Reload this Page >

No dole unless sacked - right?

No dole unless sacked - right?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:47 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No dole unless sacked - right?

Can someone please confirm?!?

A guy at my work a few years back wouldn't just leave as he'll not get dole apparantly. He HAD to be sacked he kept telling me, but need to know if this is true.

Also, can you actually get dole as a PR, not a citizen. I'm thinking it's 2 years as a PR which we qualify, but just not citizens (pffft) yet.

Cheers
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:52 am
kjc
Just Joined

kjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No dole unless sacked - right?

I have just sent you a pm if you are looking for work?
Cheers
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:55 am
ABCDiamond

As a PR you can definitely get benefits, after the 2 year waiting period.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Paul, the qualifying time is 104 weeks on PR.

I believe dole is effectively what is called Newstart Allowance here which is income support while you are out of work but actively seeking employment.

The guy was correct.
There is an 8 week non payment period if you resign or are dismissed on grounds of misconduct.

The payment is subject to other possible waiting periods.

Like taking into account any pay-off you received = Maintenance Waiting Period.

Assets are means tested = Liquid Assets Waiting Period.

These periods can vary in number of weeks but run concurrently.

Payment is conditional on the individual complying with laid down job seeker criteria.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:02 am
Account Closed

So tomorrow when I ask to get sacked, as long as they play ball I can get some money pretty much straight off?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Can someone please confirm?!?

A guy at my work a few years back wouldn't just leave as he'll not get dole apparantly. He HAD to be sacked he kept telling me, but need to know if this is true.

Cheers
If you are not sacked there is a waiting period before you can get any benefits.

The length of this waiting period may be flexible depending on your reason for leaving.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you are not sacked there is a waiting period before you can get any benefits.

The length of this waiting period may be flexible depending on your reason for leaving.
Oh I won't leave ... there's sweet FA work out there, hence gonna ask to be sacked.

I'll take from this government no worries, have give them enough since arriving.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:11 am
ABCDiamond

Oh I won't leave ... there's sweet FA work out there, hence gonna ask to be sacked.

I'll take from this government no worries, have give them enough since arriving.
Are you prepared for the queues at Centrelink

They may be happy to hand it out, but :shudder: at claiming it.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Are you prepared for the queues at Centrelink

They may be happy to hand it out, but :shudder: at claiming it.
No other choice, so yeah.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:15 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

there's sweet FA work out there
Surely that doesn't fit with the 'full employment' scenario?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

So tomorrow when I ask to get sacked, as long as they play ball I can get some money pretty much straight off?
When you leave an employer they should give you a Separation Certificate which is a Centrelink document you will need to give to Centrelink.

It could depend on what they put on that cert.

Even if there is no pay-off as such you will still have the Liquid Assets test which judges you jointly. Nic will be sent a Mod P questionnaire to varify information you give in a phone interview.

Theoretically the minimum waiting time is 1 week.
ie 1 week with nothing.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Surely that doesn't fit with the 'full employment' scenario?
The Queensland unemployment rate is 5.2%, which is still quite high when compared to the 2007-08 average of 3.7%

It has only come down a little from the peak of 6.3% last September.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
ie 1 week with nothing.
A week I can handle, but just been lookin on the web and it's looking like I'll get pretty much FA anyway so lookin like a waste of time.

'a waste of time' ... 'a waste of space'?

****, the story of my life of what!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:50 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: No dole unless sacked - right?

I lost my job as a result of redundancy, but was able to claim Newstart immediately.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:59 am
ABCDiamond

I got of the plane from the UK in 1986, and I was sent straight to the Centrelink of the day. Things have a changed a bit since then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.