Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

North east australia back to the north east uk

North east australia back to the north east uk

Old May 22nd 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North east australia back to the north east uk

Originally Posted by spartacus
Agreed. There can't have been a worse time, financially, to migrate than now, and its likely to only get worse in the short term.

Is a Greggs' sausageroll recognised as a standard method of measurement for comparing relative living costs?

The Greggs sausage roll is used as an international standard by the UN economists to work out parity between nations very much as the Macdonald 1/4 pounder. However the Greggs stottie has lost that honour due to metrification.

Keel
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
The chillies have gone mad,loads of them.The cook is ringing Thai restaurants up to see if they want any .
My "pointing to heaven chillies" are going mental right now, as are my Lebanese eggplant...err..plants.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnknight001
i live in the uk, i filled up with fuel yesterday at 8 am, on my way past the garage at 4 pm it had gone up by 2 pence per litre, i think all in all 12 p per litre in a few months, cost of food going up by the week, cost of beer always going up, cost of cigs always going up, cost of holidays always going up, cost of owning your own home always rising, weather still cold ,wet , dark , i persoanlly can not see why any one thinks it is better here than anywhere else, oh and by the way in case people forget it is still going up and the weather is still sxxt. so i dont think it is better here than anywhere else. this is however just my opinion.
john
I know you live in the UK but it baffles me why anybody in OZ complains about the price of fuel.Filled the big V8 beastie up yesterday at 61 cts a litre for LPG,55 ltrs,$34 as a round number.The same amount of petrol would cost $84 as a round number.Opinion is varied on whether you use 10% or 20% more LPG than you would petrol.Go for 15% and call it $40 to do the same amount of K's.

$40 for LPG

$84 for petrol

The govt will pay most of the conversion cost.

Seems a bit of a no brainer to me.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Seems a bit of a no brainer to me.
Only if you are prepared to drive a vehicle using gas, thats even worse than driving a vehicle using diesel...
Use a petrol driven vehicle...you know it makes sense
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

average fill up with petrol in the uk now £60 how much does this equate to in dollars, there is one of the many reasons people are queing up to leave, and i know some things are expensive there but i would like to see a total cost comparison between the two, i bet aus is cheaper. hear in the uk we just love getting screwed by the govt.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:14 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnknight001
average fill up with petrol in the uk now £60 how much does this equate to in dollars, there is one of the many reasons people are queing up to leave, and i know some things are expensive there but i would like to see a total cost comparison between the two, i bet aus is cheaper. hear in the uk we just love getting screwed by the govt.
i think you will be in for a shock if you think the grass will be greener. australia is simply not as cheap as it once was. i will take that bet as i have lived in both countries.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

LayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by youngy73
i think you will be in for a shock if you think the grass will be greener. australia is simply not as cheap as it once was. i will take that bet as i have lived in both countries.
But when was the exchange rate so poor??
Old May 22nd 2008, 5:36 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onceinalifetime
As far as housing goes, it depends what you're looking for. I won't buy at this point in time, a $350000 mortgage will cost just under $4000 a month, according to a mortgage adviser we saw recently, and the interest rates are predicted to raise further.
Strike that mortgage advisor off your list.
They have their figures completely wrong there (unless they have quoted you a loan repayment period over just 12 years !)

350k loan over a 25 year period @ current available interest rate on a normal full featured mortgage product is approx 2,800 p.m.

It would only be 4k per month if you were paying it in half that time !
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: North east australia back to the north east uk

Given the relatively cheaper costs of living in the UK, I think the petrol thing balances out pretty well, so I don't see Australia having a huge advantage there. It's swings vs roundabouts.

When you consider the high costs of food & housing and the immensely strong Aussie dollar, Australia is definitely not the cheap option for Poms anymore. This is certainly the worst time to be emigrating Down Under.

The question is: do you go now while it's bad, assuming that later it will be even worse? Or do you gamble that it will get better later on, and delay your move until then? Or do you just call the whole thing off? It's a tough call.

If I wasn't an Aussie going home, I probably wouldn't be emigrating to Australia at all.

Old May 22nd 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

I got a figure of nearer $2700 per month for a loan of $350 000.00, at an interest rate of 8.6%.

Are you sure that the $4000 figure is correct?
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Given the relatively cheaper costs of living in the UK, I think the petrol thing balances out pretty well, so I don't see Australia having a huge advantage there. It's swings vs roundabouts.

When you consider the high costs of food & housing and the immensely strong Aussie dollar, Australia is definitely not the cheap option for Poms anymore. This is certainly the worst time to be emigrating Down Under.

The question is: do you go now while it's bad, assuming that later it will be even worse? Or do you gamble that it will get better later on, and delay your move until then? Or do you just call the whole thing off? It's a tough call.

If I wasn't an Aussie going home, I probably wouldn't be emigrating to Australia at all.

Its not the cost of living, its the way the bloody country is run,pants all round! me personnally.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by @boy
Strike that mortgage advisor off your list.
They have their figures completely wrong there (unless they have quoted you a loan repayment period over just 12 years !)

350k loan over a 25 year period @ current available interest rate on a normal full featured mortgage product is approx 2,800 p.m.

It would only be 4k per month if you were paying it in half that time !
thank gawd for that. I have been nervously waiting for somebody to correct those figures...
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

I am astonished that people have mortgages for between £148,000 and 170,000 (depending on exchange rates) and consider living in Australia as cheaper

As for being shafted by UK government it happens here too.
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

maybe better to be shafted in the sun, on a serious note, i think people will do and go where they think is best for themselves, however i do take on board all the comments people make about australia and as always they are usefull.
john

Originally Posted by tillysmum
I am astonished that people have mortgages for between £148,000 and 170,000 (depending on exchange rates) and consider living in Australia as cheaper

As for being shafted by UK government it happens here too.
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LayaboutSi
Firstly, Youngy73 - that's my name and birth year; you got to it first.

Secondly, I am in the North East of the UK and am keeping an eye on as many of the major financial differences between the UK and Oz before we (hopefully) migrate next Summer.

I have no worries about groceries costing a bit more, especially when fresh fruit will happily take the place of Greggs stodge. I see the move as an opportunity to eat better as the local produce should make it an easy choice.

Grocery prices over here are relentlessly moving up. All the essentials have gone up significantly over the last twelve months and continue to rise. Tescos, and others, continue to keep them down by removing any profit the supplier earns but this will eventually buckle under the strain.

The big concern now if the property prices in Oz; they appear to have gone barmy. Hopefully, we will still be able to get a nice little pad to make our home, and still be able to afford some sort of social life.

Is it becoming a struggle financially for Aussies?

Yep, if you keep away from bakers delight (greggs - but 10 x more expensive) and buy your fruit from a fruit market and meat in bulk from the butcher, we find it much cheaper to shop in oz than the UK

Defo bring your cookbooks though cos it's back to basics time else it's maccies, eagleboys or hungry jacks for you!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.