Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Non-hospitality job opportunities for holiday makers

Non-hospitality job opportunities for holiday makers

Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-hospitality job opportunities for holiday makers

Originally Posted by sandia911

I am coming to Australia on a 1 year working holiday

I am generally familiar with the Australian climate.

finding job opportunities outside the typical industry.

I don't want to work in hotel housekeeping, or restaurant kitchen help.

I don't have any professional training

I am looking for a position that not many other holiday makers are seeking.

I am very good with Internet, and computer software

I am interested in mines (mostly due to the long hours/earnings, and I am OK to be alone/isolated,

I am also OK to work weekends, nights, Sundays/holidays, and I like to receive

But i don't have experience in any heavy industry,

My past work experience revolves around customer service, Journalism

what I'm seeking, 1, or 2 months in any given position.

i want to move to more desirable areas of Australia.

My ideal climatic requirements are sunny, or mix sunny/cloudy.

I can do anything in little time given practice.

So what do you think,
Reading between the lines
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Reading between the lines
I think all positions for troll in the BE Barbie are currently filled, though I'm sure they are still taking applications for casual work over Christmas.... Some of the regulars, I hear, have booked annual leave.....
Old Dec 8th 2012, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I think all positions for troll in the BE Barbie are currently filled, though I'm sure they are still taking applications for casual work over Christmas.... Some of the regulars, I hear, have booked annual leave.....
I was going to suggest that their is an ideal profession (in fact one of the oldest) might suit.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 4:49 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Is this still running?

I think the only job that the OP will get is collecting shopping trolleys
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Is this still running?

I think the only job that the OP will get is collecting shopping trolleys
Don't bank on it.

Backpackers seem to have changed greatly since my friends were doing it. They came over with a smile, a willingness to do anything so long as they earned enough to eat/drink/be merry and get a bed for a night (optional) They travelled the country, made shedloads of friends and had a damn fine time. Now they seem to want specific work from the off, generally stick in one place and expect a PR visa at the end of the year.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:18 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

If we are discussing job specifics, then if the OP doesnt mind, I will list my own requirements:

1. I would like to start at 12noon and finish at 3pm but get paid for a full 8 hour day. I reserve the right to not come in if it is not my own ambient temperature of 28 degrees, I will not compromise on this.

2. All meals will be provided - food of my choice and delivered to my office.

3. My job will not involve any menial tasks and I get to wear a suit to prove that I dont do menial tasks.

4. I get a good Christmas bonus even when it isnt Christmas

5. I get to live with a family who are grateful to have me and provide me with board and lodgings until I move on to a better family or until the food runs out.

6. My clothes are provided - suits of course

7. The maximum I will stay in my job is one week and will move on to a better job with better hours and pay.

8. I will backpack but someone must carry my backpack and I will never fruit pick, I will buy it from Coles and then someone else can pick it - another backpacker perhaps.

9. I already have PR but I will expect at the end of my year to get it paid for anyway.

So tell me, what are your job requirements?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:19 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't bank on it.

Backpackers seem to have changed greatly since my friends were doing it. They came over with a smile, a willingness to do anything so long as they earned enough to eat/drink/be merry and get a bed for a night (optional) They travelled the country, made shedloads of friends and had a damn fine time. Now they seem to want specific work from the off, generally stick in one place and expect a PR visa at the end of the year.
Cuh! Youth today. Cuh! (In the style of Manuel)
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Cuh! Youth today. Cuh! (In the style of Manuel)
My head was in more of a Victor Meldrew frame to be honest.