Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Old Sep 17th 2017, 7:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Originally Posted by bcworld
You can (if you meet some conditions), but only if you pay for the privilege! 70 quid to sign up for the first year and 50 a year to renew.
Wow, that's ridiculous. I'd rather queue

Many nationalities can use the e-gates at Australian airports - for free. The refurbished arrivals area at PER is now mainly e-gates (for some unknown reason my passport won't work in them)

Australia ahead of the UK yet again
Old Sep 17th 2017, 11:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Originally Posted by bcworld
You can (if you meet some conditions), but only if you pay for the privilege! 70 quid to sign up for the first year and 50 a year to renew.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
Wow, that's ridiculous. I'd rather queue

Many nationalities can use the e-gates at Australian airports - for free. The refurbished arrivals area at PER is now mainly e-gates (for some unknown reason my passport won't work in them)

Australia ahead of the UK yet again
We've done this but I agree that the added fee is a real rip-off given the amount we've just forked out for a new Tier 2 visa and IHS surcharge whereas I can breeze in and out of Oz using the Smartgates on a 651 visa for free.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh yes. Went through that rigmarole in the UK a few months ago. Cost of passport renewal plus priority processing plus return train ticket Liverpool - London - Liverpool made it what must be the most expensive renewal in the world!
Hi, When our eldest renewed his passport it was also a child to adult passport we went to Edinburgh (it was a walk in service|) we stayed one night and travelled back with a new Aussie passport for him, now we all have to go to London which is just madness, we use to have an Australia Migration centre in the centre of Manchester which was not so bad for people living in the North of England but to have to travel to London and do a face to face interview for just a renewal passport is just a nightmare really, I have to do mine soon as my Aussie passport ran out a couple of years ago not looking forward to it though....the travel not renewing lol....
Old Sep 17th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Queue's always been shorter in the non-EU line at Manchester airport for us too.
Scouse handed his British passport over at Emirates check-in a couple of days ago, which of course was refused as he didn't have a visa for Oz. The check in staff member looked at my Oz passport and told him she hoped he had one of those too, or he wasn't going anywhere At which point he sheepishly handed over his Australian passport.
Nice weather in this part of world now, Zulu!

Hi hope your good? I recently visit Cyprus (2nd time this year) and I thought of you and your husband while I was there as I met an Aussie man and his English wife who lived there....similar story to you but both did not really want to return to Aus so they bought a place in Cyprus, they have been there for 8 years now and love it...have you thought of that rather than going back to WA? just a thought, I must admit we loved Albany and the South of WA but the winters were very cold (for what we were use to in Perth) and also WET lol not much difference to parts of England really only you do get decent summers (much nicer in my opinion) than to Perth which I always found way to hot to really enjoy.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 12:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, When our eldest renewed his passport it was also a child to adult passport we went to Edinburgh (it was a walk in service|) we stayed one night and travelled back with a new Aussie passport for him, now we all have to go to London which is just madness, we use to have an Australia Migration centre in the centre of Manchester which was not so bad for people living in the North of England but to have to travel to London and do a face to face interview for just a renewal passport is just a nightmare really, I have to do mine soon as my Aussie passport ran out a couple of years ago not looking forward to it though....the travel not renewing lol....
Australia House still does outreach services, including one in Manchester. Only thing is, they only publish the dates when they'll be at the various places about a month in advance. Keep your eye on their website, you might get lucky! When I rang they said they'd just had one in Manchester so probably wouldn't be doing another one for about 3 months, which was too late for me.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 12:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi hope your good? I recently visit Cyprus (2nd time this year) and I thought of you and your husband while I was there as I met an Aussie man and his English wife who lived there....similar story to you but both did not really want to return to Aus so they bought a place in Cyprus, they have been there for 8 years now and love it...have you thought of that rather than going back to WA? just a thought, I must admit we loved Albany and the South of WA but the winters were very cold (for what we were use to in Perth) and also WET lol not much difference to parts of England really only you do get decent summers (much nicer in my opinion) than to Perth which I always found way to hot to really enjoy.
Hi Brits, all's going pretty good ta, hope it's the same for you.

We love Albany too, have friends who live down there so have visited a lot over the years. It's those Perth summers that make it off the list, I can't hack them. Yes, very much chillier in Albany in winter, if we end up there the house will have to have good heating!

Cyprus does sound lovely, but at this stage the choice is UK or Oz. We're not feeling quite as adventurous as when we were younger, and a shared language and culture with the country we live in is becoming more important to us. At least we're agreed on what we don't want

I'm still really happy on the Wirral and Scouse is more settled and content there too. He would still like to return to Oz though. We've decided to just chug along as we are for now, wait until I get British citizenship, and decide then. As he so rightly says, a lot can happen in 3 years! xx
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

SJB101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
I've been in Australia 9 years, have citizenship, but never got round to getting an Australian passport.

Something has happened in the UK and I'm considering a trip back.

I just checked and my UK passport expires in December.
I never had any plans to renew by UK passport, and will get an Australian one.

But, before then, If I go, it'll be a quick visit (one week)...

Do Australia immigration care if I leave on a UK passport only valid for a few more months?

Do the UK care?

Thanks in advance...
Dont you need 6 months left on the passport??
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SJB101
Dont you need 6 months left on the passport??
You've not read any of the other replies have you?
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

SJB101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You've not read any of the other replies have you?
Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SJB101