Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not going home, but........

Not going home, but........

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:29 pm
BLC

Default Re: Not going home, but........

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Probably for the same reason that some people who are leaving UK take a pop at the UK - nowhere is perfect but if you are unsettled and unhappy everything seems worse. I just wish people would try and think about how the other person is feeling a bit more before jumping on them and verbally mugging them. It takes a lot of guts to say something isn`t working out and it takes even more guts to either stay or return "home". At the end of
the day I think posting your thoughts and feelings on here is a good way of letting off steam and it`s amazing how better it can feel for getting something off your chest. It never ceases to amaze me how supportive people can be on this site and yet others seem to enjoy kicking people when they are down.
Ditto everyone on this, I have to say the amount of truly good posters that have fallen by the wayside, de-registered or had to put up with the most childish attacks is not funny No in fact I am going to say PATHETIC!

I don't agree with all posts on here, now and again I will say my piece to them but at the end of the day I try to do in an adult fashion without personal attack. I have realised it is best to leave well alone at times too.

Heres to more FREE speech

Last edited by BLC; Aug 23rd 2005 at 6:02 pm. Reason: Lousy grammer

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:54 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree well put!
I for one enjoy reading all opinions good bad indifferent on Oz and before i found this site was probably part of the rose tinted specs brigade!!
Now through other peoples opinions and experiences has in a small way opened my eyes and has helped prepare me for when we actually go.
I stay away from the threads that get nasty personally as i think it is totally unnessacary.

I will continue reading everyones threads of experiences good and bad and hopefully one day will able to give my honest opinions!

Cheers Kris
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:31 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

good post Poll!!

sue x
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
good post Poll!!

sue x
I agree with all your comments polly and you write so eliquently. i was sorry to hear you are not well and i wish you good health soon.

i don't always agree when some go off on a tangent as sometimes as it gets too personal and i dont want to get involved. everyone has the right to opinions and others should show respect and rather than be critical try to answer constructively.

i remember my first couple of threads on here last year, it took me a good while to pluck up the courage to post, i was shot down to pieces for asking a question about consent from my ex! what i do remember though are the kind comments i recieved, one in particular from sue, who incidently we have since met, she came on my hen night!

i was only wondering this morning what happened to jills banana diarys i used to piss myself laughing some days, were they stopped because of critisisms from others then?

good luck with everything polly, and i hope one day you will find happiness wherever you are in this world.

debbie
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

BESWETAJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Probably for the same reason that some people who are leaving UK take a pop at the UK - nowhere is perfect but if you are unsettled and unhappy everything seems worse. I just wish people would try and think about how the other person is feeling a bit more before jumping on them and verbally mugging them. It takes a lot of guts to say something isn`t working out and it takes even more guts to either stay or return "home". At the end of
the day I think posting your thoughts and feelings on here is a good way of letting off steam and it`s amazing how better it can feel for getting something off your chest. It never ceases to amaze me how supportive people can be on this site and yet others seem to enjoy kicking people when they are down.
I - could - not - give - a - toss - what - people - think. Slap me in the face -ouch that hurts - criticise because I come and go and come and go - doesn't bother me in the least and the only people my country-hopping it affects are the people it affects.

The Poet
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:08 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BESWETAJ
I - could - not - give - a - toss - what - people - think. Slap me in the face -ouch that hurts - criticise because I come and go and come and go - doesn't bother me in the least and the only people my country-hopping it affects are the people it affects.

The Poet
Huh??
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
I agree with all your comments polly and you write so eliquently. i was sorry to hear you are not well and i wish you good health soon.

i don't always agree when some go off on a tangent as sometimes as it gets too personal and i dont want to get involved. everyone has the right to opinions and others should show respect and rather than be critical try to answer constructively.

i remember my first couple of threads on here last year, it took me a good while to pluck up the courage to post, i was shot down to pieces for asking a question about consent from my ex! what i do remember though are the kind comments i recieved, one in particular from sue, who incidently we have since met, she came on my hen night!

i was only wondering this morning what happened to jills banana diarys i used to piss myself laughing some days, were they stopped because of critisisms from others then?

good luck with everything polly, and i hope one day you will find happiness wherever you are in this world.

debbie
Yes, Jill stopped the diaries due to somebody slagging them off. the person in question was banned for a while although they did apologise and still post. the poster is quite nice actually, i think it just got a bit out of hand.. anyway, jill accepted the apology and it was all sorted but then it kept getting brought up .

I agree that there seems to be a lot on here who are quick to put others down. i like reading the negative aspects as well because that way you get a balanced view. i certainly think that i am a lot more realistic about oz than i was and am going into it with my eyes open.

I feel that the slatings are getting more regular and hence I don't come on here as much as i used to. i think i will be one of those who dissapear for a while soon. it gets me down sometimes reading some of the nasty comments that are made. Everybody should be entitled to their opinion.

Good post pollyanna. I hope you start to feel better soon

Tracey
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:41 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by tracey.d

I feel that the slatings are getting more regular and hence I don't come on here as much as i used to. i think i will be one of those who dissapear for a while soon. it gets me down sometimes reading some of the nasty comments that are made. Everybody should be entitled to their opinion.

Tracey
To those considering this, please don't, I am sick of bullying behaviour and I reckon that it needs to be addressed so we don't lose good people.

B

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BESWETAJ

The Poet

i know i'm not the brightest button! but........... huh, i really don't get what you mean!? call me old fashioned!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Very well put. Yes other posters should be more open minded.My son has lived down under for quite a few years with his family, and knows me well enough to know that his old mum (nearly 62) will be happy when she gets there. It has taken me 3 years to make up my mind to go, and no, I am not expecting it be easy. At the end of the day, I believe there to be not the same problems to face that befalls those to migrate to places like Spain, like language, driving on a different side etc, but i know there will be problems of a sort. It will take adjustment. Also, I realise that living there will not be the same as being on holiday. A lot of folk go with unrealistic expectations, and the old saying " one mans meat is another mans poison" springs to mind. So roll on the time when I go(when the house sells) I cannot wait to take on the challenge. Read other peoples opinions by all means, but everyone is an individual. "Life is a box a chocolates............."
Suzz
Hi Suzz, Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your move. It's wonderful that a lady of your generation who is brave enough to take up the challenge deserves every good wish. You obviously love your son and family very much to uproot all that you know to go and join them. My Aunt & Uncle who are now in their early 70's are taking a two month trip to see their daughter next week. This will be their 4th trip since my cousin moved 8 years ago. They love it in Australia, but they had never even flown before their daughter emigrated! I think they would make the move if it wasn't for their other children and grandchildren still over here. Majority rules in their case.

Hope everything goes well for you!

Sandy
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:42 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote something similar just the other night and deleted it for a couple of reasons. First one being it's usually the same people doing the slating, some are very quick to judge. Second I'm of the same mind of a lot of posters who've been here a while, I'm just not bothered anymore. I can't be doing with the snide comments. Forget an apostrophe, and someone's there to take the piss.
Keep on posting, I will, just not as often as I used to
Did I use enough apostrophes this time, I wonder?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:57 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cre'sta57
I wrote somethin'g similar jus't the other night and delet'ed it for a couple of reason's. First one being it's u'sually the same peop'le doing the sla'ting, some ar'e very quick to judge. Second I'm of the same m'ind of a lot of po'ster's who've been here a w'hile, I'm ju'st no't bothered anymore. I can't be doin'g with the s'nide comment's. Forget an a'po'stro'phe, and some'one's the're to take the pi'ss.
Keep on po'sting, I wi'll, ju'st not a's often a's I u'sed to
Did I u'se enough ap'os'trophe's thi's time, I wonder?
I think you used too many

Cheers

DagBoy
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

This has to be the third post in as many hours on the same subject, is there not a special section for these types of posts?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:24 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wildmark
This has to be the third post in as many hours on the same subject, is there not a special section for these types of posts?

Its the way the forum works for some reason. I've noticed there are themes. One day there are lots of threads about schools, the next day its houses, the next day about medicare, the next about having kids in Oz etc . It must be forum dynamics or something. I could write a thesis on it!

Todays theme seems to be or have been the going home versus not going home debate and abusive posters.

Or maybe I just read the threads that interest me!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:31 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We've all read the recent threads from people who have packed up and gone back to the UK; they have their own reasons for it and I wish other posters would respect these reasons. Equally there have been some great threads lately from people who are settled here and happy - again, they have their own reasons for this, and are due the same respect.

Why are so many people so quick to judge others by their standards? Everyone is an individual, and everyone is entitled to their own views about how/where to live. And I'll bet a lot of the returnees have reasons that they don't make public, as well. Life's rich tapestry is made that way because we are all individual, and no one has the right to judge anyone else's reasons - because what is true for one person may be way off the mark when looking at what the next person wants out of life.

Yes, I'm waffling, but I hope some of it makes sense. I just want a few posters to learn a bit more tolerance - I guess thats the word. The forum exists for positive/negative/realistic views, and they all have an equal right to be written here.

I feel that also some people do not realise the heart-seeking that goes on when someone is not entirely happy in a new country. If some people knew what others go through in order to try to build a life in a new country, maybe they would not be so quick to condemn people for leaving.
When you know what its like to fight against constant ill-health, and discomfort, to feel lonely and in need of friends that understand you, to be totally baffled by systems and rules and methods of working; then you will start to understand why some people give up and leave.

This country is not paradise, no country is. This country does not suit everyone - no country does. Everyone has the right to make a choice to return or to stay and it takes guts to post their feelings about it. Have some respect, people, and instead of criticising, put yourselves in the shoes of the people writing the threads.

Polly
(sticking it out against the odds cos she's madly in love with The Bloke)
And so say all of us!!! (well most of us)
I too miss Jill's Banana diaries

Ang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.