Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now Been Living On Th Gold Coast 8 weeks!

Now Been Living On Th Gold Coast 8 weeks!

Old May 15th 2004, 11:25 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Now Been Living On Th Gold Coast 8 weeks!

Originally posted by sembonor
You must have picked the wrong newspaper.

That does not tally with the fact in crimestopper website. And those crimes are daily events.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/news/media.shtml
I couldn't find any Gold Coast Crimes on that web site.

Some in Ipswich, Townsville, Rockhampton, Inala, etc.

floweroscotland is talking about a local Newspaper, you quote State Figures and say they are wrong to read the local paper, to get local info !!

This thread is about the Gold Coast.

Just because someone finds a nice area, there has to be someone who trys to make it sound bad.

I can't understand some people .......

Old May 15th 2004, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

lisa I hope you settle as well as you have. we are due to move some time in the next 2-4 weeks, we haven't a clue because our solicitor is obviously dumb she won't tell us a thing. ( sorry stropping at the moment)

At this stage when the stress begins you do beging to think "oh god are we doing the right thing" so it's good to hear, posts like yours.

We look at it that its better to say "we tried it" than "I wish".

thanks again for a brilliant uplifting post

Steph
Old May 15th 2004, 2:00 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by floweroscotland
Hi everyone,

sorry i haven't posted for a few weeks, it's hard to belive i actually have a life now, not like the uk where i spent hours on the comp, thought i should give you an update on life so far on the Gold Coast.

Well it's still fantastic and i wake up every morning to sunshine thinking how lucky i am to be in such a beautiful place! I don't have one regret about leaving the UK, my kids have settled amazing, my 6 year old is loving school, made some lovely friends and she can't belive that no one is horrible, i have found that kids here are much more polite and friendly than at home to other children and adults. Her school is great, they are so laid back, have lessons outside, eat outside, get to wear shorts and t-shirt as their uniform and in the 8 weeks since we have been here i can count on one hand how many times it has rained!!!! the weather is fantastic.

My youngest daughter is 4, she has settled brilliant at kindergarten, and her confidence has grown brilliantly since we arrived here. We have something to do every night of the week here, the parks are fantastic for the kids, all with bbq's, we have 4 major theme parks 10 mins from our house, the beach is 10 mins away their is no way you can ever be bored.

My hubby is a carpenter and there are loads of jobs for all trades, he had his pick of work, i am at college and really enjoying it, thought it was time i actually got myself a trade!

I can honestly say with hand on heart it is the best thing we could ever have done moving here, we have no regrets and their is nothing i don't like about living here, apart from the insects and of course the way the australians drive, which is quite frightening!!! There is nothing i miss about home apart from decent food and family.

The cost of living i have found is more or less the same as the uk, some things are cheaper and some more expensive, groceries are much the same prices, petrol is a lot cheaper, i fill the car for half the price that i paid at home, rent is cheaper, and we have no council tax as the landlord has to pay tax and rates. Dental and medical fees are expensive as you have to pay every time you see someone, not like NHS. Here you pay to see a doctor (around $45) then you pay for the prescription on top of that. The Gold Coast is spotlessly clean, you never see pot holes in the road or litter on the streets, they take so much care of their country. It's facinating to pick up the newspaper and the top stories are 2 cars got broken into, at home i would pick up the paper to read how many had been stabbed, beat up and murdered, it's just not like that here. You can walk along the beach at midnight here, a female on her own and actually feel safe, you see females out power walking on their own all the time at night, it's a great feeling to feel safe, i'm not saying it never happens here, but no where in the same league as the uk.

The most important thing is i know my kids are going to have the best life i could ever offer living in Australia, i have seen a massive change in them since coming here, they are up in the morning around 6, as the sun is shining, they hardly ever moan they way they did at home, they are happier, and they are getting outside to play every day in the sun.

Sure i have some homesick days, but then i think of what i'm actually missing, not the place but the people, i would never go back. I know i will have some tough times here too until we settle and actually think of Australia as our home, but i also know its going to be worth it, for my kids sake.

For anyone that is having doubts all i can say is go for it, it may work or it may not for you, but at least at the end of the day you have tried it, i think the thing that doesn't work for most people is the homesickness for family, and it is hard, but you cope and it gets easier. Especially when you are waking up every morning in a beautiful country with the sun shining and thinking how lucky you are to be there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa
lisa can i ask where u came from in scotland, u made it sound so bad !
Old May 15th 2004, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

floweroscotland is talking about a local Newspaper, you quote State Figures and say they are wrong to read the local paper, to get local info !!

Just because someone finds a nice area, there has to be someone who trys to make it sound bad.

Hiya Lisa
Glad that you are having a great time.

See you soon
Old May 16th 2004, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

ABC,

Thanks for this reply, i totally agree that you find a really nice area and there are always people on here who try and knock it, what you have written is so true. I have only written what my experiences are so far, and when i pick up the gold coast bulletin daily there is very little crime compared to my local paper in the uk, and yes it might be a big holiday resort but i have yet to read about woman being attacked or raped, i don't think the gold coast is in the same league as the uk where you would be scared to walk down the street at 10pm on your own!

I can't understand why some people always have to find the negatives, I came here for a better life and i have found it, i am certainly not going out my way to find the bad points, i left those behind in the UK.

To Roy and Sue,

Keep your chin up about the house sale, it will all work out, tell Sue she can email me anytime if she needs any more info. Take care of yourselves, luv Lisa xxxxxxxxxxx

Debsy,

The Gold Coast meet is still being arranged, can't wait to have everyone out by the end of the year and we can get a big booze up xxxxxx

Graham, there are loads of jobs for electricians, you won't be short of work

Old May 16th 2004, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by soapy
lisa can i ask where u came from in scotland, u made it sound so bad !

Soapy,

I came from Inverclyde, I stayed in a nice area, but unfortunately the bad areas were only 5 mins from me, too many drugs, unemployment, crime, wasters, and worrying how my kids would turn out, and of course the weather didn't help. I totally love Scotland and it's a beautiful country and it will always be my home, but Australia is where my kids will be brought up and it has everything i could ever want and more.

Lisa
Old May 16th 2004, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

mikenvonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by floweroscotland
Soapy,

I came from Inverclyde, I stayed in a nice area, but unfortunately the bad areas were only 5 mins from me, too many drugs, unemployment, crime, wasters, and worrying how my kids would turn out, and of course the weather didn't help. I totally love Scotland and it's a beautiful country and it will always be my home, but Australia is where my kids will be brought up and it has everything i could ever want and more.

Lisa
Hi Lisa,
Nice post glad you are enjoying it!!!
We have now been on the gold Coast for two weeks and also love it, currently still in self catering apt in surfers but hope to move into rented on wednesday(new 4bed in varsity lakes, 350per week for all you folk in uk trying to budget) found great school for kids at varsity colledge but we cant enrol till we have rental agreement to prove we are in the catchment area.
Bought 2 cars on friday, but we cannot pick them up till thursday, so they have loaned us a free car so we could ditch our hire car(better give the salesman a plug as he was great with us, see lee at gold coast nissan, southport)
Two teenage daughters felt a little out of place(white) on the beach,when we first arrived, so we treated them to some sessions at a tanning salon which worked well and even better the owners invited us to a bbq and waterskiing day which was great.
Weather has been constantly 24 degrees since we have been here
Off for interview tommorrow with racing team in Southport, so fingers crossed.
Mike
Old May 22nd 2005, 11:23 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Now Been Living On Th Gold Coast 8 weeks!

Loved the post , thankyou for giving us confidence. We have had our visa for 4 weeks now and we were going through the stage of "have we done the right thoing" and we atre looking at the gold coast too, so this has spurred us on even more now to thinkabout our kids and the reasoins why we decided to go for a better life (weather mainly) , which was all lost in the nail biting visa process which makes you question your motives the whole way along!!
thaks alot and best of luck anmd we will be in touch about the meets!!
al and clare
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Now Been Living On Th Gold Coast 8 weeks!

Hi Lisa, Loved your thread and agreed with EVERYTHING you had to say my dear!! We spent a month on the Gold Coast in December 2004 and LOVED the place. What a 'Feel Good' factor you get just by being there. We plan on returning to live in Robina in July / Aug 2006. We have nothing but positive feelings about Oz but would like to know what you DON'T like about living on the Gold Coast. You have been there a while now and we appreciate that your experience will be more real than our one month stay!! Take care for now then Lisa, Love Tricky xx
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone that is having doubts all i can say is go for it, it may work or it may not for you, but at least at the end of the day you have tried it, i think the thing that doesn't work for most people is the homesickness for family, and it is hard, but you cope and it gets easier. Especially when you are waking up every morning in a beautiful country with the sun shining and thinking how lucky you are to be there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa [/QUOTE]

Hi Lisa,

We came across your original posting and have to ask if your are still enjoying living on the Gold Coast? We were in Burleigh Heads during April 2005. Which part do you live in?

Steve & Lynn
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lisa

Nice post, great update...what part of the GC have you settled in? we are there on the 20th Aug...cant wait!! I have two children 5 & 7, so pleased to hear they have settled well, my daughter is not happy about the big move...so you have made us feel a bit better

All the best and keep us posted

Sue x
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:32 pm
blossom

Wonderfully uplifting post, I'm so pleased you are enjoying the start of your new life and I wish you all the very best for the future in Australia. Keep posting - we're hoping to settle on the Sunshine Coast, but we will be staying on the Gold Coast for a month or two until we find a place we like. - If we ever sell our house that is!

Blossom

Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hi
We will also be on the Gold Coast in mid Oct. It is gr8 to hear all you have to tell us about your experiences. Keep them coming. Let us know where you have settled and why.
Keep on smiling!!!
Karen x
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by karenjc
Hi
We will also be on the Gold Coast in mid Oct. It is gr8 to hear all you have to tell us about your experiences. Keep them coming. Let us know where you have settled and why.
Keep on smiling!!!
Karen x

Err this post is over a year old......
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Err this post is over a year old......

meaning??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.