Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not sure about this...need some encouragement!

Not sure about this...need some encouragement!

Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:29 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure about this...need some encouragement!

Hi

Where to start.......

Well my agent called today and advised that DIMIA have said there is no problems with our case re Haydn's age etc, so it looks like we are in....the rest is really a formality she said...DIMIA advised I will have my Visa in the next 4-7 months. :scared:

So after all the dreaming and hoping, it looks like it is becoming a reality and I am quite frankly all of a sudden terrified. What the hell are we doing? Leaving secure and good jobs, a brand new house (with a whopping mortgage! ) a daughter who loves her school and all our wonderful friends and family. I am so close to my Mum...I feel so weird about all this today. I know it is normal to feel all this, but to be honest, I think I completely underestimated the strength of my feelings to the news today....
My parents are talking about selling up, buying a smaller house in the UK and a home in Adelaide..but that is years off...as I guess we will need to have PR to sponsor them...and that will take at least 3 years.

So, remind me why I am doing this and give me some wise words before I bottle out!

Lucy
x
Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:38 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure about this...need some encouragement!

Originally Posted by lucyb

So, remind me why I am doing this and give me some wise words before I bottle out!

Lucy
x
I think you're doing it because you can!!!!! And you have the greatest chance of success as you've made a success of things over here

Anyway what have you got to lose? Go there stay until you get Citizenship, and then decide if it's for you or not... remember that Australia is a big place so you may want to try several areas before you finally settle.

(I shouldn't really be talking to you as you're a post July applicant and I'm envious!!!!!! and waiting.....waiting.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Wishing you all the best of luck with your new life - go for it!

x
Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:53 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Hi

Where to start.......

Well my agent called today and advised that DIMIA have said there is no problems with our case re Haydn's age etc, so it looks like we are in....the rest is really a formality she said...DIMIA advised I will have my Visa in the next 4-7 months. :scared:

So after all the dreaming and hoping, it looks like it is becoming a reality and I am quite frankly all of a sudden terrified. What the hell are we doing? Leaving secure and good jobs, a brand new house (with a whopping mortgage! ) a daughter who loves her school and all our wonderful friends and family. I am so close to my Mum...I feel so weird about all this today. I know it is normal to feel all this, but to be honest, I think I completely underestimated the strength of my feelings to the news today....
My parents are talking about selling up, buying a smaller house in the UK and a home in Adelaide..but that is years off...as I guess we will need to have PR to sponsor them...and that will take at least 3 years.

Lucy
x

hi lucy.

not that i can offer any suggestions to you, but i'm sat here 4 days away from the big day and i'm still asking myself similar questions. Maybe i should have thought about this before i got this far? but then again maybe i wouldn't have got this far if i had.

it still feels, like it always has, that it's not me leaving, someone else will step into my shoes at the last moment and fly out there instead. I just don't know what to make of it all.

My family and friends are behaving like nothing is going to change. my mum still hasn't said anything to me about going. The only thing i've heard her say is that she knows it's the best thing for me. So apart from the fact i'm now carless, bikeless and homeless nothing has really changed. i didn't think it would feel like this.

anyway, whatever you decide, i hope it all works out for you.

Leigh
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:08 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Hi

Where to start.......

Lucy
x
Lucy b
i think you would be worried if you never had these feelings as you say everything is already in place here with the jobs and house but!!!!
think what kind of start the kids will have in aus. And as you have already said your family are already planning on coming out to you. its like when you have changed jobs and the doubts creep in about is this the right move or not, the only thing is if you don't try at least afew months/years down the line the what ifs will creep in.
Keep the faith, you started out on this journey for a good reason
A.T.B
andy
Old Sep 14th 2004, 7:35 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lucy. I'm with Arnie "because you can"
Look back at all the reasons that made you start the process - has anything changed dramatically? I doubt it.
Look at what you can offer your kids in terms of the active outdoor lifestyle that's so difficult here.
Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of the big mortgage and take on a much smaller one.
And if you parents are up for it like they sound, then maybe in a couple of years they will be able to buy a holiday home near you and then you'll really have the best of both I feel.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hi Lucy. I'm with Arnie "because you can"
Look back at all the reasons that made you start the process - has anything changed dramatically? I doubt it.
Look at what you can offer your kids in terms of the active outdoor lifestyle that's so difficult here.
Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of the big mortgage and take on a much smaller one.
And if you parents are up for it like they sound, then maybe in a couple of years they will be able to buy a holiday home near you and then you'll really have the best of both I feel.

Thanks Wayne and everyone else!!

Just spoke to Kala whi is knee deep in packing...this is so surreal..cant believe it is really happening! :scared:
Old Sep 14th 2004, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

hi lucyb,

your situation sounds very much like mine, and if you are any thing like me the migration bit, will be the first thing that you think about when you wake up!

then you look at your kids and think what am i doing? what am i doing???

then you go to your friends in the morning time, when son is at school and daughter at nursery, and end up crying into your coffee, because you cannot imagine not having that person in your life on a daily basis!!!

and your family are, even though annoying sometimes, your family, and you love them regardless and wonder what it will be like not meeting your mum/cousin/grandma/auntie for lunch and having a good old moan and good laugh about everything, with people who don't judge you regardless, and stand up for you (even if perhaps your wrong - never)!!!

and even though you have a whopping mortgage, the house that you live in and thought 6 months ago, this is too small, i need another one, all of a sudden you find yourself strangely attached to it and looking at it in a whole new light!!!

and the list goes on!!!

so why do you go, because my philosophy of late has been, and i don't want to sound all sentimental, but it is, 'you only live once'! simple as that... if it goes belly up you come back, but at least having tried it!

i have wanted to go to australia for a while now, never had the courage to do anything about it, imagined that i would always be here, and then things change, important things and give you a good kick up the arse!!

so, if it dosen't work out, we just come back, sit in the garden with our friends and family over a glass of wine, and start again!!! :scared:

good luck,

bob xxx

reading this i don't think it's going to help!
Old Sep 14th 2004, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by honeybob
hi lucyb,

your situation sounds very much like mine, and if you are any thing like me the migration bit, will be the first thing that you think about when you wake up!

then you look at your kids and think what am i doing? what am i doing???

then you go to your friends in the morning time, when son is at school and daughter at nursery, and end up crying into your coffee, because you cannot imagine not having that person in your life on a daily basis!!!

and your family are, even though annoying sometimes, your family, and you love them regardless and wonder what it will be like not meeting your mum/cousin/grandma/auntie for lunch and having a good old moan and good laugh about everything, with people who don't judge you regardless, and stand up for you (even if perhaps your wrong - never)!!!

and even though you have a whopping mortgage, the house that you live in and thought 6 months ago, this is too small, i need another one, all of a sudden you find yourself strangely attached to it and looking at it in a whole new light!!!

and the list goes on!!!

so why do you go, because my philosophy of late has been, and i don't want to sound all sentimental, but it is, 'you only live once'! simple as that... if it goes belly up you come back, but at least having tried it!

i have wanted to go to australia for a while now, never had the courage to do anything about it, imagined that i would always be here, and then things change, important things and give you a good kick up the arse!!

so, if it dosen't work out, we just come back, sit in the garden with our friends and family over a glass of wine, and start again!!! :scared:

good luck,

bob xxx

reading this i don't think it's going to help!

Bob,

What a fantastic post...I think you are me in a parallel universe..oo eer!
I was at a coffee morning at a friends this morning and I got really choked looking at all my friends......shame you arent coming to Adelaide!!! You're right...we only live once....bugger it!! Im positive about this now!!!

Lucy
xxx
Old Sep 14th 2004, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road

Bob,

I was at a coffee morning at a friends this morning and I got really choked looking at all my friends......shame you arent coming to Adelaide!!! You're right...we only live once....bugger it!! Im positive about this now!!!

Lucy
xxx
Lucy

You are doing this because you can.

Australia really is the lucky country - I lived there for 6 years and thank god I got my citizenship so I can return, which I am doing, next year, to Perth.

To have the opportunity is a genuine priviledge - you have the choice, so go there, enjoy, and if you decide down the track its not for you, well, you can always return.

But I bet you don't!!!

brionyj
Old Sep 14th 2004, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

Bob,

Lucy
xxx
i'm really chuffed that i cheered you up, honestly...

hey, if my mate dosen't go to gold coast as intended, may stalk you in adelaide, you sound like me, friends and what you share is so important!!

joking aside, i hope you do feel more positive, just a few daft words can make a little bit of difference, or at least, a bit more bearable...

haven't you got a new born babe??

bob x
Old Sep 14th 2004, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by honeybob
i'm really chuffed that i cheered you up, honestly...

hey, if my mate dosen't go to gold coast as intended, may stalk you in adelaide, you sound like me, friends and what you share is so important!!

joking aside, i hope you do feel more positive, just a few daft words can make a little bit of difference, or at least, a bit more bearable...

haven't you got a new born babe??

bob x

Yes I have! Toby is 20 weeks this week...my gorgeous little man...and Charlotte is nearly 6 now!!
Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I have! Toby is 20 weeks this week...my gorgeous little man...and Charlotte is nearly 6 now!!
lush!!!!! love their names, really liked charlotte when i was pregnant with my daughter but her daddy just loved the name 'ella'!!!!

my gorgeous little man (Con) is 7 now and so grown up, he's already worrying about how he will get married and can they live with us!

ella is 2, and is a challenge, hopefully just a phase...

bob x
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:32 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Thanks Wayne and everyone else!!

Just spoke to Kala whi is knee deep in packing...this is so surreal..cant believe it is really happening! :scared:
Hey ya birdy,

Well almost done and have offcially moved to my dads aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh (this is not goin to be good, I have lived here an hour and he has already drunk my entire stock of Jack Daniels)

You are in the exact mood as me yesterday, Trust me it will keep coming and going and It's isn't gonna dissapear for good for a while yet but before you know it you will be in Australia having the time of your life thinking what was I ever worried about, if not then hey you can always head back to England or come and see me in Gero.

I'll see ya on thurs, we'll have a drink or ten and everything will look rosey.

Kala
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Where to start.......

Lucy
x
I know it's a cliche - but your life is not just a practice run and you really do have to have a go and take your chances.
Your family and friends love you because of who you are - and if this is the decision you make then they are not going to love you less for it.
I am also very close to my mum - but she understands that I need to do this as I am sure your mum does as well.
Cas
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lucy,

I'm new to this forum and just startng out on the looooong road to Aus.

I really envy you having gotten this far. Aren't we fortunate to have this opportunity? I think the network on this forum will give you encouragement and support all the way. Live the dream!

Good on yer!

Tony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.