Reload this Page >

Network Administrator looking for work

Network Administrator looking for work

Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

mnaylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Network Administrator looking for work

Hi Guys,
Just completed my IELTS and I'm ready to submit my EOI, my job title is a schedule 2 on the WASOL. Which means I need a job offer in place before I can get my Visa.
So this is my first step on looking for employment in Australia.

Does anybody know of which sites, agencies etc are best to go to with regards for job applications?

Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2014, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Network Administrator looking for work

SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

Also see if the IT recruiters you are familiar with in the UK have a presence in Australia.

I am sorry to say, I think your chances are very slim, but..
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

Also see if the IT recruiters you are familiar with in the UK have a presence in Australia.

I am sorry to say, I think your chances are very slim, but..
How so? A quick search reveals 9000 network jobs.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Oh well it should be easy then.

Although when I looked, I found only 4. Not 4 thousand, but just the 4 roles for network administrators in Western Australia.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Nov 2nd 2014 at 8:48 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
But how many of those would be willing to go through the hassle and cost of sponsoring someone when they could just employ a person already in Australia?
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Most employers use agencies now to fill positions in IT. They are flooded with CV's, it is very difficult to get the attention of the agents.
Once you do get their attention, a phone interview with them is the first step, then they will want to meet you in person.
After the face to face they may put you forward for a possible job.
The actual employer will then have a stack of CV's and may pick you out, but they too will also want to meet you at an interview before making an offer.

I just spent the last 5 weeks going through this process and have finally got a 3 month Desktop Support contract job. I have MCSA and ITIL. It was a nightmare to land even this role.

Frequently I would get an interview with an agency that would go brilliantly. They would rave about how good I was and how they had lots and lots of positions available for me. Then nothing would appear.
Most recently I went in for an agency interview on a Monday, where he was saying he had 5 jobs for me, told me how great I was, that he couldnt find good candidates, that he would call me the next day etc etc. Two days later I managed to get hold of him and he then said he had no roles available.

So the agencies are a nightmare to deal with, even if you are here.

Dealing direct is often just as difficult because they have normally have a HR department that can only be contacted by email, which they typically ignore. The HR staff have no clue about IT related matters so often you just get an email saying they are considering candidates.

Honestly I don't think you will have any luck applying if you are not in the country. Your best bet would be a working holiday visa if you qualify

Agencies to check out :

roberthalf.com.au
hays.com.au
talentinternational.com.au
titanrecruitment.com.au
peoplebank.com.au
gelgroup.com.au

and the official government site but its not great jobsearch.gov.au

Seek is the best, but an agent told me it can take 5 hours for adverts they submit to appear and by then they often have a list of candidates in mind, so it is best to register with each of them direct

Good luck