Reload this Page >

NBLQ (National Beach Lifeguard Qualification) & PADI Suba Divers

NBLQ (National Beach Lifeguard Qualification) & PADI Suba Divers

Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Shelley_nev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NBLQ (National Beach Lifeguard Qualification) & PADI Suba Divers

Hello,

Just a quick one, im going to Oz in sept and i will be taking my NBLQ before i go.

Firstly can i use the NBLQ in oz? especially in Sydney?

secondly would they except me if i had no experience in lifeguarding? I am waiting for a reply on a job i went for which was lifeguard operations assistant. It's more of the other side of a lifeguard role but behind the scene. Or should i apply for the lifeguard role on the beach from July - Sept? The only thing is, is that it is organised by the same employer!!!

Was is the best thing to do?

Merging my NBLQ (when i get it) with my padi qualification. At what level could i work for a scuba diving company? Do i need to be at the professional level of at least Divemaster?

All replies welcome, thank you in advance

Regards
Shelley
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NBLQ (National Beach Lifeguard Qualification) & PADI Suba Divers

No idea about the lifeguard side.

PADI considers scuba divers to be professional to Divemaster but due to the popularity of diving as a short term fun job I would think you will be unlikely to get any paid work without Instructor qualifications
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spottydog
No idea about the lifeguard side.

PADI considers scuba divers to be professional to Divemaster but due to the popularity of diving as a short term fun job I would think you will be unlikely to get any paid work without Instructor qualifications

Ok that's shame but i'm not completely shocked about my slim chances of getting paid work. Think i'll just keep it as a hobbie instead. You never know i may be in the right place at the right time!

Are you PADI qualified? if so how long did it take for you to get where you are? if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shelley_nev
Ok that's shame but i'm not completely shocked about my slim chances of getting paid work. Think i'll just keep it as a hobbie instead. You never know i may be in the right place at the right time!

Are you PADI qualified? if so how long did it take for you to get where you are? if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
I'm PADI qualified, did my OW and AOW in 1998 and rescue diver a number of years later when I got a good deal on the price (didn't see the reason for doing it before that). I've no interest in training divers so not bothered doing further PADI qual's.

Since arriving in Oz I've become a BSAC diver but everything I have done for diving has been pleasure not professional (prefer to earn money and spend it on diving than trying to live on the money paid working in diving)
Old Mar 12th 2010, 9:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch is your man for info on Life Saving. He'll probably be along at some point, or you could PM him.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spottydog
I'm PADI qualified, did my OW and AOW in 1998 and rescue diver a number of years later when I got a good deal on the price (didn't see the reason for doing it before that). I've no interest in training divers so not bothered doing further PADI qual's.

Since arriving in Oz I've become a BSAC diver but everything I have done for diving has been pleasure not professional (prefer to earn money and spend it on diving than trying to live on the money paid working in diving)
I'm PADI OW, AOW & Nitrox user and would like to do my rescue diver. I understand not making it a living as i've heard it is not a high paying profession! My friend is a BSAC diver,he started doing PADI and then converted as he didn't want the responsibility of looking after people.

Happy Diving!!!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Hutch is your man for info on Life Saving. He'll probably be along at some point, or you could PM him.
Thats good to know, hopefully he'll see my message! if not i may send him a message.

Thank you