Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cashing in pensions early - anyone kow how?

Cashing in pensions early - anyone kow how?

Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:51 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cashing in pensions early - anyone kow how?

Hi There............we have two pensions, one with Scottish life (which C currently pays into along with employer contributions), the other with, Norwich Union, which I stopped paying into some time ago but have contracted out NI contributions payed into.

Does anybody know of a way of cashing these in early? There is probably in the region of 20K GBP stashed away, which would come in very useful at this stage of our lives as opposed to 40-50 years time!

Any and all advice warmly welcomed!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:15 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cashing in pensions early - anyone kow how?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Hi There............we have two pensions, one with Scottish life (which C currently pays into along with employer contributions), the other with, Norwich Union, which I stopped paying into some time ago but have contracted out NI contributions payed into.

Does anybody know of a way of cashing these in early? There is probably in the region of 20K GBP stashed away, which would come in very useful at this stage of our lives as opposed to 40-50 years time!

Would ignore the temptation - which I cant see how you could access it anyway. It would cost you dearly in the longer term.

In Oz you do however get some additional short term benefits out of certain pension / Superfunds - check them out ie insurance policies etc.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

UK pension law states that you cannot cash your pensions in.... as far as I am aware!! So what you have in them cannot be accessed till you reach age 50 (increasing to 55 at some stage in the future) and 65 (also increasing) for your NI contributions. Best thing to do is to check with the providers direct! There is also this ongoing chestnut for all of us BE members.... to transfer to Oz..... or not..... or when!!!

Trev
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Anyone know what age you can access them in Oz.
I thought that since you can add alot to Oz pensions over the next few years and withdrawing is tax free then the only issue for transferring your UK is what age you can access them in Oz (And also if you plan on going back to UK)
Thanks !
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:47 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twhurl
Anyone know what age you can access them in Oz.
I thought that since you can add alot to Oz pensions over the next few years and withdrawing is tax free then the only issue for transferring your UK is what age you can access them in Oz (And also if you plan on going back to UK)
Thanks !
Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is something whereby if you leave Australia permanently you get your super contributions back?

However that would appear very drastic measure to take - you would loose your residency, passport etc.

"This payment is called the departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP)."

http://www.ato.gov.au/superprofessio...1/006&st=&cy=1

Last edited by thebears; Feb 10th 2007 at 7:51 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I enquired a while back about cashing in my pension. The company told me you cannot cash in a pension early, only transfer it to another pension. Hope this helps.

Tasha x
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:08 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Reids
Hi,

I enquired a while back about cashing in my pension. The company told me you cannot cash in a pension early, only transfer it to another pension. Hope this helps.

Tasha x
I cashed in a uk pension a few years ago but that particular pension only allowed you to cash in within two years of the start date. I just phoned up the company involved and they gave me the details and sent me the paperwork to cash the pension in.

Tiggs
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:15 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is something whereby if you leave Australia permanently you get your super contributions back?

However that would appear very drastic measure to take - you would loose your residency, passport etc.

"This payment is called the departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP)."

http://www.ato.gov.au/superprofessio...1/006&st=&cy=1
If you are a PR or citizen you cannot do this. You can only do this if you are here on a temporary visa.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:33 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you are a PR or citizen you cannot do this. You can only do this if you are here on a temporary visa.
hmmm suits me then
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

At what age can you start drawing your pension in Oz ?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:06 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by twhurl
At what age can you start drawing your pension in Oz ?
http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content....01/007&st=&cy=
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

My Mrs has a pension that we would like to acces however she is only 36!! I know you cant cash it in, but are there companies that buy the fund from you??

Anybody know??
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:18 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulb
My Mrs has a pension that we would like to acces however she is only 36!! I know you cant cash it in, but are there companies that buy the fund from you??

Anybody know??
i am going to tag on the end of this, as we have several pensions in the uk and we dont know what to do about them?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paulb

Anybody know??
Don't think this pension market exists. Its not like the with-profits endowments that can be sold on the open market place. Probably because pensions are a 'personal' policy with the tax advantages that come with them, probably not allowed by the government!!

Trev
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
I cashed in a uk pension a few years ago but that particular pension only allowed you to cash in within two years of the start date. I just phoned up the company involved and they gave me the details and sent me the paperwork to cash the pension in.

Tiggs
I do believe that this option was only for members of a company pension scheme (final salary only?) who had joined the company pension scheme and then left the employ of that company within a two year period. The employee would have the option to have a full refund of contributions. I am pretty sure this option was withdrawn in recent pension rule changes. Don't take my word for it though.... as ever, always ask your pension provider... they WILL know!!!

Trev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.