Reload this Page >

New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:18 am
Just Joined

McLearyCo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

Hi All,

Complete newbie here so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but I can't really seem to get definitive answers from DAFF's website on how long my dog will need to be quarantined for. Presuming she gets all the blood tests / boosters / rabies etc within the guidelines, how long will she be locked up for upon arrival into Aus?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

p.s: she's a Lab cross so not a banned dog or anything.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:07 am
Just Joined

MikeSS is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome.
OK, so if your dog has had a microchip, then if it's her first rabies vaccination you need to wait for 4 weeks, then you can get the rabies blood test done (if it's not the first rabies vaccination then there's no need to wait). The rabies vaccination must not be more than 12 months old at the time of export. Then the main thing is the time that passes after the blood test. A minimum of 60 days must pass, but then there would be 120 days in quarantine. The minimum time in quarantine is 30 days, as long as at least 150 days have passed since the blood test. The blood test can only be a maximum of 12 months before the flight.

Then obviously there's the import permit, export permit and annual vaccinations that need to be in order (now including kennel cough) and the blood tests that need to be done within the 30 days of shipment.

Hope that makes sense! Feel free to post if there are more answers you need!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:43 am
Just Joined

McLearyCo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

That's excellent, makes sense now. Either it has been a hard week or the site just didn't break it down.

I've not even properly planned this for myself yet but wanted to check the mutt wouldn't be locked down for 6-months as someone (most likely jealous I'm planning a move and they're not) said she would be!

Thanks very much!

Matt
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

paulez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I'm new here. I'm Spanish moving to Sydney in July. I'm getting all documentation and vaccinations for my dog. I will travel from Madrid via London and I've contacted the pet travel agent Ladyhaye, they seem really efficient and patient with my 200 questions (I'm really worried about my dog's trip). I would like to know anyone's experience who travelled to Australia with this agency, and your pet's experience, too. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

mrslowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Thank you for this information. My husband and I are moving to Perth in October.

Can anyone tell me how there dog coped with moving to Oz. How long did they end up in the crate for? Was your dog ok in the kennel/quartine for 30 days? Did you think they were well looked after and walked etc?

As you can tell I am really worried about the stress the move will have on our dog but I do not want to leave her behind. I would love to know of anyone else's experiences on this please.

Thanks!

Sarah
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:41 am
Just Joined

laetitia1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello,

i am new on the forum.

We are moving to Adelaide in July and i am worried for my two cats, one of them is death and very stressful cat( can lick himself to blood when he is stressed) I am just concerned should i let themwith my mum but she will have the same issue when she will come

They have a passport and have vaccinate for rabies for 10 years now even last year we redo the all things because we forgot the rabbies shot by two days.

Do they still need other vaccination like long time before travelling?

Do you recommend any company to make them fly?

Where are they hold in quanrantaine? do they have one in Adeliade or would it be big cities like Sydney?

Let me know

Thanks

laeti
Old Apr 25th 2012, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Laeti,
It will be a little bit stressful for your cats but they do cope very well. You can talk to your vet about sprays that you can put in the flight box to calm them down, and you can also put something of yours in the crate with them for a familiar smell- this works really well.
The will need to have had their rabies vaccination and a blood test within a year of the trip- old ones do not count :-( They will also need to have their annual vaccinations up-to-date (no less than 14 days and no more that 1 year before the trip).
And Quarantine is in Sydney, Melbourne or Perth. It's (at least) 30 days there, then there are companies that can arrange an internal flight for you.
Hope this helps!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mike,

they are rabies vaccinate for 11 years now and last year aroudn January i had the redo the blood test ,will it count? I do not know how to start , should I go to the Embassy?
otherwise we are leaving mid july and i do not want to put them 120 days in quarantaine , as we have only three months to organsie everything?

I am not worried about the transport , I am worried as kenzo my death cat is very stressed and can lick himself until blood if he panics!! and I do not want to organise everything and find out three months later he is sent back to uk as nobody will be here to pick him up

thanks

laeti
Old May 4th 2012, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

guys,

It is the worst day ever today, my vet just told me my rabbies was vliad 3 years from december 2009 adn did not redo it in january 2012 but forgot to mention it to me so I have to redo everything so it means they will not travel until November, I am so crossed about that news.
In my head everything was fine

I am worried that december will be too hot for those little cats as they are both 12 years old but I do not want to let them behind, my kids are evry attacehd to them!

Anyone with good news to cheer me up!!

Bye

laeti
Old May 16th 2012, 6:14 am
Just Joined

BeccaP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I brought my dog in from the UK last year.

As far as I am aware, you can only use the carriers listed on the AQIS website to organise your pets travel. (when we took our pet into the UK you could organise alot yourself and save alot of money)

When we flew our dog here, you had to use Qantas. He did the minumum 30 days in quarantine at Eastern Creek. There are visiting open hours for everyone & exercise slots you can book that are on a first come first served basis so book ahead if you can so you don't miss out.

Australia has the strictest quarantine in the world, so make sure you have everything in order & if you are unsure then do check again to save yourself the hassle this end. It's like applying for your residency, if you do everything they ask on the site you will find it is a smooth process.. if you don't there will be delays!

Also.. it is a bit depressing when you visit your pet because you feel guilty! So try to be happy for your pets sake as you will be the only interaction they get really with anyone other than the animal attendants who feed & clean the runs..

Good luck :-) it is worth it in the end.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:28 am
Banned

fashionever is an unknown quantity at this point

If this is a minimum of 60 days before the flight, then it is a quarantine up to 120 days if it is 150 days or more, then it's just in isolation for at least 30 days.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:24 am
Just Joined

There can be a bit of confusion with the regulations, since there are so many!

Basically pets must have a microchip, then if it's her first rabies vaccination you need to wait for 4 weeks, then you can get the rabies blood test done (if it's not the first rabies vaccination then there's no need to wait). The rabies vaccination must not be more than 12 months old at the time of export.

It's important that the right amount of time passes after the blood test. A minimum of 60 days must pass, but then there would be 120 days in quarantine. The minimum time in quarantine is 30 days, as long as at least 150 days have passed since the blood test. The blood test can only be a maximum of 12 months before the flight.

Then obviously there's the import permit, export permit and annual vaccinations that need to be in order (now including kennel cough) and the blood tests that need to be done within the 30 days of shipment. If in doubt it's always a good idea to talk to a pet shipper. They should be able to talk you through what is needed and if you're not sure about where your pet is along the line they can give you a timescale.

Now, there are rumours in the wind that the quarantine period may be coming down to just 10 days, as long as all the criteria are in place (there is at least an extra tick treatment required). This amazing development is only "under consultation" at the moment, so don't start planning for it, but keep your eyes and ears open. I can't see it being before the end of this year, but it's great news nonetheless!
Old Oct 6th 2012, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,
we are thinking of going back to Australia some time next year and will bring our two cats. I think I got most of the regulations, but not sure about the following: kitties had their rabies vaccinations in March 2012 (this year). Will do the blood test in the next couple of weeks, and I know that this is valid for 12 months, but will I still have to do another rabies vaccination in March 2013 ? Or anything else to watch out for , like is the blood test only valid to the next vaccination and have to do another blood test after that ?

Bit confused and grateful for any help. Thanks :-)

Katie
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Barond is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

First post here. Well I am Australian and my husband is British. We are currently in Thailand with our 8 rescue dogs. As we cannot go directly to Australia from here, we will be spending 8 months in France to prepare the dogs for Australia. As you can imagine I have had to do an incredible amount of research on importing and exporting our pets, as I will be doing most of it myself, otherwise we would not be able to afford it.
Anyway a few months ago I visited the Aust bio security website and there was a proposal to change or update certain aspects of quarantine procedures.
Quote:
Key proposals of the draft policy review are:
- that the importation of dogs and cats should continue to be from approved countries
- an increased emphasis on off-shore management of rabies, including mandatory rabies vaccination and laboratory testing for all dogs and cats imported from any approved country (except New Zealand)
- removal of post-arrival quarantine requirements for rabies
- an increased emphasis on off-shore management of parasites of biosecurity concern through adoption of more rigorous pre-export treatment of both dogs and cats
- a minimum mandatory post-arrival quarantine period for dogs and cats of 10 days be adopted to address the risks of external parasites and associated vector-borne diseases.

I believe all other procedures will remain the same. Anyway, it seems at the moment they are looking at all the pros and cons and comments from stakeholders whether or not they will implement such a change.
I am crossing my fingers, as this will significantly cut the costs of quarantine for 8 dogs
This change (if it happens) will not likely happen for months, but thought I would give everyone a heads up in case you arent in a hurry or would rather wait to see if they do.
If anyone has any further info on it. Let us all know.
PS: please dont get your hopes up too much but
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

TessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really nice

Hi Barond,

Welcome and glad to see there are other 'crazy' dog lovers out there

We have 4 dogs and 2 cats that will be travelling with us next August to Melbourne, they are all rescues from Naples and I too am hoping that the review of regulations will mean a shorter quarantine period and less financial outlay.

We will be using Petair to transfer our brood as they have been great with tailoring the quote down to a realistic figure, although its still fairly hefty!

However, we are not banking on the review changing things so will be going with current times and costs until advised otherwise. If you go to the AQIS website you can opt in to email alerts and that's the quickest way to be notified of any changes to regulations.

Just a thought, have you done a dry run with testing on your gang for any of the other diseases noted on the website, we have and one our dogs has a high titre for ehrlichia which when treated with doxycycline reduces to acceptable levels. We've done this a couple of times and am hoping that when the 'real' tests are done his titre will once again fall below the 1:40 required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.