Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The next move......???

The next move......???

Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough
Default The next move......???

Hey folks.

Been a while since we've posted anything on here as we've been going through the whole visa application process and didn't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Fortunately though we've since been asked to proceed with our police and medical checks. These were done last month and have been sent to the immigration people.

The question I have is really when is it best for us to put the house up for sale?? We'd like to make the move asap but would this still be too soon. Any other advice for things to be done at this stage would be much appreciated. P.S. Its Perth we're heading to.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: The next move......???

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
Hey folks.

Been a while since we've posted anything on here as we've been going through the whole visa application process and didn't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Fortunately though we've since been asked to proceed with our police and medical checks. These were done last month and have been sent to the immigration people.

The question I have is really when is it best for us to put the house up for sale?? We'd like to make the move asap but would this still be too soon. Any other advice for things to be done at this stage would be much appreciated. P.S. Its Perth we're heading to.
It could take ages to sell, so i would put it up now. Then again it could sell next week
But you could always rent. No crystal ball i'm afraid.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go with putting it up sooner rather than later, ours took 2 1/2 years to accept a suitable offer and another 6 months to go through

I know this isn't the norm but it does happen.

You can worry about what to do next when it sells.

it will all work out to suit
Old Dec 30th 2009, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Put it on. You can be flexible with dates, move in with rellies or rent. You will regret sitting with a house to sell when you are all geared up for the move.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 4:00 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Check this link out for loads of tips:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...42&postcount=2

And definitely get your house on the market now.

Julie. x
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:05 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

So, what happens if you don't get the visa? (It has been known to happen) Your house is now sold and you're visaless. It clearly states on the DIAC site not to do irreversible things such as quit jobs or sell homes until a decision is made.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
So, what happens if you don't get the visa? (It has been known to happen) Your house is now sold and you're visaless. It clearly states on the DIAC site not to do irreversible things such as quit jobs or sell homes until a decision is made.
Yeah, we didn't even list our house until my husband had a job contract in hand. I wasn't moving otherwise.

Lucky for us there was a rebound in the local market (Alberta, last June) and our house sold on the first day of viewings with multiple offers. Then we were homeless and living with friends until we left...
Old Dec 31st 2009, 2:04 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Umm, you buy another house, not a disaster in the greater scheme of things.

Funny how some people are so risk-averse and others just go for it.

I've always been a believer in taking some risk, and I'm not a gambler by any means.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Umm, you buy another house, not a disaster in the greater scheme of things.

Funny how some people are so risk-averse and others just go for it.

I've always been a believer in taking some risk, and I'm not a gambler by any means.
I agree. Notably the only two people to post to wait have no idea how tricky selling a house in the uk is right now. We went through 18 months on the market, 3 failed sales and the market crashing round our ears.

It sounds like their visa is not far off and it takes at least 6 weeks from offer to exchange - a period in which either of the parties can pull out without penalty. I would hope they would have their visa before they reached exchange and therefore would not be taking any risk anyway.

BTW Do not tell the estate agent you are emigrating, if they tell the buyers you will get lower offers as they will think you are desperate.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I agree. Notably the only two people to post to wait have no idea how tricky selling a house in the uk is right now. We went through 18 months on the market, 3 failed sales and the market crashing round our ears.

It sounds like their visa is not far off and it takes at least 6 weeks from offer to exchange - a period in which either of the parties can pull out without penalty. I would hope they would have their visa before they reached exchange and therefore would not be taking any risk anyway.

BTW Do not tell the estate agent you are emigrating, if they tell the buyers you will get lower offers as they will think you are desperate.
Completely agree with you on that one - so many people can't move before they sell - thankfully we could but it was nearly two years before our house sold, at a loss of course but I'd have given it away by the end!

Good luck!
Old Dec 31st 2009, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey folks.

From memory when they ask for meds/police checks it's about another 6 weeks before you get the nod so if you want to get over asap, would put house on market. Good luck with visa and house sale
Old Dec 31st 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice guys.

I know the DIAC say not to make any permenant decisions until the visa is granted but having heard other peoples situations and the times its taken to sell their homes I reckon we'll just go for it.

I've already been in contact with a few firms out in Perth who seem quite keen regarding work and have said as soon as I have the visa to just get in touch and we'll work something out.

I just don't want to be sitting in 6 months time with the house still on the market!!! (I also like a wee gamble now and again so what the heck!! Theres always relatives we can stay with)

Anyone recommend a decent removal/transportation firm? We ain't gonna take eveything but we'll still need a container I think.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Big Galah
I bet you are!!!