Reload this Page >

New Job offer/ Improved Job title 1 year before landing in Australia

New Job offer/ Improved Job title 1 year before landing in Australia

Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Flames123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post New Job offer/ Improved Job title 1 year before landing in Australia

Hello all,
I have got my Australian PR and intend to come permanently to Australia in 2016.
I have however just received a new Job offer with better/ updated position (Middle Management). This is a good career move and am hoping that the new responsibilities will give me a better chance of getting jobs in Australia.
My question is this- will a 10 month - 1 year time frame in last company (new job) make a negative impact on my CV?
As of now, I have been working for 8 years in my current company(Engineering). I am quite keen on taking up the new job largely because i believe the experience and title is good for my career and eventual move to Australia.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 3:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Job offer/ Improved Job title 1 year before landing in Australia

Hiya - a few things.

I don't think it will matter to a prospective employer here (Australia) that you were only in your last job for a year or so. Big, unexplained gaps in a resume can be a problem, changing jobs after 8 years in the same job wouldn't.

Have you told the recruitment people at the new job there that you'll be leaving in 12 months? You'll probably be relying on them for a reference, so that's something to think about.

Re the title of your thread - it'll be the duties you've been performing that will be of interest to prospective employers over here - not your job title. For example, a Director of Sanitation Services could mean that someone cleans out the bogs at the local racetrack. Only take the new job if it's a genuine career move - higher level duties, learning different and useful skills, etc.

Good luck with it all.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Flames123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Job offer/ Improved Job title 1 year before landing in Australia

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hiya - a few things.

I don't think it will matter to a prospective employer here (Australia) that you were only in your last job for a year or so. Big, unexplained gaps in a resume can be a problem, changing jobs after 8 years in the same job wouldn't.

Have you told the recruitment people at the new job there that you'll be leaving in 12 months? You'll probably be relying on them for a reference, so that's something to think about.

Re the title of your thread - it'll be the duties you've been performing that will be of interest to prospective employers over here - not your job title. For example, a Director of Sanitation Services could mean that someone cleans out the bogs at the local racetrack. Only take the new job if it's a genuine career move - higher level duties, learning different and useful skills, etc.

Good luck with it all.
Thank-you for replying.

This is definitely a good career move, there is no doubt about it.Definitely a progression. If i were going to continue here, i would not think twice about taking it up. Now that you mention that it wont make a negative impact and is just the natural step forward, I am even more keen on pursuing it.

The job title in every way reflects what I do, in my line of work and is quite standard worldwide.
And I am in Engineering and Technology not in Sanitation (its engineering counterpart or otherwise )

I agree I will need the reference letter, I do believe they will grant me the same when they learn I am leaving the country and not going to another competitor.