Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National Insurance voluntary contributions

National Insurance voluntary contributions

Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:13 am
Improving with age

cheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nice
Default Re: National Insurance voluntary contributions

Originally Posted by carzinoz
Can anyone tell me how having a UK pension affects the entitlement to the Oz pension?

I found I already had a forecast for the UK state pension and it warns on it that if I make voluntary contributions to my NI it could affect my Oz pension.

The Oz state pension is means tested, right? so if I get my £95 a week from the UK pension would that count as income and cause my Oz pension to be reduced?
from the centrelink website, you have to apply for your uk pension before you get your oz pension, then 40 cents will be deducted from the oz pension for every dollar you get from the uk
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheshire-cat
from the centrelink website, you have to apply for your uk pension before you get your oz pension, then 40 cents will be deducted from the oz pension for every dollar you get from the uk
Hiya,

Thanks, that confirms something I read on this website http://youle.info/bpia-blog/?page_id=11 which said for every $100 from the UK pension, your Oz pension will be reduced by $40, leaving you $60 better off.

I was trying to understand the thresholds for qualifying for the Oz pension. If I'm reading it right it looks like you'd have to be living on baked beans in a shed to qualify. Mabye I better concentrate on saving in to a super fund.

Would anyone care to comment on supers for the self employed and government co-contributions? I'm trying to get to grip with the various aspects of our finances and at the moment it's throwing up more questions than answers.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I was wrong then....I thought it was pound for pound

You will also have to pay australian tax on your UK pension so the amount you actually recieve will be much lower
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

So I'm moving to Oz in August having made NI contributions for 21 years. I hope to work in Oz for at least another 18 years. Given that I'll be taxed on my UK state pension when I reach retirement age while living in Oz, does anyone know how I can work out if it is worth continuing to make NI contributions in the UK? I know the easy option would be to get a financial advisor but trying to avoid this expense.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

You get a pension forecast for your existing contributions.
You work out how another 9 years of voluntary contributions will cost you.
YOU decide if it's worth it to get the full UK pension when you qualify.

All the links

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/portal.htm
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lesleys
You get a pension forecast for your existing contributions.
You work out how another 9 years of voluntary contributions will cost you.
YOU decide if it's worth it to get the full UK pension when you qualify.

All the links

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/portal.htm
Thanks so much for this lesleys
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

it's a gamble isn't it? Without having a crystal ball to see how long you'll live you can't know whether it's going to be worth it or not. There's a useful website here

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-...rement-planner

which gives you an idea of how far your Oz private and state pension is going to go.

We're in the same position...continue paying in to the UK state pension or use that money to buy more Oz private pension. I'd be interested to hear any conclusions you come to.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

it's a gamble isn't it? Without having a crystal ball to see how long you'll live you can't know whether it's going to be worth it or not. There's a useful website here

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-...rement-planner

which gives you an idea of how far your Oz private and state pension is going to go.

We're in the same position...continue paying in to the UK state pension or use that money to buy more Oz private pension. I'd be interested to hear any conclusions you come to.
Thanks Carzinoz, that link looks like it will be very useful I plan to request all the paperwork ie UK state pension forecast (based on 21/30ths) and then look at the difference based on an additional 9 years of NI contributions. Then weigh this up against using the money as you suggest to pay into a private pension fund in Oz. I'll request an occupational pension forecast (teacher and education adviser) and use my crystal ball to predict my Oz occupational pension (assuming I manage to secure a job and not knowing what that will be - just to complicate matters). Then work out whether to transfer my occupational pension to Oz within 6 months - again a bit of a gamble! I'll then work out what my Oz state pension is likely to be after living in Oz for 22 years (with at least 18 years of work) at retirement. Then I'll do some very big and complicated sums before reaching my conclusion. God my head hurts just thinking about it! I'll let you know.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Then work out whether to transfer my occupational pension to Oz within 6 months - again a bit of a gamble! I'll then work out what my Oz state pension is likely to be after living in Oz for 22 years (with at least 18 years of work) at retirement. Then I'll do some very big and complicated sums before reaching my conclusion. God my head hurts just thinking about it! I'll let you know.
Don't rush to transfer it! Make sure you want to stay in Oz first.

The Oz state pension is not automatic. It is means tested and if you have reasonable super and UK pensions you will be unlikely to get any.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Oz state pension is not automatic. It is means tested and if you have reasonable super and UK pensions you will be unlikely to get any.
I know that if I transfer my occupational pension to Oz and then decided to return to the UK that I would be unable to do so but I'm also worried about tax implications if I leave it in the UK and then decide to transfer it at a later date. I'm so ignorant about all of this and am trying to get up to speed with it all. I appreciate your help.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I know that if I transfer my occupational pension to Oz and then decided to return to the UK that I would be unable to do so but I'm also worried about tax implications if I leave it in the UK and then decide to transfer it at a later date. I'm so ignorant about all of this and am trying to get up to speed with it all. I appreciate your help.
Be very careful and get proper advice if you are thinking of transferring a final salary scheme.....you are usually better off leaving it where it is.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

That is such good advice! We're four years in Oz but I'm glad we kept our UK state contribs going, it keeps that option open in case you want to return.

Seems to me that you would need to be on a low income before the Oz state pension kicks in and it's better to plan to pay your own way because I think you are expected to "rearrange your affairs" to support yourself if you have income and assets above the qualifying limits. I'm taking that to mean you might have to sell a nice house and buy somewhere smaller and use the excess to generate income.

Have you stopped working in the UK yet? The reason I ask is because if you work up until the final week before leaving the UK you can apply to pay class 2 voluntary NI contribs, if you stop work more than a week beforehand you have to pay class 3 which is heaps more expensive than class 2. Wish we'd known that before we came!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

That is such good advice! We're four years in Oz but I'm glad we kept our UK state contribs going, it keeps that option open in case you want to return.

Seems to me that you would need to be on a low income before the Oz state pension kicks in and it's better to plan to pay your own way because I think you are expected to "rearrange your affairs" to support yourself if you have income and assets above the qualifying limits. I'm taking that to mean you might have to sell a nice house and buy somewhere smaller and use the excess to generate income.

Have you stopped working in the UK yet? The reason I ask is because if you work up until the final week before leaving the UK you can apply to pay class 2 voluntary NI contribs, if you stop work more than a week beforehand you have to pay class 3 which is heaps more expensive than class 2. Wish we'd known that before we came!
No I plan to stop work on August 10th and we fly out to Oz on August 20th, however if changing my finishing date to 13th would make a difference re class 2 or 3 I would do this. I plan to phone the helpline this week to ask about this. Having done some calculations, based on paying Class 3 contributions for 9 years, I worked out that I would be approx $18 per week better off (after Oz 40 cents in the $1 tax) when I retire at 66. I would have to live to 75 for this to have been worth it. Who knows??????
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

No I plan to stop work on August 10th and we fly out to Oz on August 20th, however if changing my finishing date to 13th would make a difference re class 2 or 3 I would do this. I plan to phone the helpline this week to ask about this. Having done some calculations, based on paying Class 3 contributions for 9 years, I worked out that I would be approx $18 per week better off (after Oz 40 cents in the $1 tax) when I retire at 66. I would have to live to 75 for this to have been worth it. Who knows??????
Definately check it out! Not working up till the last week was the reason they gave for my hubby not qualifying for class 2.

I wrote to them a couple of weeks ago to say he's now done almost four years continuous work in Oz so can he now pay class 2 instead of class 3, still waiting to find out.

PS: I'm planning on living till 100
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Definately check it out! Not working up till the last week was the reason they gave for my hubby not qualifying for class 2.

I wrote to them a couple of weeks ago to say he's now done almost four years continuous work in Oz so can he now pay class 2 instead of class 3, still waiting to find out.

PS: I'm planning on living till 100
I just called the DWP in Newcastle and spoke to an international case worker re the Class 2 or 3 Voluntary NICs. He said that in the past a person was required to, for example, stop working in the UK on the Friday and start work abroad on the Monday but he said this has been relaxed as they realise in most cases this is impractical. I specifically told him of my intention to stop work 10 days before leaving the UK and explained that I hadn't secured work in Oz yet. He said that once securing work in Oz I should complete form CF83and tick the Class 2 option and then they will decide but he couldn't see any reason why I wouldn't be allowed to pay Class 2 as long as I have work history in the UK. I asked, under what circumstance would I be required to pay Class 3 and he said that this is really for people who are not working.

PS you just want your telegram from the Queen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.