Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by lostpom.com

2. Internet. Yes, that Internet Thingy is finally getting popular down here in Australia, though your choice of Aussie web sites and e-retailers is way, WAY behind what you will be used to back home. I actually read somewhere that they only launched ADSL services around 18 moths ago. Can you believe it! Whilst the rest of the western world has been happily embracing the new technology age for the last 6 years or so, Australia is just beginning the journey. I have been greatly disappointed at the breadth of stores and information to be found on the web in Aus. The very first thing I did in the UK when I want to buy something (regardless if it’s going to be an internet transaction or not), is I go online to check out reviews and typical product prices. Erm…not really is Australia. You will find web sites and stores at least 2-3 years behind the UK in terms of functionality and data. Some of them, I’m sure, are being designed by young children in technology sweatshops in India. And on the subject of shopping, what IS it with this idea that if you want to buy something in a shop, you have to go into a store and haggle them down to a reasonable price? Once the internet finally gets to be a popular purchasing medium here, and people get used to fixed, low, transparent online pricing, this tedious sales model will finally go out the window.

Excellent news for me as I plan to be working on my own internet shopping company using a British model ....

But to add, on a more serious note, you have identified several gaps in the market ... internet, TV, advertising, restaurants ... Australia is the place where everyone gets a 'fair go',,, If these things are a problem for you, use your British 'knowlege' and change it.
I see no point in getting so frustrated about such things if all you're going to do is accept them and moan.

Get off yer arse and do something about it.

Last edited by iPom; Mar 12th 2006 at 1:30 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

2. Internet. Yes, that Internet Thingy is finally getting popular down here in Australia, though your choice of Aussie web sites and e-retailers is way, WAY behind what you will be used to back home. I actually read somewhere that they only launched ADSL services around 18 moths ago. Can you believe it! Whilst the rest of the western world has been happily embracing the new technology age for the last 6 years or so, Australia is just beginning the journey. I have been greatly disappointed at the breadth of stores and information to be found on the web in Aus. The very first thing I did in the UK when I want to buy something (regardless if it’s going to be an internet transaction or not), is I go online to check out reviews and typical product prices. Erm…not really is Australia. You will find web sites and stores at least 2-3 years behind the UK in terms of functionality and data. Some of them, I’m sure, are being designed by young children in technology sweatshops in India. And on the subject of shopping, what IS it with this idea that if you want to buy something in a shop, you have to go into a store and haggle them down to a reasonable price? Once the internet finally gets to be a popular purchasing medium here, and people get used to fixed, low, transparent online pricing, this tedious sales model will finally go out the window.

I know for a fact that aussies have had broadband for at least the same time as us, they had it available to most homes over 4 years ago i do agree there online shops are crap but so what, get of ya butt and go shopping the old fashioned way. as for haggling it sounds fun to me, as long as you don't mind actualy talking to a real person and not through a computer........................
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Really had to chuckle at this post, especially the styleless bit. Given in most Brits are to be seen wearing tracksuit or football shirt, white trainers and baseball cap, let's not discuss style huh!

You also missed off your list of dislikes, the good BBQs with friends and family. You're no doubt missing the typical Friday/Saturday night out in the UK of going out to consume as much alcohol as possible before staggering around town, throwing up, fighting, being abusive, etc

Not sure, but you may have missed the laid back lifestyle as opposed to racing around like blue arsed flies, stressed to high hell with high pressure work 345 days of the year.

Ahh, missed holidays too. God those Aussies. What is wrong with them? Don;t they know they holidays are about going to Spain every year to "consume as much alcohol as possible before staggering around town, throwing up, fighting, being abusive, etc"

Last edited by ScottDavis; Mar 12th 2006 at 1:53 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:50 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Good lord, I do sound like a whingeing Pom, don’t I? Well, I’ll let you in on a little secret on my whingeing Pom theory. Whingeing Poms ARE a reality, and they exist in the majority of cases because UK people come over to Australia, and expect to have the same standard of living that they got used to back home. It’s too hot! – we moan, Its too expensive ! – we moan, I can’t find Lurpak in Wooly’s – we moan. We are, by nature a complaining nation, but you know what – I’d much sooner people complained about things to try and change or better them, rather than sitting back and saying ‘Its great here, isn’t it?’.
By better you mean....just like back home in the UK ?

Shame your experience isnt shared by some including me. Perhaps then I would feel better about putting down my new home country.

Australia is not perfect - far from it. But do try and enjoy life a bit between moans and whinges wont you. You'll be a long time dead
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

ok guys, dont even live i Oz (although i have my visa ) so i cant really comment, although i have lived overseas, in the USA for a good while, so i do kinda know what your on about ...

but let me put a spin on this.

My girlfriends dad came over to stay with us for 3 months, and he had some very similar points to make, i cant remember them all, but i will jot down the ones that i do remember. It was quite wierd he had never left Australia, and had some pretty interesting point

1. Why is everything so close to each other? why is there no space between towns? where is the big wide open spaces?

2. Why is the culture based around drinking, clubbing and nights out? why does everyone always have to drink, even at home?

3. Why are the roads so narrow, and in such a bad state? why does none of it make sense?

4. Why is petrol so expensive? ... dont get me started on this one ...

and the last point, which i thought was quite ironic to this thread "Poms whinge all the time ... even in their own country!! "

but its horses for courses
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

S

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes!
Oh, and did I mention the whopping 47% tax band that comes in at only $70kpa?
Kinda like the 40% tax plus 11% (ish) NI in the UK????????
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:07 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
BRING IT ALL ON. I can't wait to get over there it sounds wonderful. An Aussie New Years eve sounds like heaven in an empty pub with 3 people and some bloke willing to entertain us. I just hope the three other people weren't smoking because I would have to move tables and that would piss me off. I haven't gone out for years in england on New Years eve because all the pubs where I live charge you to get in and they are packed full of people, it takes an hour to get served thats if you can squeeze your way to the bar avoiding getting burnt with cigarettes and beer being spilt all over you, there is never any toilet paper after 8pm. Every dick head and its dog wants to kiss you and be your friend after 12pm and then there's the punch ups, people being sick and the toilet floor covered in piss, so don't wear expensive shoes or trousers that touch the floor. Yes all in all you must be missing this. Oh and believe me I live in a very nice area, but between 20th of December and 1st Jan I wouldn't go in a pub to be entertained.

Got to agree with you on this one! I spent my best NYE ever this year in Oz! A group of friends round to our place, dancing, BBQ and a dip in the pool at midnight! Perfect! No problems getting a baby sitter, no strangers trying to grope, no fighting and no running out of loo roll! But maybe I was sick but that was OK cos it was my home! I love the way of life over here, I would much rather sit in mine or someone elses home, chatting, eating and maybe having a boogie, than sitting in a pub. It is taking hubby a little longer to get used to it, but he's getting there!

Tracey
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy

and the last point, which i thought was quite ironic to this thread "Poms whinge all the time ... even in their own country!! "

but its horses for courses

Whinging is a National sport in the UK. We do it because (I think) we don't get enough Vitamin D. Vitamin D, or the sunshine drug as it's more commonly known, makes you feel happy. Remember how we all wake up bright and early on a sunny Summer morning?

Then for the next 8 months of the year, there isn't enough sun for us to synthesise our own Vitamin D and if we don't drink copious amounts of milk or other Vitamin D products, we end up living with low level depression for most of the year.
We don't know what it is to feel good all the time... we just accept the way we feel as normal.

Want to fix this? Go and get a good dose of Vitamin D from a health food store and see what an astonishing difference it makes to you.

Anyway, as well as being a bit down, we stay inside for a lot of the year, because outside, like today at 1 degree, grey and sleeting, isn't too appealling. Whilst we're inside we have to occupy ourselves somehow.

'Gosh, isn't it cold today?'
'Not as bad as last week thoug.'
'Oh yes, remember the snow in '84? That were bad.'
'gosh yes, I rememeber that ...... '

And so on.

We don't want to do the blindingly obvious and ask each other how we're feeling, because not having Vitamin D, we'll just bring everyone else down.

The weather is the safest option.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Got to agree with you on this one! I spent my best NYE ever this year in Oz! A group of friends round to our place, dancing, BBQ and a dip in the pool at midnight! Perfect! No problems getting a baby sitter, no strangers trying to grope, no fighting and no running out of loo roll! But maybe I was sick but that was OK cos it was my home! I love the way of life over here, I would much rather sit in mine or someone elses home, chatting, eating and maybe having a boogie, than sitting in a pub. It is taking hubby a little longer to get used to it, but he's getting there!

Tracey

We haven't been out on New Years Eve for 6 years, who wants to spend £2.50 - £3 a pint and be packed in a pub like a bunch of sardines.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
You're no doubt missing the typical Friday/Saturday night out in the UK of going out to consume as much alcohol as possible before staggering around town, throwing up, fighting, being abusive, etc
They don't do that in Australia do they?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...9-1242,00.html

G
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:18 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
run by a load of semi-retired middle class busy bodies, whose sole reason for living seems to be to try and change this otherwise honest little working town into some bourgeois enclave with lovely little cafes, lovely little clothes shops and a lovely little farmers market.
We have em here too, please please tell me they dont exist in Oz?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
They don't do that in Australia do they?
It's happened in every country I've lived, but nowhere near to the extent of the UK.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:44 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickle
if you don't like it you know what to do.................................bugga off back to britain. easy solution eh.
australia is not britian so get used to it and shut ya moaning or leave the place.
Beat me to it mate
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:48 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

There is a joke told in Australia...

Q How do you know when a plane load of POMS has landed????

A The whining continues after the engines have stopped!

Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:49 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Really had to chuckle at this post, especially the styleless bit. Given in most Brits are to be seen wearing tracksuit or football shirt, white trainers and baseball cap, let's not discuss style huh!

You also missed off your list of dislikes, the good BBQs with friends and family. You're no doubt missing the typical Friday/Saturday night out in the UK of going out to consume as much alcohol as possible before staggering around town, throwing up, fighting, being abusive, etc

Not sure, but you may have missed the laid back lifestyle as opposed to racing around like blue arsed flies, stressed to high hell with high pressure work 345 days of the year.

Ahh, missed holidays too. God those Aussies. What is wrong with them? Don;t they know they holidays are about going to Spain every year to "consume as much alcohol as possible before staggering around town, throwing up, fighting, being abusive, etc"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.