Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not so expensive? (grocery comparison)

Not so expensive? (grocery comparison)

Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:13 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not so expensive? (grocery comparison)

Originally Posted by AllGoode
There is no mention of either the active ingredients or their concentrations that I can see or find for either product. All I can go on then is how efficient it is:- how much it takes to perform adequately.

Woolies directions for use suggest: 60mL for small washes, 125mL for large washes and an extra 60mL to extra 185mL for heavily soiled clothing. I have found that is about right for my largish top loader machine. A little directly on extra dirty shirt collars or other stains works nicely.

If you're doing a price comparisons, you have to compare similar products.

Your Woolies product is a normal non-concentrate.

The Asda product is a concentrate (you understand what that means, yes? A 1l bottle is equivalent to a 2l non-concentrate)

Therefore in your price comparison where you've allowed 4 x the Asda product for 2 x the Woolies product, it's incorrect.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:15 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I have lurked here a while and have become interested in why some posters report that they find things expensive in Australia.

The easiest to compare shopping appears to be groceries because very similar things are offered in a very similar way in both Britain and Australia.

This week we had to do our shopping (for 2) all in Woolworths early Saturday evening when the other shops were closed, so I thought a direct item by item comparison of our weekly shop cost in Woolworths and ASDA would be more comparable.

The cost: Woolworths $139.50, ASDA $144.00 (@ $1.65 / £ 1.00).

Post a scan of your weekly shopping receipt if you like; it could be interesting / helpful.

Here is my weekly grocery shopping receipt and analysis:
You seem to have a lot of spare time.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:18 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
It's a stretch for me to compare a 6 pack of normal strength Johnny Walker And Coke and a 4 pack of Premium.

They are both expensive but I'm going to buy one!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:19 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It's a stretch for me to compare a 6 pack of normal strength Johnny Walker And Coke and a 4 pack of Premium.

Could you get me a large bottle of Blue Label Smirnoff and an IV while you're there?

Ta in advance.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Could you get me a large bottle of Blue Label Smirnoff and an IV while you're there?

Ta in advance.
Sounds like we have plan ... now, should I fill up with standard unleaded or the high octane stuff?

Apparently cheapo unleaded is false economy ... I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to put us straight.

For the car that is, I'm not into sniffing, I haven't assimilated that far ...
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:25 am
Officially Bewildered

Sounds like we have plan ... now, should I fill up with standard unleaded or the high octane stuff?

Apparently cheapo unleaded is false economy ... I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to put us straight.

For the car that is, I'm not into sniffing, I haven't assimilated that far ...
You're being too much of a boy now.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:27 am
Mostly Harmless

You're being too much of a boy now.
You can never go too Man in QLD ... the only way I could get more heterosexual would be to live in Manly.

Having said that I don't mind a bit of pampering
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:46 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

If you're doing a price comparisons, you have to compare similar products.

Your Woolies product is a normal non-concentrate.

The Asda product is a concentrate (you understand what that means, yes? A 1l bottle is equivalent to a 2l non-concentrate)

Therefore in your price comparison where you've allowed 4 x the Asda product for 2 x the Woolies product, it's incorrect.
You are claiming that the ASDA Smartprice Biological - liquid wash is twice as concentrated as the Woolies product. Can you provide proof of that?

The ASDA product label has the word "concentrated" in it. It might mean exactly what is stated, say concentrated by say 1%; much as the word "natural" is used; just useless marketing words. I can not find or read an actual concentration from the label image.

Surely efficiency and price is a more important factor than whether or not the label has the word "concentrated" on it?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:49 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I am retired so I no longer waste time working. That gives extra time to explore.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:50 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

You can never go too Man in QLD ... the only way I could get more heterosexual would be to live in Manly.

Having said that I don't mind a bit of pampering
I am Scottish and nothing makes you feel more manly than wearing a kilt! I know to the uninitiated that wearing a skirt may seem the opposite of manliness but I wore it to the Virgin Blue birthday party one year and in spite of being a very average looking bloke, I was cracked onto by hot chicks the entire night!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:51 am
Banned

Stop consuming them and your comparative powers might return, if you are lucky.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

You are claiming that the ASDA Smartprice Biological - liquid wash is twice as concentrated as the Woolies product. Can you provide proof of that?

Maybe stats and links your not ABC diamnonds cousin are you
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that, I'm an extremely lazy shopper who doesn't look at prices, I just buy what I want to buy, and I haven't really seen a noticeable rise in my shopping costs.
I don't believe that "lazy" is the correct term for someone who doesn't check the price of an item or service before purchasing

Though given that you don't bother to check prices.......how do you know what you 'shopping costs' are or were ???

Last edited by Hino; Mar 29th 2010 at 3:03 am.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Maybe stats and links your not ABC diamnonds cousin are you
Its a big world containing far stranger things; but not to my knowledge.

I think the reason I made the first post on this thread was because my experience of prices and costs seem at considerable odds with that of other posters.

I believed that my shopping was about the same price or cheaper in Australia.

I wanted verifyable and quantifiable proof that it was not I who was odd.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:04 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hino
I don't believe that "lazy" is the correct term for someone who doesn't check the price of an item or service before purchasing.

Though given that you don't bother to check prices.......how do you know what you 'shopping costs' are or were ???
They have this marvellous system where they scan all the items in your basket and some sort of black magic calculates the cost of it all. You then hand over a little rectangle of plastic and some money disappears from your account. This gives you a rough idea of how much it costs for your groceries....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.