Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New toll charges, Brisbane

New toll charges, Brisbane

Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:36 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New toll charges, Brisbane

Originally Posted by fish.01
Are they trying to push more cars through the clem7 maybe?
They have put a 10km speed limit for cyclists coming down the cycleway on the gateway bridge. Its gonna cost more than 4$ each time in brake pads. This is for safety reasons since its a mixed lane (and they dont want to keep picking up all the dead cyclists from the right-hand-turn at the bottom)

i was looking forward to hitting 60 on my raleigh racer having suffered oxygen depravation from cycling up the hill , coming back down at 60kmh with air forced into your lungs at pressure would be quite a rush.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
They have put a 10km speed limit for cyclists coming down the cycleway on the gateway bridge. Its gonna cost more than 4$ each time in brake pads. This is for safety reasons since its a mixed lane (and they dont want to keep picking up all the dead cyclists from the right-hand-turn at the bottom)

i was looking forward to hitting 60 on my raleigh racer having suffered oxygen depravation from cycling up the hill , coming back down at 60kmh with air forced into your lungs at pressure would be quite a rush.
Mate today was saying it was just one of those yellow "recommended" speed signs so go for it
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:32 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

how do you think they are paying for the new gateway bridge.

On that topic, anyone know what the new bridge is for, every time I use the gateway the congestion is north/south of the bridge never on the bridge

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
http://www.qldmotorways.com.au/onthe...perations.aspx

TOLL COSTS PER TOLL POINT FROM 1 JULY 2010*
Class 1 Class 2 Class 3 Class 4
Gateway Bridge $1.93 $3.85 $5.78 $10.20
Kuraby $1.14 $2.27 $3.41 $6.02
Loganlea Road $0.73 $1.46 $2.19 $3.87
Heathwood and Paradise Road $1.20 $2.40 $3.60 $6.36

What percentage increase is this, from $2.95 to $3.85?!?!?!?! Is that even legal??? So I have to pay extra $1.80 each time I go shopping at DFO near the airport or strawberry picking in the Sunshine Coast with the kids? It's great using the viatag, isn't it? You don't even notice how much you're paying.

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:36 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think it gets 1/3 of the projected traffic, and thats with the lower toll.
Big waste of money, interesting to see if anyone will use the other new toll road, go between bridge and airport link.

Originally Posted by bcworld
I did read today though that the Clem 7tunnel toll is being slashed since no one uses it!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
how do you think they are paying for the new gateway bridge.
Are they going to reduce the charges once they've collected enough to pay for the bridge? I would happily go shopping at DFO and strawberry picking more often if that were the case, just to help pay off the cost sooner. Somehow I doubt it.

It's the same most places, I suppose. Often once the debt's been paid off, the excuse to retain the high charges is to prevent a surge in traffic volume. Great plan, isn't it?

One exception I can think of is the Erskine Bridge in Glasgow. The toll was removed in 2006 because they had paid off the construction cost and wanted to increase the traffic on the bridge which was previously severely under-used.

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:31 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think it gets 1/3 of the projected traffic, and thats with the lower toll.
Big waste of money, interesting to see if anyone will use the other new toll road, go between bridge and airport link.
C7 was always going to be a dud. It is essentially an "Inner City Bypass - Bypass" and since the route from Bowen Hills to Greenslopes via the ICB passes zero traffic lights northbound and 3 sets southbaound, the claims of 'cutting out 24 sets of traffic lights' were always compeltely ridiculous. There might be a saving of a couple of minutes in peak traffic (not having to crawl past north quay)- but outside of peak it'd be a complete waste of money.

The 'Go Between bridge' is a strange one. A quick look at a map shows that its a bridge that essentially goes nowhere. Unless you live or work in West End I cant see it being any use (are there really that many people there to justify that kind of infrastructure? I doubt it). Surely anyone going any further south than West End will be more likely to continue along the riverside expressway.. so how its going to make any significant difference to traffic flows is beyond me.

Airport Link however, is a tunnel where you can see it making a difference. I reckon this one WILL get used. Getting from Northern Brisbane to the Airport can be painful and even those who are able to use the ICB to get to Breakfast Creek still have the awful crawl along Kingsford Smith drive at peak times.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
C7 was always going to be a dud. It is essentially an "Inner City Bypass - Bypass" and since the route from Bowen Hills to Greenslopes via the ICB passes zero traffic lights northbound and 3 sets southbaound, the claims of 'cutting out 24 sets of traffic lights' were always compeltely ridiculous. There might be a saving of a couple of minutes in peak traffic (not having to crawl past north quay)- but outside of peak it'd be a complete waste of money.

The 'Go Between bridge' is a strange one. A quick look at a map shows that its a bridge that essentially goes nowhere. Unless you live or work in West End I cant see it being any use (are there really that many people there to justify that kind of infrastructure? I doubt it). Surely anyone going any further south than West End will be more likely to continue along the riverside expressway.. so how its going to make any significant difference to traffic flows is beyond me.

Airport Link however, is a tunnel where you can see it making a difference. I reckon this one WILL get used. Getting from Northern Brisbane to the Airport can be painful and even those who are able to use the ICB to get to Breakfast Creek still have the awful crawl along Kingsford Smith drive at peak times.
The Go Between is part of a long standing ring road plan to connect the south east freeway to the ICB through Merivale/Cordelia st to avoid the city....part of a ring road plan first devised in the 60's/70's. I think they will eventually upgrade Merivale/Cordelia sneakily until it is a major route linking the south east freeway at south brisbane/woolloongabba to the go between onto the icb. The same plan also had a freeway along riverside and petrie bight and slicing through new farm so I hope campbell isn't going to try and complete it all
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Are they going to reduce the charges once they've collected enough to pay for the bridge?
By that time they will need to keep the toll to pay for the next bridge alongside the existing ones

Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:18 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Be cheaper if they filled the effin river with concrete...
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:49 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I will probably use it in the evening or when there is an event at Suncorp. The traffic over W.Jolly is quite bad from 4.30 to about 7pm (or later if events). But now during school holidays its zooming!

The only advantage really it has is a direct left turn to Riverside Drive that neither William Jolly or Melbourne St bridges offer that cant be obtained easily without going via the moon.