Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northern Beaches Sydney

Northern Beaches Sydney

Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Northern Beaches Sydney

Originally Posted by Dijana01
Ah!
We didn't use to. This must have happened in the last 10 years. Thanks!
You can always get the SCV 444, you apply on arrival and as long as your papers are in order you will be granted it on the spot but it is only a 400 series visa (temporary).

Not sure if Kiwis on a 444 are treated like people on 457 when it comes to school fees. Someone mentioned $4500 per child.. I would check that out first. Then no nasty surprises.

If you are looking to go permanent and definitely avoid all that hassle you will have to apply the same as everyone else
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dijana01
Thanks! Thats a good website (so much info a missed it on the earlier post).
Looks like better commute times from places like Turramurra, Hornsby, Gordon, Pymble, North Ryde. What are these places like?
Hornsby and the suburbs North of that are great places for families. I meet a lot of people from Hornsby Heights at swimming lessons with the kids. We chose Berowra because it's a bit less built up, very family friendly and the fast trains stop there just before they go to Hornsby.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:07 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
You can always get the SCV 444, you apply on arrival and as long as your papers are in order you will be granted it on the spot but it is only a 400 series visa (temporary).

Not sure if Kiwis on a 444 are treated like people on 457 when it comes to school fees. Someone mentioned $4500 per child.. I would check that out first. Then no nasty surprises.

If you are looking to go permanent and definitely avoid all that hassle you will have to apply the same as everyone else
http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu....eespayment.pdf
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:10 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Hornsby and the suburbs North of that are great places for families. I meet a lot of people from Hornsby Heights at swimming lessons with the kids. We chose Berowra because it's a bit less built up, very family friendly and the fast trains stop there just before they go to Hornsby.
We looked at there and you can get a lot of house for your money, but my concern was its a bit out of the way and is far too close to things that bite you!! Could you genuinely live there as a double income family, i.e. both working, without own transport?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paddyo
We looked at there and you can get a lot of house for your money, but my concern was its a bit out of the way and is far too close to things that bite you!! Could you genuinely live there as a double income family, i.e. both working, without own transport?
I suppose we have seen a redback in the garden, once in the 8 months that we've been here. Oh yes, and a blue tongued lizard at the weekend, but that was just cute!

My OH cycles to the station and commutes by train. There is also a bus that goes around the whole of Berowra to the station for $2 on a continuous loop most of the day. I don't work at the moment. A lot of my friends living here are double income families. I guess if you can afford it then go for the beaches. I prefer being in Berowra because I wouldn't want life to just be beach and you can jump on the freeway so easily here to be in Newcastle in less than 2 hours, Blue Mountains less than 2 hours, beaches less than 1 hour.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
I suppose we have seen a redback in the garden, once in the 8 months that we've been here. Oh yes, and a blue tongued lizard at the weekend, but that was just cute!

My OH cycles to the station and commutes by train. There is also a bus that goes around the whole of Berowra to the station for $2 on a continuous loop most of the day. I don't work at the moment. A lot of my friends living here are double income families. I guess if you can afford it then go for the beaches. I prefer being in Berowra because I wouldn't want life to just be beach and you can jump on the freeway so easily here to be in Newcastle in less than 2 hours, Blue Mountains less than 2 hours, beaches less than 1 hour.
Understand all that, apart from the Newcastle part!!! lol Been there a few times with work....makes Newcastle in the UK look positively fabulous!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Understand all that, apart from the Newcastle part!!! lol Been there a few times with work....makes Newcastle in the UK look positively fabulous!!
Wouldn't necessarily go to Newcastle was just using it as an example. We've got relatives in Medowie, which is just a bit North of Newcastle.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:21 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

You'd need at least 1 car I would say. Otherwise if you were able to walk to Berowra station it would be too far to walk to the Coles or IGA at Berowra Heights, and vice versa. Plus the locals would think you were nuts.

Sure there are snakes and spiders (have seen funnelweb and diamond python in back garden), but you also get them in the other suburbs you mentioned.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Dijana01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NBKH
Not if kids have a valise NZ passport no fees
Call them dept of education onPh: +61 1300 300 229
They have always been very friendly and helpful to me
Lesley
Http://www.northernbeachesknow-how.com.au
Thanks thats very helpful. Kids have NZ passports. There seems no reason for me to get anything other than the temporary visa I get automatically on arrival.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:40 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Big Galah
You'd need at least 1 car I would say. Otherwise if you were able to walk to Berowra station it would be too far to walk to the Coles or IGA at Berowra Heights, and vice versa. Plus the locals would think you were nuts.

Sure there are snakes and spiders (have seen funnelweb and diamond python in back garden), but you also get them in the other suburbs you mentioned.
WHAT????? No effing way have I seen anything that slithers, crawls or bites me where I live (Northern Beaches)!!! Sod nature, I want a concrete jungle!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Where I used to live in Burwood in the innerwest there were loads of Redbacks in the back garden, I live in the hills now quite close to the bushland beside the M2 and have not seen any spiders in the 2 years I lived here... Although the last few weeks I parked the car out the front under some big trees and there like brown syrup stains all over it... Only caught on that it's Fruit Bat crap... The bats are massive about the size of your average cat with wings.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:12 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Where I used to live in Burwood in the innerwest there were loads of Redbacks in the back garden, I live in the hills now quite close to the bushland beside the M2 and have not seen any spiders in the 2 years I lived here... Although the last few weeks I parked the car out the front under some big trees and there like brown syrup stains all over it... Only caught on that it's Fruit Bat crap... The bats are massive about the size of your average cat with wings.
ah...that will be the re-distribution of the tribe that was in the Botanical Gardens then!!! They decided to move them this year and used annoying noises to get rid of them...rather prophetic actuallly!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ah...that will be the re-distribution of the tribe that was in the Botanical Gardens then!!! They decided to move them this year and used annoying noises to get rid of them...rather prophetic actuallly!!
There used to be cockatoo's in those trees and they have moved out and now we have the bats, have seen the odd Blue Tongue once or twice but usually only around Christmas time.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:38 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

OP: my OH works in a field related to speech therapy (as in, OH works with a lot of speech therapists but isn't one). It's a good profession to be in in Sydney - there seems to be a fair amount of work.

OH also works towards Ryde - and the crappiness of the commute is not an exaggeration. You should pick somewhere to live where at least one of you, and preferably both of you, can commute by public transport and not only by car. But having said that, if you want beaches and you've got the cheese, don't forget that there are plenty of kid-friendly riverfront beaches in Hunters Hill, Woolwich, etc.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Dijana01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
OP: my OH works in a field related to speech therapy (as in, OH works with a lot of speech therapists but isn't one). It's a good profession to be in in Sydney - there seems to be a fair amount of work.

OH also works towards Ryde - and the crappiness of the commute is not an exaggeration. You should pick somewhere to live where at least one of you, and preferably both of you, can commute by public transport and not only by car. But having said that, if you want beaches and you've got the cheese, don't forget that there are plenty of kid-friendly riverfront beaches in Hunters Hill, Woolwich, etc.
Thanks. I work with adults and I'm not sure the job market is as good as if I was a paediatric Speech Therapist. But let me know if your OH thinks otherwise...

Had a look at Hunters Hill. OMG. Beautiful but not really in our league!! We need at least 4 beds and a place big enough in Hunters Hill would be little more than a fantasy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.