Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:58 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

My Mum has just phoned me from sunny Manchester and said she watched a programme about expats returning from Spain after not being able to get health cover in spain, they apparently sold up their properties and had returned to the UK, to be told that they are not covered by the NHS anymore because they left the country over 2 yrs ago. Can anyone tell me if this is the case for ALL expats who may have to return. Apparently if your over retirement age then your ok, but these people wern't and so had to pay for an opperation in the UK. Then they found huge problems getting medical insurance cover in UK because they had illness that made the insurance premium to high.
Any input would be great, its a bit worrying to think that if we HAD to return for some unforseen reason, (not medically) that we could end up with a huge bill for medicine.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

nickyblonde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

Try the following link, it should answer your questions

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...516&chk=uhB/w0

Re the programme that was on last night, i was amazed at the fact that people thought they could live in another counrty and still be entitled to free care in the UK when they have not lived there for years.

Hope the link is useful.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

But then if you so come back to live - for good are you not then deemed as resident? Also australian residents get free health care over here due to the reciprocal agreement - just as you would as a Brit in Oz - or am I reading it wrong?

Lindsey
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:27 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
But then if you so come back to live - for good are you not then deemed as resident? Also australian residents get free health care over here due to the reciprocal agreement - just as you would as a Brit in Oz - or am I reading it wrong?

Lindsey
if you were returning to the UK on a permanent basis then you would again be eligable for NHS,..............................

Under the current Regulations, anyone who is taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK is entitled to free National Health Service (NHS) hospital treatment in England. If your intention is to live permanently in the UK you will be exempt from hospital charges from the date of your arrival in the country but you should expect to be asked to prove your intention and that you are legally entitled to live here. This exemption applies to your spouse and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are living here with you on a permanent basis
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

nickyblonde is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: NHS- do you lose the entitlement when you leave UK?

Not sure as i know the following is asked of people when trying to access NHS care :
'Have you resided in the UK for the last 12 months?'. There was also talk of asking patients who had to attend hospital for appointments etc to bring proof of residence e.g. utility bills not sure if this is something that is being practiced though.

Last edited by nickyblonde; Jan 30th 2007 at 1:37 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:45 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyblonde
Not sure as i know the following is asked of people when trying to access NHS care :
'Have you resided in the UK for the last 12 months?'. There was also talk of asking patients who had to attend hospital for appointments etc to bring proof of residence e.g. utility bills not sure if this is something that is being practiced though.

mmmmm bummer ...... if I ever return, I could have a problem - lets hope I don't get sick until i've had my first lecky bill!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:49 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit as a nurse in the UK it did get peoples backs up when expats just took so called 'NHS Holidays' to get operations done and medical treatment free of charge. I think this is why the policies have changed and quite rightly too.
If you are returning as a resident however then I think you should once again be entitled to NHS treatment.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rachie241
I must admit as a nurse in the UK it did get peoples backs up when expats just took so called 'NHS Holidays' to get operations done and medical treatment free of charge. I think this is why the policies have changed and quite rightly too.
If you are returning as a resident however then I think you should once again be entitled to NHS treatment.
yep, I can see why - fair do's- paying your taxes to another country then taking advantage of the heavily put upon NHS.......
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:29 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachie241
I probably didn't make myself clear, i meant if we had to return to the uk permantly. If we were on holiday and fell ill in the uk i would presume that holiday insurance would cover that eventuality?
If we do get NHS treatment should we return to the UK for good, then we (personally) don't have anything to worry about.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by nurselindsey

Lindsey
When you leave the UK for good to live in another country you could have been out of the UK for up to 5 years, then if you were to die it has been known that the Inland Revenue have succesfully chased the beneficeries of the deceased estate and claimed inheritance tax on the estate even though that person had been living in another country. It seems to me as if the British Government can do this then people will continue to go to the UK for treatment on the NHS exactly the same as some people who move overseas and still claim family allowance for their kids. All wrong really aint it.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by pogsy
When you leave the UK for good to live in another country you could have been out of the UK for up to 5 years, then if you were to die it has been known that the Inland Revenue have succesfully chased the beneficeries of the deceased estate and claimed inheritance tax on the estate even though that person had been living in another country. It seems to me as if the British Government can do this then people will continue to go to the UK for treatment on the NHS exactly the same as some people who move overseas and still claim family allowance for their kids. All wrong really aint it.
How aould you claim family allowance for your kids if you no longer have a current British address??? just curious
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by dollface
How aould you claim family allowance for your kids if you no longer have a current British address??? just curious
Apparently people tend to use parents address and keep a british bank account open.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:49 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the NHS was a free for all. We've certainly had our fair share of illegal immigrants havin surgery...no questions asked!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:04 am
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
I thought the NHS was a free for all. We've certainly had our fair share of illegal immigrants havin surgery...no questions asked!
My thoughts exactly!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pogsy
When you leave the UK for good to live in another country you could have been out of the UK for up to 5 years, then if you were to die it has been known that the Inland Revenue have succesfully chased the beneficeries of the deceased estate and claimed inheritance tax on the estate even though that person had been living in another country.
And how exactly can they legally levy tax on non-UK assets probated in a foreign country?

Barring an agreement with that foreign country to collect such tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.