Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nice commuter town for Sydney?

Nice commuter town for Sydney?

Old Dec 21st 2015, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice commuter town for Sydney?

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
I was in Sydney last week and took the ferry to Manly and thought to myself that it would be a great spot to live and get the ferry to work in the CBD (if that's where you're working). Although I can imagine that the first few ferries in the morning and the ones in rush hour coming back must be rammed?
Manly works if you work near Circular Quay but anywhere else is a bit of a nightmare. There is also the fast ferry that most commuters get. Not heard of any over crowding on it but I do hear it has a bar
Old Dec 25th 2015, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The concept of "nice commuter town" bears little resemblance to the same question asked of London for example. Sydney is basically one enormous urban sprawl with questionable transport provision throughout. If I had to pick a suburb I rather fancy Mosman but my bank balance wouldn't go close to sniffing at a bed sit there. Everyone has their preferred suburban area which depends as much on bank balance and ethnicity as anything else. Draw a circle around your workplace with average commuting time and drop a pin within it.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
The concept of "nice commuter town" bears little resemblance to the same question asked of London for example. Sydney is basically one enormous urban sprawl with questionable transport provision throughout. If I had to pick a suburb I rather fancy Mosman but my bank balance wouldn't go close to sniffing at a bed sit there. Everyone has their preferred suburban area which depends as much on bank balance and ethnicity as anything else. Draw a circle around your workplace with average commuting time and drop a pin within it.
Exactly what I was going to say: it's suburban sprawl with some outlying destinations which are probably too far, really, unless you really want to live in the Blue Mountains.

The edge of the London sprawl is far closer than equivalent in Sydney, that said you could argue that locations outside M25 are still sort of London sprawl. Semantics. UK has lots of nice villages and towns in the shires the same time to Central London with longish commutes equivalent in time to some of the Sydney commutes from the sprawl.

One equivalent really is perhaps the Central Coast of NSW, but like a UK town you'd only do it by train.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Exactly what I was going to say: it's suburban sprawl with some outlying destinations which are probably too far, really, unless you really want to live in the Blue Mountains.

The edge of the London sprawl is far closer than equivalent in Sydney, that said you could argue that locations outside M25 are still sort of London sprawl. Semantics. UK has lots of nice villages and towns in the shires the same time to Central London with longish commutes equivalent in time to some of the Sydney commutes from the sprawl.

One equivalent really is perhaps the Central Coast of NSW, but like a UK town you'd only do it by train.
I think this was the messaging from earlier in the thread. Areas outside the sprawl, which have that out of town feel need decent transport.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I think this was the messaging from earlier in the thread. Areas outside the sprawl, which have that out of town feel need decent transport.
Yup, the point quoll made and I agree is that there isn't really any commuter towns at all in the sense there are in the UK, from outside the sprawl coming in, even putting transport aside.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yup, the point quoll made and I agree is that there isn't really any commuter towns at all in the sense there are in the UK, from outside the sprawl coming in, even putting transport aside.
People do commute from the B. Mountains, Wollongong and the Central Coast. It could be a much better commute and there could me more commuter towns in other locations. Perhaps its time to start a BE petition to give to Mr Baird.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:02 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the govt could find a private HS rail builder and operator that can offer reasonable fares, I extremely doubt the govt will ever be able to build one.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Unless the govt could find a private HS rail builder and operator that can offer reasonable fares, I extremely doubt the govt will ever be able to build one.
They don't need to be full High Speed. They just need to be able to travel up to 150km/h.