Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New theory on Perth...

New theory on Perth...

Old May 14th 2008, 12:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New theory on Perth...

Originally Posted by worzel
What does the UK actually produce these days? Manufacturing has moved to Asia / East Europe, coal has albut run out. They still manage to have a thriving economy (give or take the odd peak and trough).

Sure I agree, but things the UK has, business, technology etc do not exist in WA - they're driven by Eastern states.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:13 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Sure I agree, but things the UK has, business, technology etc do not exist in WA - they're driven by Eastern states.
But we have water
Old May 14th 2008, 12:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
Your right, your being a disgraceful snob. You are saying that these uneducated fools don't deserve the money or the influence of say, a university educated underachiever, who spent all that time in secondary education just to become an underpaid teacher.
I thought the educated sheep from university where a liberal bunch who wouldn't dream of stereotyping a group of people purely on there employment history.

PS. rednecks in charge of a big economy will just spend more money on banjos and crosses to burn
One of the great things about Perth is that 'uneducated' guys are earning a mint. I have young guys working for me, ex-tradies who are now electrical designers earning $200k+ - much more than suburban lawyers, pharmacists etc. Nearly as much as some doctors. Big money, new wealth. Superb. Capitalism is a great equaliser.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:00 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One of the great things about Perth is that 'uneducated' guys are earning a mint. I have young guys working for me, ex-tradies who are now electrical designers earning $200k+ - much more than suburban lawyers, pharmacists etc. Nearly as much as some doctors. Big money, new wealth. Superb. Capitalism is a great equaliser.
I saw a ute the other weekend with rego CSHDUPBGN or some such. If you've got it, flaunt it!
Old May 14th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bridie
If you need a theory to somehow justify the reason you dont like a place then fair enough.

Personally I dont know what's wrong with accepting that you just dont it, end of.

It's like people: we all meet people, some of whom become really good friends, some of whom we just dont like - and quite often for no obvious reason. Yet we dont sit there worrying about it. Life is like that.

JMHO and when I say "You" I dont mean this aimed at the OP personally but just in general
Great comment bridie, well put
Old May 14th 2008, 1:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a ute the other weekend with rego CSHDUPBGN or some such. If you've got it, flaunt it!
I have 16 people in my team. Age range is 18 to 60. None of them are 'professionals' (I hate that term in the context that it is mainly used). Most of them have investment properties. They have more boats, Monaros and Harley Davidsons than you could shake a stick at. Overseas holidays are the norm. 2 are multi-millionaires.

Love it.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:11 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I have 16 people in my team. Age range is 18 to 60. None of them are 'professionals' (I hate that term in the context that it is mainly used). Most of them have investment properties. They have more boats, Monaros and Harley Davidsons than you could shake a stick at. Overseas holidays are the norm. 2 are multi-millionaires.

Love it.
We were talking about this at lunch today. The question was, what happens to these guys when the boom ends? Do they go back to regular pay, do they move to wherever else is having a boom or have they earnt enough to retire by then?
Old May 14th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
Your right, your being a disgraceful snob. You are saying that these uneducated fools don't deserve the money or the influence of say, a university educated underachiever, who spent all that time in secondary education just to become an underpaid teacher.
I thought the educated sheep from university where a liberal bunch who wouldn't dream of stereotyping a group of people purely on there employment history.

PS. rednecks in charge of a big economy will just spend more money on banjos and crosses to burn
"You're" not "your" x 2.
"their" not "there"
"were" not "where"

Fraud (but your PS and your statement about being a university-educated underachiever redeems you).

By the way what's UCE? Is that one of those pseudo-universities - University of Central England - a polytechnic where they take you if you fail your A-levels?
Old May 14th 2008, 1:21 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

By the way what's UCE? Is that one of those pseudo-universities - University of Central England - a polytechnic where they take you if you fail your A-levels?
I don't think it's called UCE these days but yes, it's a polyuniversitic.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

We were talking about this at lunch today. The question was, what happens to these guys when the boom ends? Do they go back to regular pay, do they move to wherever else is having a boom or have they earnt enough to retire by then?
I think all of those things - if it does end. I just need another 4-5 years and I'm done.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I don't think it's called UCE these days but yes, it's a polyuniversitic.
At least if her mechanical engineering skills are anything like her grammar and spelling then she should go down well in Perth.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:27 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

At least if her mechanical engineering skills are anything like her grammar and spelling then she should go down well in Perth.
Very punny!
Old May 14th 2008, 1:27 pm
A former regular of BE

If a woman can go down well she will be rich anywhere