Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Negativity v Constructive Comments

Negativity v Constructive Comments

Old May 25th 2011, 11:53 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negativity v Constructive Comments

One positive of the negative comments is that I was expecting some things to be really bad here and in reality they turned out to be okay or no different to the UK.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

We always looked at both sides viewpoints with equal understanding. The reason, people have there own ideas and viewpoints according to there individual life at that time.
All comments are helpful even the sarcastic ones that put a weird smile on our faces at times (mentioning no names)
We see comments as a way of life and like life it's self - varied and not always what you want to see and hear
Old May 26th 2011, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

At the time we emigrated I was given loads of advice on OZ and almost all of it was 100% positive.

However a lot of it was simply a crock of shite.

The truth would have been far more helpful.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the other poster in that is not so much the content of what is said but the way it is delivered. Some posters on here have the diplomacy of a sledge hammer. Some posters say how they feel/have found the experience as an absolute and do not say that it is there experience which can differ according to ones own personality, job situation and budget.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:17 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
I wouldn't agree with the last couple of paragraphs from my own point of view moving to Australia probably added 10 years to my life expectancy as I learned how to live more and work less. That changed with longer hours and more crap at work to deal with.

Moving back to the UK has been easy and 8 months in I've saved more than I did in 5 years in Australia and I haven't really bothered with old friends much although I probably should when I get a car next month and can travel more easily.
What I really meant was financially there are costs involved in migrating, and for the average couple it probably takes 5 years to recoup those costs. Even the cost of visas these days isn’t cheap, and then add on airflights, shipping, the cost of buying new things here in Australia etc. It soon adds up.

The social cost is the new friends. It takes a long time to make really good friends in a new country – I think around 5 years before you enjoy the same level of friendship you enjoyed in the UK.

There is also that unspoken thing: migrating changes you.

I don’t think I have ever seen it mentioned here, but it is a fact. Migration changes your outlook on life. Even if you go back to the UK, you are a different person.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:25 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it. If you're a delicate flower, to post on public forums is asking for it.

Not everything about Australia is great. In fact, much of it is pretty crap and in the wake of the absurdity of our cost of living rises, the reason that many people eye Australia as a new start may not be there anymore. A lot of people consider that "negative". I call it honest opinion.

I've seen posters throw the dummy out the pram because some random strangers made comments which clearly didn't meet the expected fantasy. I especially like the "I've not got rose tinted glasses" comments - bet you have. We all did secretly otherwise you wouldn't bother to move half way around the world

Toughen up princesses. Moving continent is not the feint of heart. It's very rare that anyone is truly nasty on this forum so just take in the spirit that there are a lot of people here with a different way of expressing their views.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Let's face it. If you're a delicate flower, to post on public forums is asking for it.

Not everything about Australia is great. In fact, much of it is pretty crap and in the wake of the absurdity of our cost of living rises, the reason that many people eye Australia as a new start may not be there anymore. A lot of people consider that "negative". I call it honest opinion.

I've seen posters throw the dummy out the pram because some random strangers made comments which clearly didn't meet the expected fantasy. I especially like the "I've not got rose tinted glasses" comments - bet you have. We all did secretly otherwise you wouldn't bother to move half way around the world

Toughen up princesses. Moving continent is not the feint of heart. It's very rare that anyone is truly nasty on this forum so just take in the spirit that there are a lot of people here with a different way of expressing their views.
Faint of heart, princess.

(Agree with it though! )
Old May 26th 2011, 3:11 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Faint of heart, princess.

(Agree with it though! )
BAH <shuffles off to the vocabulary faux pas naughty corner>
Old May 26th 2011, 3:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
BAH <shuffles off to the vocabulary faux pas naughty corner>
Where's that then? Somewhere near pedant pronounciation corner?
Old May 26th 2011, 3:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Where's that then? Somewhere near pedant pronounciation corner?
Yup, then turn left into Irritating **** Court.
Old May 26th 2011, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Its true - a cautionary tale can be taken as either fair warning or negativity depending on the delicacy of one's constitution.

If all you want is unalloyed positivity you'd be better off (a) moving to California and (b) steering well clear of internet forums.

If you want advice, be prepared to take the rough with the smooth. If you want your choices validated by a shower of strangers with a mixed bag of experiences, predjudices and states of sobriety - you're probably looking in the wrong place.
Old May 26th 2011, 6:39 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

It might help if some of the negative comments was backed by evidence. I’m not saying that it isn’t factually based; just that often the facts are left off the post.

“Oh the kebabs in Dubbo are really expensive” doesn’t really mean anything.

“The Kebabs in Dubbo average $15 for a beef with the works. This is $10 dearer than what I paid in Bradford” is more helpful.
Old May 26th 2011, 6:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
It might help if some of the negative comments was backed by evidence. I’m not saying that it isn’t factually based; just that often the facts are left off the post.

“Oh the kebabs in Dubbo are really expensive” doesn’t really mean anything.

“The Kebabs in Dubbo average $15 for a beef with the works. This is $10 dearer than what I paid in Bradford” is more helpful.
In which case you'd have to have the people shouting about how going to the beach is free when in fact they have to pay for getting themselves there so technically it's not free.
Old May 26th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
What I really meant was financially there are costs involved in migrating, and for the average couple it probably takes 5 years to recoup those costs. Even the cost of visas these days isn’t cheap, and then add on airflights, shipping, the cost of buying new things here in Australia etc. It soon adds up.

The social cost is the new friends. It takes a long time to make really good friends in a new country – I think around 5 years before you enjoy the same level of friendship you enjoyed in the UK.

There is also that unspoken thing: migrating changes you.

I don’t think I have ever seen it mentioned here, but it is a fact. Migration changes your outlook on life. Even if you go back to the UK, you are a different person.
Migrating to Australia certainly changed me it toughened me up and made me less caring about people possible not something that people would expect to happen in the lucky country but when costs are high it brings out competition and what has happened to my outlook on life is one of the less desireable side effects. Even working in the City didn't do that to me.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hebe
I agree with the other poster in that is not so much the content of what is said but the way it is delivered. Some posters on here have the diplomacy of a sledge hammer. Some posters say how they feel/have found the experience as an absolute and do not say that it is there experience which can differ according to ones own personality, job situation and budget.

Agree with above first sentance completely.

I wasn't meaning that only good stuff about Australia should be mentioned, but rather how at times it is actually said and put across by some posters but I must admit reading the replies on this thread was in the main pleasant and enjoyable.

I use the forum very occasionally now but in the early days and waiting for the visa etc was on here day/noon/night and at it's best it's a huge source of information but all to often there are just such nasty/sarky/unhelpful comments you wonder why they bother to post you maybe fed up of reading someone looking for a place to live for the millionith time but for them it's the first time of asking........I guess just think before you post sometimes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.