Reload this Page >

Newly Qualified Nurse wanting to go Down Under

Newly Qualified Nurse wanting to go Down Under

Old Aug 15th 2015, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Racheyroos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly Qualified Nurse wanting to go Down Under

Hi All

This is my first post and I just want to gain a little insight/advice into my situation.

So I have recently graduated with a First Class Honors in Adult Nursing and have begun my first post as a Registered Nurse in an acute setting at a central London Hospital. I am hoping to work for a year to gain some experience, finish my preceptorship and head Down Under.

So firstly:

1) Is it best to go on a working holiday visa to just get out there and "give it a go" so to speak? I am 30 so would need to apply before I reach 31 to use it within a year if I am correct?

2) Would it be best to contact hospitals/jobs direct to gain employment first?

3) Could I go out on a skilled visa?

4) My husband does not fit any of the skilled criteria (He is an events manager) so would he just simply go out with me?

5) In terms of accommodation, do you just arrive and stay in hotels until you find accommodation or prepare before hand?

6) How long does APHRA take?

Sorry for the million questions but any help with just 1 question or all would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Racheyroos
Old Aug 16th 2015, 6:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly Qualified Nurse wanting to go Down Under

Originally Posted by Racheyroos
Hi All

This is my first post and I just want to gain a little insight/advice into my situation.

So I have recently graduated with a First Class Honors in Adult Nursing and have begun my first post as a Registered Nurse in an acute setting at a central London Hospital. I am hoping to work for a year to gain some experience, finish my preceptorship and head Down Under.

So firstly:

1) Is it best to go on a working holiday visa to just get out there and "give it a go" so to speak? I am 30 so would need to apply before I reach 31 to use it within a year if I am correct?
You could certainly come out on a WHV but with such a tight timeline you may have to forget the idea of nursing on it.

2) Would it be best to contact hospitals/jobs direct to gain employment first?
Give it a try, many nurses do get employment before emigrating, either a sponsorship or when coming independently. Getting your AHPRA registration sorted first would be useful.

3) Could I go out on a skilled visa?
Yes if you qualify for one that would be the way to go. Have a look on Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection for the 189 visa.

4) My husband does not fit any of the skilled criteria (He is an events manager) so would he just simply go out with me?
Yes, he would come as your spouse, on the 189. If you came on a WHV at first he would need his own visa though.

5) In terms of accommodation, do you just arrive and stay in hotels until you find accommodation or prepare before hand?
Most people stay in hotels or holiday lets at first. Landlords usually won't rent unless you are here, and to be honest you'd be best to view places and their locations first.

6) How long does APHRA take?
Can be months. Have a look at the threads on our nursing forum
Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations - British Expats

Sorry for the million questions but any help with just 1 question or all would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Racheyroos
Welcome to BE
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Newly Qualified Nurse wanting to go Down Under

There are a very small number of accommodation providers who offer short-term furnished accommodation to new immigrants.

Which city / state are you intending to emigrate to?

BB
Old Aug 19th 2015, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Cubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant future

The WHV does have a restriction that you can only work for the same employer for 6 months max which is worth being aware of.

That being said it is possible to move onto a 457 onshore.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:35 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cubiscus
That being said it is possible to move onto a 457 onshore.
While it *may* be possible, I have yet to see someone in the last 18 months (on this board anyway) actually achieve it. But I'm sure someone has.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
While it *may* be possible, I have yet to see someone in the last 18 months (on this board anyway) actually achieve it. But I'm sure someone has.
I did in 2013, just outside of your timeline It's certainly not easy but it was quite common for many colleagues in IT from the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:31 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

I did in 2013, just outside of your timeline It's certainly not easy but it was quite common for many colleagues in IT from the UK.
Fair enough, but the thing with nursing (from what I have read) it takes a long time to get approved to work in Australia if you've been trained overseas, unlike other professions where you can start work right away.

I have no idea what the nursing situation is like, but my impression is that there are too many nurses for available positions, so getting a 457 from a WHV (for a nurse) would be a special feat. Probably working as a nurse on a WHV would be a feat in itself.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Isn't the cap for nurses on 189s substantial? Based on that you'd think there was a significant shortage.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 12:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the cap for nurses on 189s substantial? Based on that you'd think there was a significant shortage.
There are shortages in some skills and in some places. Its still possible to get sponsorship - though not as easy as it used to be - and its still possible to get jobs relatively easily in some fields, either diretly or via agencies. A lot of nurses here also do solely agency work, but you'd need a 189 for that, 457 wouldn't work.

The biggest hold up is the AHPRA process, so anyone thining of migrating as a nurse needs to get that under way as soon as they can.