Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New speeding camera's!

New speeding camera's!

Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New speeding camera's!

One reason I think the left lane is often empty here has to be the way much of the traffic merges. Most trucks seem to settle into the middle lane.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
One reason I think the left lane is often empty here has to be the way much of the traffic merges. Most trucks seem to settle into the middle lane.
I have had people tell me the left lane is actually the merging lane, while people think like that nothing will change.
Thats another huge difference I have noticed here is that trucks GENERALLY do the right thing and will not clog up the road like they often did going down to the Gold Coast especially. What should be said here is noone is saying that drivers in the UK are perfect, that would be foolish of course but overall the standard is just so much higher here.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:53 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hino
Apparently that section of highway is well known for having a high population of low I.Q. idiots who speed, tailgate and generally drive recklessly.

That could possibly explain the high accident count......well observed
I cover Logan to the Gold Coast area so generally head south in the morn and north in the eve ... perfect! ... but leaving Brisbane after 2pm is hit or miss when you join the gateway merge! ...

Hi PaulandNic

I really do need to get back to work and not be looking up silly statistics on the web!

Looks like I am wrong, surely those speed cameras cannot be working.

I am sure it has been 3 to 1 in the past but www.worldlifeexpectancy.com which will keep me occupied for a while says differently.

Road deaths per 100,000 people

Australia 6.8

UK 4.8

So australia killing roughly 40% more people per capita than the UK not the 300% I said.

Take a look at the statistics and you will be glad to be driving in either of these countries though.
Cheers

Originally Posted by Hino
Would that be the M1 in UK or the M1 in Australia ?
Both. I went from driving up and down the M1 in the UK to driving up and down the M1 in QLD

Originally Posted by chris955
Motorways in the UK are statistically the safest roads in that country, Im not sure the same can be said in Australia. The reason they are looking at raising the speed limit on motorways is they realise that times have changed, cars are far more advanced, much much safer and drivers are safer. I wouldnt like to see limits increased in Australia as the general standard of driving outweighs the advances in vehicle safety.
Multiple pile ups on motorways are a rare occurrence and definitely occur in both countries.
Yeah 110KPH is fine here if the motorway is empty, but throw a heap of traffic into the equation with their keep right unless overtaking, 1 second rule, + all the rest of bad road habits and it's painful! ... as you know.

Merging? ...
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes meandering along the on ramp at 40kph to join 2 or 3 lanes of traffic doing 100kph. Isn't that what merging means.

Have had so many times now following a vehicle onto the MI desperate for it to pick up speed to safely join the main carriageway especially on the short on ramps.

Last edited by neil248; Jan 12th 2013 at 1:18 am.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yes meandering along the on ramp at 40kph to join 2 or 3 lanes of traffic doing 100kph. Isn't that what merging means.

Have had so many times now following a vehicle onto the MI desperate for it to pick up speed to safely join the main carriageway especially on the short on ramps.
Yes, why do people do that!!!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

My list of driving pet hates. Not only confined to Australia.

Drivers that...
  • Don't indicate or indicate incorrectly
  • Drive much slower than the speed limit unnecessarily
  • Drive much faster than the speed limit unnecessarily
  • Don't merge at traffic flow speed
  • Drive in the RH lane for no reason holding up traffic behind
  • Never check their rear-view or side mirrors
  • Are oblivious or don't care that anyone is behind them
  • Drift into another lane without indicating
  • Tailgate on fast roads - especially semis
  • Stop or almost stop at roundabouts when there is no traffic to wait for
  • Don't give way to people already on the roundabout to their left or right
  • Use mobile phones
  • Chat away to a passenger
  • Do U turns across a solid white line
  • Do U turns at lights when there is no sign to say they can
  • Drive busses that just pull out even if you're alongside them or just behind
  • Sail through Orange and Red lights
  • Stay behind the white line to turn right when there is oncoming traffic and the light is green
  • Don't let others into traffic from side roads
  • Don't drive perfectly like me
Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
My list of driving pet hates. Not only confined to Australia.

Drivers that...
  • Don't indicate or indicate incorrectly
  • Drive much slower than the speed limit unnecessarily
  • Drive much faster than the speed limit unnecessarily
  • Don't merge at traffic flow speed
  • Drive in the RH lane for no reason holding up traffic behind
  • Never check their rear-view or side mirrors
  • Are oblivious or don't care that anyone is behind them
  • Drift into another lane without indicating
  • Tailgate on fast roads - especially semis
  • Stop or almost stop at roundabouts when there is no traffic to wait for
  • Don't give way to people already on the roundabout to their left or right
  • Use mobile phones
  • Chat away to a passenger
  • Do U turns across a solid white line
  • Do U turns at lights when there is no sign to say they can
  • Drive busses that just pull out even if you're alongside them or just behind
  • Sail through Orange and Red lights
  • Stay behind the white line to turn right when there is oncoming traffic and the light is green
  • Don't let others into traffic from side roads
  • Don't drive perfectly like me
Love the last one

I don't know if people tailgate all over Australia, but a lot of it goes on in Perth. I travel on a 100km per hour road to and from work and there's always someone up my bum, no matter which lane I'm in, including August 2011 when I had to brake to avoid a large barrel that had fallen off a truck. The tailgater behind me went into and under my vehicle, leaving me with 5 ruptured discs in my neck and lower back. One operation later and another coming up, my feelings towards tailgaters haven't mellowed any. In fact, if I wasn't such a lady I'd get out at the red lights and batter them!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:33 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Tailgating was a huge problem in Brisbane.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:35 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Love the last one

I don't know if people tailgate all over Australia, but a lot of it goes on in Perth. I travel on a 100km per hour road to and from work and there's always someone up my bum, no matter which lane I'm in, including August 2011 when I had to brake to avoid a large barrel that had fallen off a truck. The tailgater behind me went into and under my vehicle, leaving me with 5 ruptured discs in my neck and lower back. One operation later and another coming up, my feelings towards tailgaters haven't mellowed any. In fact, if I wasn't such a lady I'd get out at the red lights and batter them!
Tailgaters are wankers and they are in the same basket as those that think the road traffic laws do not apply to them and can adapt them to suit themselves or those that believe they 'drive better' after a few beers and tip off their drunk friends so they dont get done by booze buses - scum of the earth.

That is terrible about your accident - did the driver get fined/lose points?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Tailgaters are wankers and they are in the same basket as those that think the road traffic laws do not apply to them and can adapt them to suit themselves or those that believe they 'drive better' after a few beers and tip off their drunk friends so they dont get done by booze buses - scum of the earth.

That is terrible about your accident - did the driver get fined/lose points?
Thanks Cheetah. No, the police who attended the accident said that although the other driver was entirely at fault, he probably wouldn't be charged as I had to brake so heavily and suddenly. He didn't get off scott free though, he had to pay for the $10,500 damage to my vehicle as he didn't have comprehensive insurance. My medical treatment's being covered by third party insurance, thank God! The person who did get away with it was the truck driver who didn't secure his (or her) load properly, they buggered off and couldn't be traced. Ah well, stuff happens and at least I'm still alive
Old Jan 12th 2013, 12:08 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks Cheetah. No, the police who attended the accident said that although the other driver was entirely at fault, he probably wouldn't be charged as I had to brake so heavily and suddenly. He didn't get off scott free though, he had to pay for the $10,500 damage to my vehicle as he didn't have comprehensive insurance. My medical treatment's being covered by third party insurance, thank God! The person who did get away with it was the truck driver who didn't secure his (or her) load properly, they buggered off and couldn't be traced. Ah well, stuff happens and at least I'm still alive
I hate driving and only do it because I have to. I had a green P plater yesterday in a gold Elantra (sp?) right up my arse, had I hit the breaks, she would have been up my backside for sure. It doesnt make me go any faster, in fact I slow down - not to annoy them but because it makes them slow down so if they do hit me, its at a slower speed.

People always seem to think they know better than the road laws and can apply them to suit themselves.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Have seen 2 more sets of camera's on bridges, one on the Goldie and one south of Brisbane. I've been told of another but not sited myself yet.

All noted in my head, but you all keep to the speed limit so I'll keep the info to myself, you'll be right! ...
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Have seen 2 more sets of camera's on bridges, one on the Goldie and one south of Brisbane. I've been told of another but not sited myself yet.

All noted in my head, but you all keep to the speed limit so I'll keep the info to myself, you'll be right! ...
And so will you! (we hope)
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Well the Newman Government has to try and bring in money somehow so 'safety' cameras are an ideal tool
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chris955
Well the Newman Government has to try and bring in money somehow so 'safety' cameras are an ideal tool
I also see 2 police bikes between Coomera and Beenleigh on the M1 today ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.