Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New bloke here - hi to everyone

New bloke here - hi to everyone

Old Sep 1st 2006, 2:06 pm
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold
Default New bloke here - hi to everyone

Hi everyone, just came across this site and thought it looked fun/useful, so thought it was about time I got my arse in gear to register. I live in Sydney (Parramatta) with my wife, and we've been here for just over a year now. I'm a teacher and my wife works for ANZ in the city. I managed to get into Australia on a spouse visa as my wife is an Aussie citizen (though she is originally an Assyrian from Iraq if that means anything to anyone on here). So far I'm enjoying it, but I have to say that I'm missing so many things from home - I'm originally from Sheffield but we'd been living in Twickenham for a few years. OK, what do I miss? Family and friends (can't beat a few beers with the lads) , the football, a good old English pub, the closeness to the rest of Europe - it was great to hop on an easyjet flight to Athens, Berlin, Paris, Rome etc etc just for the weekend at the drop of a hat - that's not exactly easy from here. I'm still at the undecided stage - I can see the benefits of living in Australia, but at the same time I can see the benefits of living in England. I guess I'm fortunate to be able to choose!

Having been here for a year or so I know a lot of Aussies, and Assyrians (the wife's family) but haven't really met any other pommies, apart from informally whilst watching England games or the Premier League in Cheers or Scruffy Murphys.

I enjoyed reading someone else's post about the poor driving here - I have to agree with that, particularly the way that other drivers don't let you in on the motorway or on a dual carriageway - in fact they speed up just to stop you getting in. Unbelieveable.

Anyway, thats enough waffle - cheers and hello again.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: New bloke here - hi to everyone

Hi and welcome to the forum!!!! Try searching on the "meet-ups" section of the forum and see if there are any local meet ups in your area. If not - organise one!!!! There's normally a few people that fancy a jar or two! Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hello
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 3:05 pm

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

Hi girls, yeah I might have to do that. By the way Karen, what can i expect from Surfers Paradise? Just booked a 5 night stay there in October but i've never been.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome - hope that you stick around!
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Oldrockchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: New bloke here - hi to everyone

Hi I'm knew to the site also. We are thinking of moving to Australia and have been recommended to this site by someone in Bristol, England whose in the process of waiting for the outcome of their visa application. We asked what pages of our passports are needed for our visa application. They copied so much paperwork they cannot remember.

Please can someone help desparate for help :scared: - new passports no entries.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:19 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the site. I must warn you though, its very addictive!!

All the best, hope you continue to enjoy your life in Oz.

Joex
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oldrockchick
Hi I'm knew to the site also. We are thinking of moving to Australia and have been recommended to this site by someone in Bristol, England whose in the process of waiting for the outcome of their visa application. We asked what pages of our passports are needed for our visa application. They copied so much paperwork they cannot remember.

Please can someone help desparate for help :scared: - new passports no entries.

Hello and welcome to all the new posters

For the passport, just the bio-dated pages.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 4:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
Hi everyone, just came across this site and thought it looked fun/useful, so thought it was about time I got my arse in gear to register. I live in Sydney (Parramatta) with my wife, and we've been here for just over a year now. I'm a teacher and my wife works for ANZ in the city. I managed to get into Australia on a spouse visa as my wife is an Aussie citizen (though she is originally an Assyrian from Iraq if that means anything to anyone on here). So far I'm enjoying it, but I have to say that I'm missing so many things from home - I'm originally from Sheffield but we'd been living in Twickenham for a few years. OK, what do I miss? Family and friends (can't beat a few beers with the lads) , the football, a good old English pub, the closeness to the rest of Europe - it was great to hop on an easyjet flight to Athens, Berlin, Paris, Rome etc etc just for the weekend at the drop of a hat - that's not exactly easy from here. I'm still at the undecided stage - I can see the benefits of living in Australia, but at the same time I can see the benefits of living in England. I guess I'm fortunate to be able to choose!

Having been here for a year or so I know a lot of Aussies, and Assyrians (the wife's family) but haven't really met any other pommies, apart from informally whilst watching England games or the Premier League in Cheers or Scruffy Murphys.

I enjoyed reading someone else's post about the poor driving here - I have to agree with that, particularly the way that other drivers don't let you in on the motorway or on a dual carriageway - in fact they speed up just to stop you getting in. Unbelieveable.

Anyway, thats enough waffle - cheers and hello again.
Welcome to the site; with a name like that you have to be a Forest fan? I try and follow them from a distance now, Tricky Tree is an even bigger fan as he hails from the wonderful city itself
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:07 am

Yeah I'm afraid so. I'm a big Forest fan, even though I hail from Sheffield. My dad was from Nottingham, so that's my excuse. I used to go home and away, even overseas to watch them. The less said about the present state of affairs the better!!

Top of the league mind you!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:16 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm afraid so. I'm a big Forest fan, even though I hail from Sheffield. My dad was from Nottingham, so that's my excuse. I used to go home and away, even overseas to watch them. The less said about the present state of affairs the better!!

Top of the league mind you!
Followed them since I was 6, back in the 70s heydays Only got to see them play once live though, as we moved south. Still think brian should've been England manager - I might have retained more interest in football if he had
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:02 am

Yeah he should definitely have been England manager, but the FA wanted a yes man at the time which he certainly wasn't! Having only been to one game you've probably been saved from a life of disappointment and frustration, standard emotions for most Forest fans!!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:11 am
Home and Happy

Yeah he should definitely have been England manager, but the FA wanted a yes man at the time which he certainly wasn't! Having only been to one game you've probably been saved from a life of disappointment and frustration, standard emotions for most Forest fans!!
So true, if he'd been a yes men he'd have gone far, but then that wasn't brian.
Believe me though, I suffered from afar, spent many hours justifying my support of a team sliding backwards