Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

north coast nsw area

north coast nsw area

Old May 11th 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

lizzydripping will become famous soon enoughlizzydripping will become famous soon enough
Default north coast nsw area

hi there, we are just starting to look at the north coast area, if anyone can help us with areas to look at now and when we go out to validate visas [hopefully!!] later in the year that would be great. we are trying to find 'nice' suburbs/areas that are in our price range [up to $400.000 max] with a few shops, secondary school etc around but not too big, [like a big market town in uk] and hopefully not too far from lake/coast. If anyone can help that would be great - does this exist for us?
Old May 11th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: north coast nsw area

I would say you would struggle for work and to afford a house in an ok area for that money. Beautiful area, really like some of Coffs Harbour and areas around there myself,(may not be North enough) but house prices barely lower than here. Limited choices in everything comsumer wise and more pricey too.eg; Weekly shop cost us extra £20.Good luck though.
Old May 11th 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

lizzydripping will become famous soon enoughlizzydripping will become famous soon enough

Hi there, thanks for your quick reply. we should be ok for work as my o/h is a plumber and I am a pre-school manager [director in oz] but we want to keep our mortgage to a minimum, no point having the same size mortgage over there. I've seen some nice houses in Carey Bay for around $330 -$350 but have no idea what that area is like!
Old May 11th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

just be aware that there really are not many jobs around. Even those over on a 136 often struggle! Bit like getting work in Cornwall or similar!
Old May 11th 2007, 10:25 pm
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

andy170773 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
we live at lake macquarie, in eleebana renting at the moment, just bought a house in fishing point and hopefully move in mid june, cost us $330,000 4bed 2 bath,study and pool, about 5 minute drive from carey bay, beautiful area, so it is deifinately possible to get something in your price range, the west side of the lake is slightly cheaper but is apparently the place to buy at the moment, alot of sydneysiders moving up this way. if you have any questions about the area pm me, hubby found a job pretty easy too, he's an electrician by trade.
jenny
Old May 12th 2007, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seasprite
I would say you would struggle for work and to afford a house in an ok area for that money. Beautiful area, really like some of Coffs Harbour and areas around there myself,(may not be North enough) but house prices barely lower than here. Limited choices in everything comsumer wise and more pricey too.eg; Weekly shop cost us extra £20.Good luck though.
Hi ya
Have to agree, we lived in Coffs Harbour, fantastic place, friendly, beautiful beaches, but work is very hard to come by. We lived there for 2 and a half years, & i have to say money wise we struggled 99% of the time. It was a hard decision to make to leave there (as we loved it so much) but in the end we had to. Alot of our friends used to commute to Sydney, Brisbane etc, but unfortunately this was not an option for us.
I wish you all the luck.
Paula 1
Old May 12th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

thanks for help, I'm looking both at jobs and houses to try and get an idea of demand in areas for me. would be awful not to get any work, esp. as son will be in his last two years of school and wouldn't be good to move him around [+ daughter to start uni] hoping to live in a reasonable area, will have to keep looking. thanks again, will take you up on your offer if thats ok to ask you about suburbs/areas to live in as we get closer to our trip out [later this year]
Old May 12th 2007, 8:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy170773
hi
we live at lake macquarie, in eleebana renting at the moment, just bought a house in fishing point and hopefully move in mid june, cost us $330,000 4bed 2 bath,study and pool, about 5 minute drive from carey bay, beautiful area, so it is deifinately possible to get something in your price range, the west side of the lake is slightly cheaper but is apparently the place to buy at the moment, alot of sydneysiders moving up this way. if you have any questions about the area pm me, hubby found a job pretty easy too, he's an electrician by trade.
jenny

Lake Macquarie is a long way from Northern NSW though.

G
Old May 12th 2007, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

nicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to all

hi there,
me, my husband and baby (2.5 yrs old) live in coffs harbour. we emigrated about 7 months ago and absolutely love it. we find petrol, food shopping (especially meat) and other things to be cheaper to the pound but if you live here then wages are less so it probably works out about the same. they have an aldi food shop which is cheap to shop in. plenty of schools around.
we were lucky to both get jobs, i am a mental health nurse and hubby is a window fitter.
we have not looked anywhere else so cant comment on other places.
good luck with wherever you end up, maybe you could do a reckie first and see where you like.

nicky
Old May 13th 2007, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nicky m
hi there,
me, my husband and baby (2.5 yrs old) live in coffs harbour. we emigrated about 7 months ago and absolutely love it. we find petrol, food shopping (especially meat) and other things to be cheaper to the pound but if you live here then wages are less so it probably works out about the same. they have an aldi food shop which is cheap to shop in. plenty of schools around.
we were lucky to both get jobs, i am a mental health nurse and hubby is a window fitter.
we have not looked anywhere else so cant comment on other places.
good luck with wherever you end up, maybe you could do a reckie first and see where you like.

nicky
Hi Ya
I've just read your post to my hubby, & he said that he spoke to a bloke in Coffs town, who had just moved over & he was a fitter. He was pushing a kiddy in a buggy.........now strange would that be if it was your hubby !!!!!!
Paula 1
Old May 13th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

nicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to all

very possible. hubby has spoken to a few english people since being here.
he did push baby around a lot in the buggy then. when was it ?. does your hubby have anything to do with football coaching ?.
have you moved back to england or to another part of oz ?.

nicky
Old May 13th 2007, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nicky m
very possible. hubby has spoken to a few english people since being here.
he did push baby around a lot in the buggy then. when was it ?. does your hubby have anything to do with football coaching ?.
have you moved back to england or to another part of oz ?.

nicky
Hi ya
That's him!!!! It was about 7 months ago (there or there about's)
We unfortuantely had to move from Coffs, we now live on the Gold Coast.

So how's it going for you in Coffs, what you think, do you think you will stay??we loved it in Coffs, had some great mates (all of them aussie's or kiwi's) but the work was just not there, & hubby was sometimes working all the hours god sent, then he worked just a few hours a week. I tried to get work, but hit a brick wall everytime.
Say hello to the old place for mexx
Old May 17th 2007, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

how wierd is that, i suppose it really shows how small coffs is even though its expanding by the minute.
i remember nez saying he meta really nice bloke from england, its a shame you still are not here we could have met up. i was also planning on meeting seasprite but she also left before we got the chance to meet.
we are lucky to both have jobs but still worry about the security of hubbys job since they can fire you for no reason here. my jobs pretty secure as a nurse though.
do you ever plan on coming back to australia ?.
we love it here but want to meet more friends, the kind who you invite 4 barbies and meet for coffee or a few beers - not just the going out clubbing kind.
do you like it in england ?.

nicky
Old May 17th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

just re-read your message and it says you are in the gold coast soignore the stuff bout england.
whats it like on the gold coast. we aint been anywhere apart from coffs so have no idea what aus is like in other parts. is it all as green as here ?. we imagined oz to be desert and houses miles apart but coffs proved that wrong.

Nicky