Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New speeding camera's!

New speeding camera's!

Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New speeding camera's!

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
If *I* want to do 120kph then that's MY prerogative. It's ME that gets nicked, the fine and the points. (
Serious question, do you believe speed limits are there just to take your money?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:27 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
The big difference I have found between UK and Aus driving, irrespective of right/wrong of doing 90mph, is that in the UK I found driving a lot easier because I knew what to expect from my fellow drivers. UK drivers are more aware about what's going on around them and how their actions may affect others. Here, it's every man for himself.

I blame it on two things: lack of professional driving lessons - therefore bad habits are passed on; young people in big cars - new drivers in V6s are bad news.

How many times do you see a driver executing a left-hand turn end up on the wrong side of the road?

How many time do you see a driver doing a right turn at a junction not do it as a right-angle? It's possible to hit somebody here pulling out left onto a main road at a junction because the muppet turning right off the main road is right in front of you.

Any newcomers should prepare themselves for a big shock. Lane-hogging, tailgating...Don't expect to be let into traffic. It's so different.
Spot On.

And don't get me started on the numbnuts that swing out to the left before they turn right ... like they need some kind of momentum ...

Add the prevalence of Kiddy Killing 4WDs (TM) and it's a perfect storm.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:00 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Serious question, do you believe speed limits are there just to take your money?
Of course not, but they need updating both here and in the UK. I heard on a London radio station I listen to not long ago that they was considering raising the speed limit to 80mph, 100 would be better IMHO.

Vehicles (apart from London taxis) are a diff ballgame from the stuff that was being made back in the good ole days, and are fine at these speeds. I recall my ole Mini 1275GT being quick, but throw it on the highway and that's your headache back from earlier.

Oh and obv revenue raising. I'm sure everyone knows a copper who has admitted that's the MAIN reason for the damn things!

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Spot On.

And don't get me started on the numbnuts that swing out to the left before they turn right ... like they need some kind of momentum ...

Add the prevalence of Kiddy Killing 4WDs (TM) and it's a perfect storm.
I see that a lot too, even a bloke yesterday going up the M1 on one them crappy Harley Davidson copy type motorbikes. He'd swerve left and go right, swerve right and go left with EVERY lane change. I followed him for a K or two through the Clem7 and just kept changing lanes for no reason ...

Oh and not forgetting the joining the motorway straight into lane 2,3, or even straight into 4. This when there's no other ****er on the motorway!! ...

Standards need to be raised here too.

My OH worked with a fellow Pom a few years back who had failed 7 driving tests in the UK. She was advised to give up and maybe try a moped as there was no sign that she was improving with each test.

Passed first time @ Helensvale Test Centre - Gold Coast QLD ...

Fact!
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...psc4730f17.jpg

I currently drive for 4+ hours per day doing service calls and am struggling with the stupidity on the roads and can't do it no more ...
You're not the only one

Bye the way nice pic, but if you want to reduce the vibration a little, try holding the camera with both hands and steering with your left knee while focusing the camera at the speedo, or were you already doing that ?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Of course not, but they need updating both here and in the UK. I heard on a London radio station I listen to not long ago that they was considering raising the speed limit to 80mph, 100 would be better IMHO.

Vehicles (apart from London taxis) are a diff ballgame from the stuff that was being made back in the good ole days, and are fine at these speeds. I recall my ole Mini 1275GT being quick, but throw it on the highway and that's your headache back from earlier.
Cars might become safer but peoples reaction times don't get better. In fact, they might be worse.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

100mph is too fast and the stopping distances are huge. When I was living in Germany I saw the aftermath of a couple of 100mph autobahn accidents. No one survives.

Over here in Oz I wouldn't want them lifting at all ever. As previous posters have said they are crap drivers here and giving them license to whizz up the F3 at 150kmph is a recipe for disaster.

Also when was the last time you heard of a major 20 car plus pile up over here. It rarely happens because of the limits. Seems to happen more in the UK. But it seems obvious it would if everyone is driving at 90mph as at that speed your stopping distance is almost 200 metres where as at 70 is 92 metres.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hino
You're not the only one

Bye the way nice pic, but if you want to reduce the vibration a little, try holding the camera with both hands and steering with your left knee while focusing the camera at the speedo, or were you already doing that ?
Oh it's all good, was just a crappy camera.

Not big, and not clever, but I'd roll a joint while steering with me legs. Could do slight corners too with both legs. I don't give a **** anymore about what's thought of me on here, can it get any worse? ... and am sure this is frowned upon, but I am a very good driver with excellent reflex times. I survived 10 years as a motorbike courier in London before driving a black cab there for another 10, I know my shit!

Oh and I read the road ahead! ... best advice I can give anyone is to do that. Too many times I've witnessed the car in front hit the car in front of them, yet I see it coming a mile off.

Cars might become safer but peoples reaction times don't get better. In fact, they might be worse.
Fair point and can't offer any argument. Peoples reaction times differ from country to country too it appears! ...

All I can say is THANK GOD I drive a company car ...
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest gripe for me here is the not keeping left. If *I* want to do 120kph then that's MY prerogative. (
I agree. I'm not a copper and if you are on the motorway driving safely and assertively, flash me from a km back and I'll happily get out of your way. Even that was so much nicer in the UK - a wave to the guy behind you for letting you in; a wave from the guy going past in 3. Flashing truckies to let them know they are safe to come in, and them using the hazards to say thanks. I'm going to start crying with all this reminiscing.

On the other hand, if you are all over the place, expect me to report you.

I always drove at 90mph on the UK motorways. Here, I keep at or below 100kph in the inside lane away from muppets: I feel safer. I hope they don't increase the limit here as there will be bedlam.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by martin1978
100mph is too fast and the stopping distances are huge. When I was living in Germany I saw the aftermath of a couple of 100mph autobahn accidents. No one survives.

Over here in Oz I wouldn't want them lifting at all ever. As previous posters have said they are crap drivers here and giving them license to whizz up the F3 at 150kmph is a recipe for disaster.

Also when was the last time you heard of a major 20 car plus pile up over here. It rarely happens because of the limits. Seems to happen more in the UK. But it seems obvious it would if everyone is driving at 90mph as at that speed your stopping distance is almost 200 metres where as at 70 is 92 metres.
All fair enough, I hear you on that. Can't offer an argument for others but appreciate I HAVE to share the road with these people.

I was gonna mention the German autobahns earlier but looks like I was best not to from what you say.

Now back onto speeding cameras...

From the OP - M1 North just after Smith St merge...

(pic taken heading south)

and if you don't know, the M1 going north again a bridge or 2 past the Logan Motorway turn off - 100KPH...

(From heading south)

I know about these and will drop from 160KPH to 100KPH just till I'm past, then it's lead foot till I get to my destination

But believe it or not I just wanted to offer help or the hot tip to all the others that aren't goody goody enough to NEVER have gone over a speed limit in their lives ... :rollthem****ingeyes:

Thread can die for all I care.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I agree. I'm not a copper and if you are on the motorway driving safely and assertively, flash me from a km back and I'll happily get out of your way. Even that was so much nicer in the UK - a wave to the guy behind you for letting you in; a wave from the guy going past in 3. Flashing truckies to let them know they are safe to come in, and them using the hazards to say thanks. I'm going to start crying with all this reminiscing.

On the other hand, if you are all over the place, expect me to report you.

I always drove at 90mph on the UK motorways. Here, I keep at or below 100kph in the inside lane away from muppets: I feel safer. I hope they don't increase the limit here as there will be bedlam.
Don't set me off, them were the days, but shit weather!
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Mate, if you do 160kph here at all then you should be off the road, regardless of your confidence level.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Mate, if you do 160kph here at all then you should be off the road, regardless of your confidence level.
Hey Mr Nige, do me a favour and go Google what smileys are and when to use them. You seem to be having an issue understanding them, bless!

I placed a 'sarcastic' smiley after that comment...

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt", usually conveyed through irony or understatement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Now be a good little boy and go do some reading. I don't want to hear from you till you understand the use of all of them thank you.

Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey Mr Nige, do me a favour and go Google what smileys are and when to use them. You seem to be having an issue understanding them, bless!

I placed a 'sarcastic' smiley after that comment...

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt", usually conveyed through irony or understatement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Now be a good little boy and go do some reading. I don't want to hear from you till you understand the use of all of them thank you.

Does the angry smiley mean you're angry at me or is it you admitting that speeding can result in smashing into a brick wall?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you are kidding about 160kph on the M1 pacific motorway. Also have trouble with smileys.

If caught you will be on the front page of the Gold Coast Bulletin as a worse criminal than the armed robbers the police don't catch.

Fair enough people are caught fair and square if they are speeding but I have sometimes laughed at the way they describe someone done for say 130kph as basically a criminal

It is about 80mph and you are likely to be moving left to let other vehicles past on a british motorway.

Got to agree 160 is crazy here as other drivers are not expecting a vehicle to be travelling at this speed.

On an unrestricted Autobahn drivers would at least know a car could be travelling at 250kph ( 155mph) . I think the driving is better but any crash at that speed is catastrophic

Last edited by neil248; Jan 11th 2013 at 4:37 am.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree with the poster about multiple pile ups, never heard of one here.

Problem is Australians with a population of around 20 million people kill the same amount of people on the roads per year as the UK with a popultion of 60 million.

In simple terms 3 times as bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.