Reload this Page >

Nice areas in Adelaide

Nice areas in Adelaide

Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nice areas in Adelaide

Hi all

What are the best areas to live around adelaide, we need to be no more than 1/2 hours drive from the city.

Also what are the best schools?

We have been advised to stay away from the Salisbury area!

We like the look of Glenelg and Hallet Cove, any comments gratefully received.

Thanks everyone

Karen
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nice areas in Adelaide

Hi Karen

Have you tried doing a search as I do recall information being passed on here about Adelaide.

Good luck

Noodle
Old Dec 15th 2003, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by karen and andy
Hi all

What are the best areas to live around adelaide, we need to be no more than 1/2 hours drive from the city.

Also what are the best schools?

We have been advised to stay away from the Salisbury area!

We like the look of Glenelg and Hallet Cove, any comments gratefully received.

Thanks everyone

Karen

Oooohh this is scary territory to venture into........ I have practically been crucified a number of times for daring to express my opinion on this very topic. However I'm a slow learner so here goes.......

I PERSONALLY (please note) think that the Eastern Suburbs of Adelaide are the best place to live. They tend to be more leafy with nicer houses and larger, prettier gardens, better schools, less graffiti, no gangs, more parks etc. Plus they're super convenient for the city and the hills and are really not that far from the beach either. However they are also less affordable.
Some of the suburb names for the purposes of property searches are Parkside, Glenside, Glenunga, Toorak Gardens, St Georges, Urrbrae, Unley, Fullarton, Rose Park, Dulwich, Norwood etc.

North Adelaide the actual suburb (as opposed to the north of Adelaide where Salisbury etc. are located) and some of the surrounding areas such as St Peters are also lovely.

Glenelg is also great, but Glenelg North is less so. Somerton Park, Brighton, Seacliff etc. are also nice.

Old Dec 15th 2003, 8:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sunlover
Oooohh this is scary territory to venture into........ I have practically been crucified a number of times for daring to express my opinion on this very topic. However I'm a slow learner so here goes.......

I PERSONALLY (please note) think that the Eastern Suburbs of Adelaide are the best place to live. They tend to be more leafy with nicer houses and larger, prettier gardens, better schools, less graffiti, no gangs, more parks etc. Plus they're super convenient for the city and the hills and are really not that far from the beach either. However they are also less affordable.
Some of the suburb names for the purposes of property searches are Parkside, Glenside, Glenunga, Toorak Gardens, St Georges, Urrbrae, Unley, Fullarton, Rose Park, Dulwich, Norwood etc.

North Adelaide the actual suburb (as opposed to the north of Adelaide where Salisbury etc. are located) and some of the surrounding areas such as St Peters are also lovely.

Glenelg is also great, but Glenelg North is less so. Somerton Park, Brighton, Seacliff etc. are also nice.

Sunlover please do not hold back.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by bondipom
Sunlover please do not hold back.

Thanks - I won't .

Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.

I can now have a nose round the estate agents sites, and get some rough prices. See how many more pennies we have to save!!!!!

Thanks again

Karen and Andy
Old Dec 15th 2003, 7:33 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by karen and andy
Thanks for your replies.

I can now have a nose round the estate agents sites, and get some rough prices. See how many more pennies we have to save!!!!!

Thanks again

Karen and Andy

It was very cheap to rent in Adelaide a couple of years back. Glenelg is great, good tramlink to the city, nice beach and pleasant just to stroll around. Salisbury always has a bad reputation with the locals, best avoided. I liked Henley beach as well and girlfriend has relatives in Brighton and Seacliff and they were alright.

Our place was in Mile End, walking distance to the city centre and short bus ride to Henley beach. Had a spacious two bedroom apartment for $115 a week in the days when there were nearly $3 to the pound.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

North Adelaide the actual suburb (as opposed to the north of Adelaide where Salisbury etc. are located) and some of the surrounding areas such as St Peters are also lovely

Just have to say that every single one of these suburbs Sunlover mentioned is among the most highly priced for real estate!

Personally I think anything south and slightly east of O'Halloran Hill is the way to go. And anything south is more or less only half an hour from the city - depending on which way the one way motorway is pointing at the time
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

This has been talked about many times. It all depends on what you have got to spend, whether you like old or new, large block or small block, and whether you want to be close to the beach.

We live north of the city on the hillside with a third of an acre. Again I would personally avoid anything north that is on the flat to the left of main north road, but the northern hills have some nice suburbs in them and are only 30 minutes to the city and very close to the countryside and barossa regions and sill only 30 mins to lovely beaches too. Schools in Golden Grove have good reputation as does Trinity College in Gawler.

The headmaster from our school has just moved to Walkerville (pricy north adelaide suburb) but if he's there it will soon become a good school if it isn't already. How old are your kids?

As I say it depends what you are after...

Mash
Originally posted by wizzywozza
Just have to say that every single one of these suburbs Sunlover mentioned is among the most highly priced for real estate!

Personally I think anything south and slightly east of O'Halloran Hill is the way to go. And anything south is more or less only half an hour from the city - depending on which way the one way motorway is pointing at the time
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

We were really interested in buying a house up in the hills when the time comes..BUT.. we had dinner with some kiwis who have lived here for 20yrs on Saturday night. They say that yes its a lovely place, but the fire risks are so high that house insurance is astronomical!!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

and apparently the insects and millipedes are a nightmare.....

Need to do your homework before you buy.

Mash

Originally posted by podgypossum
We were really interested in buying a house up in the hills when the time comes..BUT.. we had dinner with some kiwis who have lived here for 20yrs on Saturday night. They say that yes its a lovely place, but the fire risks are so high that house insurance is astronomical!!