Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Citizenship Legislation

New Citizenship Legislation

Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:21 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Citizenship Legislation

Booked my appointment yesterday for citizenship interview at the end of this month.

Been here 2 years I wonder if they will still accept us now?

Louise
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Shit!!!

We've got our Citizenship interviews booked for the 30th of September at the Perth DIMIA office!
I hope this isn't pushed through parliament too quickly.

Does anyone know if the date you apply is taken as you being in the system, meaning you'll be unaffected by the changes if they are made law before your ceremony??
Scossie,

Chill man, you'll be fine. Sure they will have to "draw a line in the sand" but the legslation needs to be tabled and passed. You'll have your letter from the minister long before then.

Looks like the "just stay 2 years, get my citizenship and piss off back to the UK" brigade will be stuffed though.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2 year timeframe is an emotional barrier that I had set myself when I first thought about coming to Aus. My plan was to stay that long ad then at least the kids would have passports that would enable them to return at anytime in the future. I am not planning to move on but am still pissed off that the citizenship will now be extended to 3 years.

I know someone said between 3 and 9 months before the legislation is passed but does anyone know a more accurate time frame. I have got 3.5 months left before I hit the two years and so it could be borderline for me.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:17 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Scossie,

Chill man, you'll be fine. Sure they will have to "draw a line in the sand" but the legslation needs to be tabled and passed. You'll have your letter from the minister long before then.

Looks like the "just stay 2 years, get my citizenship and piss off back to the UK" brigade will be stuffed though.
Yeah, I think you're right. Just got a bit panicky when I saw this cos we've been eligible for 4 months & only applied last week!

As for the, "2 years then piss off back" brigade, I have no sympathy for them!
It's a privilege to even be eligible to move to Oz, and a lot of good people who want to emigrate here simply can't.

The bugger off brigade are spoiling it for people who really want to commit to Australia for the rest of their lives!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The bugger off brigade are spoiling it for people who really want to commit to Australia for the rest of their lives!
Damn Skippy!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:19 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

This is coming in 2 months before I am due for citizenship. Looks like the proposals for taking into account temp partner visa time in Australia are being ditched. I have been with the Mrs 7 years, have an Australian child, been married for nearly 3 years. Perversley I could be a Citizen by now if I had delayed my initial application and waited until I was eligible for PR and spent less time in Australia.

I shall be writing to the relevant members of parliament.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:21 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by bondipom
This is coming in 2 months before I am due for citizenship. Looks like the proposals for taking into account temp partner visa time in Australia are being ditched. I have been with the Mrs 7 years, have an Australian child, been married for nearly 3 years. Perversley I could be a Citizen by now if I had delayed my initial application and waited until I was eligible for PR and spent less time in Australia.

Hey BP, that's pretty tough mate, how can you be sure when exactly it's coming in? When will you be eligible for citizenship under this new rule?
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:27 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how they will play this, will they just say everybody needs to be in the country 3 years regardless of whether their 2 years might be coming up in the next month, or even couple of weeks?

Or will this be for people who are granted their visas AFTER the legislation is in place?

Or will it be for people who enter Australia AFTER the legislation is in place?

I guess Jeremy is right and it doesnt make a huge amount of difference, but I was certainly looking forward to having an Aus passport in a couple of years...
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Westfield Boy, how do you know the dates?
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:28 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

I need 7 months
it seems i have to add another 12 months = 19 months
this is not fare
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This is coming in 2 months before I am due for citizenship. Looks like the proposals for taking into account temp partner visa time in Australia are being ditched.
Quite the contrary - it looks like they are going ahead with Hardgrave's 2004 changes as well:

The announcement on the citizenship website says:

"The draft legislation will also give effect to changes announced by the Minister for Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs on 7 July 2004."

Jeremy
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Shit!!!

We've got our Citizenship interviews booked for the 30th of September at the Perth DIMIA office!
I hope this isn't pushed through parliament too quickly.

Does anyone know if the date you apply is taken as you being in the system, meaning you'll be unaffected by the changes if they are made law before your ceremony??
1. It will take a few months at least before the legislation is drafted and passed through Parliament.

2. Those who *apply* for citizenship before the new law comes into force will likely not be affected (but we will have to see).

However booking a citizenship interview does not constitute an application, unless you've submitted a form online or through the mail.

Jeremy
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. It will take a few months at least before the legislation is drafted and passed through Parliament.

2. Those who *apply* for citizenship before the new law comes into force will likely not be affected (but we will have to see).

However booking a citizenship interview does not constitute an application, unless you've submitted a form online or through the mail.

Jeremy

I guess one cannot apply until the two years are up? I have another 14 months.
Ian
Old Sep 8th 2005, 2:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Ian12
I guess one cannot apply until the two years are up? I have another 14 months.
Ian

Correct. In your case it sounds like you'll have to wait and see how the legislation is finally framed.

Jeremy
Old Sep 8th 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Correct. In your case it sounds like you'll have to wait and see how the legislation is finally framed.

Jeremy
I have 2 weeks to go as we have been out of the country for a month
guess I may look at doing it sooner rather than later. It's not that I am looking at going yet but if one of my parents got really sick it would be nice to have that choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.