Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Re: NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

Originally Posted by JAJ
And how exactly can they legally levy tax on non-UK assets probated in a foreign country?

Barring an agreement with that foreign country to collect such tax.
Don't know without contacting my old UK accountant who told me.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachie241
If you are returning as a resident however then I think you should once again be entitled to NHS treatment.
You are. Immediately. Unlike in most Canadian provinces, for example, where there is a 3 month waiting period.

And in Australia, Australians returning from overseas, and New Zealanders moving to Australia, must provided evidence to Medicare that they have really *moved* back to Australia and are not just visiting, in order to get new Medicare cards.

British citizens outside the UK do not generally pay UK income taxes or VAT, so why should they be eligible to use the taxpayer funded NHS?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pogsy
Don't know without contacting my old UK accountant who told me.
If someone has left the UK permanently, all assets are overseas, and the will is probated overseas, then by any sensible definition of the term the person was no longer UK domiciled and Inheritance Tax wouldn't be chargeable in any case.

Things are completely different if assets (eg a house) are left in the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
If someone has left the UK permanently, all assets are overseas, and the will is probated overseas, then by any sensible definition of the term the person was no longer UK domiciled and Inheritance Tax wouldn't be chargeable in any case.

Things are completely different if assets (eg a house) are left in the UK.
If that is the case and say a house was left in the UK, does this mean that the owners would be entitled to use the NHS services. Does it also mean that if someone were to die whilst in ownership of a property/assetts in the UK would the beneficeries of the will be liable to UK inheritance tax if they were living outside the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by pogsy
If that is the case and say a house was left in the UK, does this mean that the owners would be entitled to use the NHS services.
No.

Does it also mean that if someone were to die whilst in ownership of a property/assetts in the UK would the beneficeries of the will be liable to UK inheritance tax if they were living outside the UK.
Inheritance tax is charged on the estate, primarily. It's not a capital receipt tax.

What I can't understand is why anyone in Australia should care about using the NHS. With Medicare available, why on earth would you want to fly to the other side of the world for medical treatment?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
No.

Inheritance tax is charged on the estate, primarily. It's not a capital receipt tax.

What I can't understand is why anyone in Australia should care about using the NHS. With Medicare available, why on earth would you want to fly to the other side of the world for medical treatment?
Not everyone receives Medicare. Also dental work is far cheaper in the UK than Oz. People could incorporate some dental work whilst returning for a short holiday.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
Not everyone receives Medicare. Also dental work is far cheaper in the UK than Oz. People could incorporate some dental work whilst returning for a short holiday.

Yes but dentists are rarer than rocking horse poo!

I would like to know too - How often do the NHS actually chase for payment of services rendered to those that have been in the country two minutes and then end up in the NHS system - There are lots!

Lindsey
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

Not everyone receives Medicare.
British citizens are automatically entitled to Medicare via the UK/AU reciprocal agreement.

The RHCA between Australia and the UK enables travellers to access public health medical care systems in each country.

In the case of Australian visitors to the UK, the National Health Service provides a range of medical and hospital services.

British visitors to Australia have access to public hospital care, the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and Medicare rebates for visits to doctors.
DFAT.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
British citizens are automatically entitled to Medicare via the UK/AU reciprocal agreement.
Only to a limited extent. And not all British citizens are covered in the first place, eg if formerly resident outside the UK.

Those who are permanent residents automatically get cover anyway.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

The RHCA between Australia and the UK enables travellers to access public health medical care systems in each country.

In the case of Australian visitors to the UK, the National Health Service provides a range of medical and hospital services.

British visitors to Australia have access to public hospital care, the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and Medicare rebates for visits to doctors.
DFAT.
Temp.visa holders are only entitled to emergency medicare if they are British citizens....i shoud know i am in Oz. But thanks for the info.
BB
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Yes but dentists are rarer than rocking horse poo!

I would like to know too - How often do the NHS actually chase for payment of services rendered to those that have been in the country two minutes and then end up in the NHS system - There are lots!

Lindsey
Try cotland we have no shortage of good NHS dentists. As for your other question why don't you research it?
BB
Old Feb 1st 2007, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
I thought the NHS was a free for all. We've certainly had our fair share of illegal immigrants havin surgery...no questions asked!
Yes, and I know people living in Libya who come and visit their family (Dad being a surgeon) and tie it in with their operations and hospital check up but they are not UK residents!!!!!!

Rule for 1 rule for another!!!!!

(Just like anything I suppose)
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:06 pm
preet in the bays

preetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nicepreetsangha is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyblonde
Try the following link, it should answer your questions

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...516&chk=uhB/w0

Re the programme that was on last night, i was amazed at the fact that people thought they could live in another counrty and still be entitled to free care in the UK when they have not lived there for years.

Hope the link is useful.
Can I update your link please :
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...Visitors/fs/en
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Temp.visa holders are only entitled to emergency medicare if they are British citizens....i shoud know i am in Oz. But thanks for the info.
BB
We are on a 457 visa with reciprocal medicare and we are entitled to immediately neccessary treatment - this does not neccessarily mean only emergency treatment (according tothe guidelines from medicare). In fact I had my teeth x rayed the other week and medicare refunded me the normal amount. It wasn't an emergency by any means - just that the dentist wanted to see the root detail on one of my teeth.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:40 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

hi, this thread has kind of moved off from my original question, asking if we are no longer residents of UK, and if we were to return PERMANENTLY(- not for a holiday) would we get free treatment if we needed it, or is there a 2 year or so period where we would have to wait?
Anyhow as we are off the subject can anyone explain how it works here in Oz with regards to medicare etc, i had to get to emergency dept on friday after pulling my ligaments in my arm, i saw a Dr (very quickly in and out!) and the Dr prescribed me some anti inflam tabs and told me to go and see him at his surgery in a week.
Does anyone know if I will have to pay for this treatment, i didn't ask at the time because- well the pain was so bad it wouldn't have been an issue anyway, but now i am wondering if i will get a bill, and will i need to pay the Dr when i go and see him this friday? its all quite confusing...i am told that getting medical insurance is a good idea, then i am told that you still pay for many treatments (such as dental, chiropractor, ladies things! etc....) after Friday at the hosp i am even more confused whether or not we need to get insurance cover?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.