Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National Insurance voluntary contributions

National Insurance voluntary contributions

Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of
Default Re: National Insurance voluntary contributions

Originally Posted by Mazza12
I just called the DWP in Newcastle and spoke to an international case worker re the Class 2 or 3 Voluntary NICs. He said that in the past a person was required to, for example, stop working in the UK on the Friday and start work abroad on the Monday but he said this has been relaxed as they realise in most cases this is impractical. I specifically told him of my intention to stop work 10 days before leaving the UK and explained that I hadn't secured work in Oz yet. He said that once securing work in Oz I should complete form CF83and tick the Class 2 option and then they will decide but he couldn't see any reason why I wouldn't be allowed to pay Class 2 as long as I have work history in the UK. I asked, under what circumstance would I be required to pay Class 3 and he said that this is really for people who are not working.

PS you just want your telegram from the Queen

If the queen's still alive when I'm a hundred that will be a miracle I'd rather have one from William anyway.

That's so interesting about the NI rules. Fingers crossed when we get a reply it will be to say hubby can now pay class 2. I better not count my chickens though. Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mazza12
I just called the DWP in Newcastle and spoke to an international case worker re the Class 2 or 3 Voluntary NICs. He said that in the past a person was required to, for example, stop working in the UK on the Friday and start work abroad on the Monday but he said this has been relaxed as they realise in most cases this is impractical. I specifically told him of my intention to stop work 10 days before leaving the UK and explained that I hadn't secured work in Oz yet. He said that once securing work in Oz I should complete form CF83and tick the Class 2 option and then they will decide but he couldn't see any reason why I wouldn't be allowed to pay Class 2 as long as I have work history in the UK. I asked, under what circumstance would I be required to pay Class 3 and he said that this is really for people who are not working.

PS you just want your telegram from the Queen
I have been paying Class 2 for the last 5 years. I stopped work in the UK in the October and didn't start work in Aus until the following February.

I had never heard about this "rule" about working up until the week before until I read this thread!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
I have been paying Class 2 for the last 5 years. I stopped work in the UK in the October and didn't start work in Aus until the following February.

I had never heard about this "rule" about working up until the week before until I read this thread!
Good to know - thanks Bonnie!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bonnie65

I don't know whether to feel happy or frustrated! It's only four years since we were told hubby had to pay class 3.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread and prompted me to write to the international caseworker asking if hubby was eligible for class 2.

We got a letter yesterday to say he can now pay class 2 rather than class 3, yae!

I was working before I left the UK but since coming here I've been an Avon rep and cleaner, guess that makes me self employed. I'm paying class 3 so I'll write to them now and ask if I can pay class 2.

I also want to ask them when the rules changed and if we can get a refund backdated.

Does anyone know when the rules around having to work until the final week changed?

It is vague on the HMRC website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/abroad.htm#4 and still says you must be employed "immediately before you went abroad"

thanks

Last edited by carzinoz; Feb 9th 2012 at 8:02 pm. Reason: correcting mistake
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed at how many people voluntarily want to keep paying tax in the UK.

Why not put the money you are paying in NI into an Australian pension? or use it to buy silver and gold.

At least you will be guaranteed to get something when it's time to claim.

There will be no UK state pension for people living overseas and it will be means tested too.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'm amazed at how many people voluntarily want to keep paying tax in the UK.
I'm equally amazed that anyone would not think that the risk of getting nothing versus the potential return on what is less than $200 a year is not worthwhile....
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:27 am
Improving with age

cheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nice

Well done Carzinoz, your persistance paid off.

You may need to run a few figures on your own NI as to whether or not it is worth paying any more, because don't forget you will be eligible to a pension equal to 60% of your husbands even if you have made no NI contributions of your own.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Renth - why do your think there will be no UK state pension?

Cheshire cat - I didn't know that about the 60% of my hubby's pension, do you have a link I could look at? Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carzinoz
Renth - why do your think there will be no UK state pension?

Cheshire cat - I didn't know that about the 60% of my hubby's pension, do you have a link I could look at? Thanks
The country is bankrupt. The UK always ends up doing what the Aussies have been doing for years so will means test the state pension and won't pay it to people overseas. I guarantee it.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

I had imagined it was the other way around, that Oz would be working towards being like the UK. I had no idea they used to pay the pension regardless of means and then changed it to means tested and now the UK are trying to do the same.

You seem to be really well informed Renth, where do you get your info from?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:01 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by carzinoz
You seem to be really well informed Renth, where do you get your info from?
http://www.zerohedge.com
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:17 am
Improving with age

cheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nice

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...sion/DG_183784
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
Thanks Renth, I'm not sure I understood all of that but I did notice all the articles were posted by the same person (someone with the same name as the schizophrenic from fight club - brilliant). If it's not too much trouble do you have any other links so I can read some more to get a really balanced viewpoint? Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheshire-cat
Thanks Cheshire Cat, helpful as ever. This is news to me. Still worth paying class 2 if I get that option but not sure about continuing to pay class 3 if they say I have to do that. Think my head might explode LOL.