Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

north Sydney secondary girls schools < $15k/year?

north Sydney secondary girls schools < $15k/year?

Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

juckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to behold
Default north Sydney secondary girls schools < $15k/year?

We are trying to find a secondary girls schools in Sydney that will take our 13 year old Daughter, but all of the private ones I have found in north Sydney are in the 25k + bracket. That is out of our price bracket.

Having had terrible experiences with our eldest daughter at a mixed comp here in the UK, my Wife and I will not send our Daughter to a co-ed.

The selective girls schools in north Sydney are over subscribed, and I have contacted most of them and been told that entry mid year is not possible, and getting a place in year 8 is nigh on impossible as most students do not leave, so places do not come up.

Does anyone know whether

a) there is a web site that lists private schools and fees for Sydney so as to save me blindly trawling each schools web site?

b) there is a good girls school in north Sydney either state or public (less than 15k/year)?

I have a job offer in the hand, but unless I can arrange satisfactory schooling in the next week I will have little option but to reject the offer :-(

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: north Sydney secondary girls schools < $15k/year?

When you say north Sydney, do you mean the suburb of North Sydney or are you referring to any of the suburbs north of the harbour? The generic name for the northern suburbs is 'North Shore'.

Have you checked out the Catholic High schools? They're almost always single sex and there would be a few on the North Shore. Fees are mostly reasonable and you don't have to be catholic to attend.

Have you seen this site? http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au/search.php
You can search for all types of school by area and filter on Girls' Schools only.

Last edited by NickyC; Mar 22nd 2015 at 1:53 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

juckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NickyC
When you say north Sydney, do you mean the suburb of North Sydney or are you referring to any of the suburbs north of the harbour? The generic name for the northern suburbs is 'North Shore'.

Have you checked out the Catholic High schools? They're almost always single sex and there would be a few on the North Shore. Fees are mostly reasonable and you don't have to be catholic to attend.

Have you seen this site? Australian Schools Directory
You can search for all types of school by area and filter on Girls' Schools only.
Hi NickyC,

Apologies, when I say Northern Sydney I mean the areas around Hornsby / Berowra / Davidson / Terrey Hills

I have used the web site you mention, but it does not give an indication of the schools fees. Your point regarding catholic schools being cheaper will help me when searching again though.

Thanks

ps - I have tried searching for Catholic / Secondary / Girls / schools in both Hornsby suburbs and the same search in North Shore suburbs and it comes back with 1 result. I suspect there is more than one catholic girls school in those two areas?

Last edited by juckky; Mar 22nd 2015 at 8:27 am. Reason: Confusioned
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 9:07 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

The obvious ones that spring to mind are the likes of Loreto and Pymble Ladies' College, but they'd be outside your budget. I don't know about the cost of Abbotsleigh; I suspect in the Loreto bracket, but may be worth a look. Otherwise, public selective, there's Hornsby Girls' and Asquith Girls' - you've probably found that they're very competitive. Mercy Catholic College might be an option, if you'd be happy to look further afield? (As in Chatswood. There are always lots of school children on the north shore line trains, IME.)

The other thing I thought I'd mention is to be aware when you're looking at fees whether you'd be charged at domestic or international rates, depending on the visa that you'd be entering on.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I found 7 catholic girls' secondary schools on the North Shore or Northern beaches. Not all are close to your desired areas, though. They are:

Loreto, Normanhurst
Stella Maris, Manly
Brigidine, St Ives
Mercy Catholic College, Chatswood
Monte St Angelo, North Sydney
Loreto, Kirribilli
Marist Sisters, Woolwich

I believe the two Loretos and Monte St Angelo are independent catholic schools (rather than cheaper systemic schools) so are likely to be more expensive than the others.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 8:19 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Saint Benedict College at Pennant Hills is a good school, fees are about $10k per year depending upon which year the student is in. 15 mins from Hornsby. They have a very informative website of you google it.