Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Myki - Melbourne

Myki - Melbourne

Old Feb 13th 2015, 10:47 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Myki - Melbourne

Originally Posted by GarryP
Frankly it's not beyond the wit of man to either make the Skybus a myki service (which would require a big price drop)
Not sure a price drop would be necessary. Sydney are Brisbane airport trains can be paid for with Opal and Go cards at significantly higher fares than other non airport stations in the same zone. Wouldn't it be a simple case of touch on the Skybus = flat fee?
Old Feb 13th 2015, 10:57 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not sure a price drop would be necessary. Sydney are Brisbane airport trains can be paid for with Opal and Go cards at significantly higher fares than other non airport stations in the same zone. Wouldn't it be a simple case of touch on the Skybus = flat fee?
It just becomes obvious that the skybus prices are a total rip off. If you could get to nearby on Myki for $3.76 even the slowest of passengers would recognise $18 as a con. Plus the myki cards they sell to visitors wouldn't actually cover the entire fare!

Oh, and forgot to mention. If there's more than one person to travel, it can be worth getting a chauffeur car - slightly more than the taxis, but much better service, eg http://www.melbournevha.com.au/

Last edited by GarryP; Feb 13th 2015 at 11:13 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 11:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This might help Aerohaveno: To Melbourne Airport the Cheap-Arse Way (2014 Update)

It is however much slower than the Skybus route, or indeed getting a car.

This might also help Melbourne Train Map

Frankly it's not beyond the wit of man to either make the Skybus a myki service (which would require a big price drop) or run a normal bus from the airport to a mainline station closer in. Like the reason for the failure to provide a train link - it looks like this is mainly due to corruption.

I'm looking at that route, slower but cheaper

Originally Posted by bcworld
Never thought I'd praise Go Card, but.... yep, you can do the airtrain on it, just touch on touch off and it works out the fare.
Plus you can top up go cards on stations, having just been sent to three different places at Flinders Street, none of whom could help cos their machines didn't work I then waited in the queue for 15 minutes - just to put $6 on
Old Feb 13th 2015, 11:36 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Plus you can top up go cards on stations, having just been sent to three different places at Flinders Street, none of whom could help cos their machines didn't work I then waited in the queue for 15 minutes - just to put $6 on
You should just be able to put money on it at the station machine - slap the card in, feed in the cash or card, job done. Myki is now $7.52 a day, so 3 days = $23 except sunday is capped at $6 so $21 should do it (leaving a negative number on the card !)
Old Feb 14th 2015, 12:08 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You should just be able to put money on it at the station machine - slap the card in, feed in the cash or card, job done. Myki is now $7.52 a day, so 3 days = $23 except sunday is capped at $6 so $21 should do it (leaving a negative number on the card !)
instead of which when I asked how to top it up the Info place sent me round all the newsagents!
Done now, it'll end up with a few cents left on it, thats all. Cheaper than Go Card anyhow, that charges per trip with no cap.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 12:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

instead of which when I asked how to top it up the Info place sent me round all the newsagents!
Done now, it'll end up with a few cents left on it, thats all. Cheaper than Go Card anyhow, that charges per trip with no cap.
Yeah, the myki system is still a 'orrible mess, as the support system.

One of the plus points for the visitor who is forced to buy one however is that you only need a positive credit on the card to touch on at the beginning of the trip. The trip itself can put the card into negative territory. So with careful crediting of money, you can leave Melbourne with negative money on the card, offsetting the $6 cost somewhat.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 5:36 am
Home and Happy

This might help Aerohaveno: To Melbourne Airport the Cheap-Arse Way (2014 Update)

It is however much slower than the Skybus route, or indeed getting a car.

This might also help Melbourne Train Map

Frankly it's not beyond the wit of man to either make the Skybus a myki service (which would require a big price drop) or run a normal bus from the airport to a mainline station closer in. Like the reason for the failure to provide a train link - it looks like this is mainly due to corruption.
Now on the train to dodgymeadows, I feel like I'm going ibto the Logan Badlands after all the warnings, but I've had a few ciders, I can cope!! And its free cos I did the city earlier and hit $6 If I am never heard of again I was kidnapped by the bloke eyeing my purple luggage as we went through Strathmore!!
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Now on the train to dodgymeadows, I feel like I'm going ibto the Logan Badlands after all the warnings, but I've had a few ciders, I can cope!! And its free cos I did the city earlier and hit $6 If I am never heard of again I was kidnapped by the bloke eyeing my purple luggage as we went through Strathmore!!
Just give off the vibe that you are from Brisbane - nobody hassles someone from Brisbane, you're never sure just how insane they are.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:56 am
Home and Happy

Just give off the vibe that you are from Brisbane - nobody hassles someone from Brisbane, you're never sure just how insane they are.
Totally loopy in my case!!
Whatever the vibe though, it worked. Got off the train at Broadmeadow and this young copper said, just stand back madam and wait 2 minutes...... 5 of them then legged it along the platform and cuffed three young guys before removing them in a van
i just waltzed out the front, bus pulled up, me and a bunch of Chinese- looking guys hauled all our luggage on board, 10 minutes later, all checked in. And free

Thanks to all of you, which we had a sneaky route like that in Brisbane
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally loopy in my case!!
Whatever the vibe though, it worked. Got off the train at Broadmeadow and this young copper said, just stand back madam and wait 2 minutes...... 5 of them then legged it along the platform and cuffed three young guys before removing them in a van
i just waltzed out the front, bus pulled up, me and a bunch of Chinese- looking guys hauled all our luggage on board, 10 minutes later, all checked in. And free

Thanks to all of you, which we had a sneaky route like that in Brisbane
We do polly:

From airport

1. Free regular shuttle bus from domestic and international airports to Skygate/DFO:
http://skygate.com.au/files/airportv...0Timetable.pdf

2. DFO to Toombul shoppingtown (to connect onwards) on the council bus route 590:
Route 590 | TransLink

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 16th 2015 at 2:13 am.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 5:23 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by fish.01
We do polly:

From airport

1. Free regular shuttle bus from domestic and international airports to Skygate/DFO:
http://skygate.com.au/files/airportv...0Timetable.pdf

2. DFO to Toombul shoppingtown (to connect onwards) on the council bus route 590:
Route 590 | TransLink
2 more buses for me to get to Toombul so not quite as smooth as the Melbourne one, even buses from the city to Toombul aren't as regluar as the Melbourne one, but it could work for some people.

Have to say though the thing that impresses me the most is the daily cap, especially at weekends. Thats the way to get people to use public transport
Old Feb 16th 2015, 7:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Have to say though the thing that impresses me the most is the daily cap, especially at weekends. Thats the way to get people to use public transport
The weekend rate used to be better - it went up significantly.

However the one rate for the entire network that they bought in in Jan is moving in the right direction, I just wish they sorted out the situation for visitors, and that they finally get it into Google.