Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My thoughts on our First Three Months in Oz

My thoughts on our First Three Months in Oz

Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:48 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on our First Three Months in Oz

[QUOTE=Kevhaze]Get ready for a long read!

These are my personal thoughts and feelings on our move to Australia.

THANKYOU!!!!! What a lovely post. Tears in my eyes as I read it.

Lou
Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:56 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

A good honest post ...thank you

I hope you continue to be happy and live your dream xx
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
Get ready for a long read!

Having never traveled any further south than France and never managed to get to Scotland, it was quite a shock to everyone who knew me that I would want to move to Australia! I had only ever been on a plane once and that was only in the last few years. However, we felt that if we didn’t do it now, we would never have the chance in the future and our kids were both keen on going. We started the visa process in June 2004. Our daughter (Zoe) had been offered a free holiday with her friend to Arizona during the October half-term and we decided, with her permission, for myself, my husband (Kev) and our son (Adam) to visit Australia and do a reccie on Bendigo (Victoria). So at the end of October we did the long-haul flight to Melbourne and did a whistle-stop tour of Bendigo in 8 days! After such a long flight and the drive north to Bendigo, I must admit I did think, ‘I don’t like it, how am I going to get out of this one?’ But this was because I was so tired, and after a couple of days, I began to like Bendigo. We looked round new houses and just got a feel for the area, we liked the town, which was so clean, plenty of places to park and little traffic.

So our decision was made and we got our visas in April 2005, house got put on the market, sold and we flew out in December. All through the visa-waiting process, I did have times when I thought, ‘is it going to be worth it, leaving family and friends, leaving a lifetime of familiar places, just for more sun, a bigger house?’ I know that Kev was also worried because a lot of responsibility fell on him to get a job as a mechanic (because we are STNI). At times when I felt myself panicking, I would have a scan on BE and look for anyone who had posted their views on ‘the move’. I must say though, we were lucky in that friends and family were all behind us, there was only one person who poo-pooed our decision and could not understand why we would want to rip our family away from everything that they knew. I suppose that in a way it made us more determined to make a go of it.

We had the leaving party, and it was a great night, but I personally didn’t feel upset; maybe because the party was a couple of weeks before we left and that I went back to work on the Monday. Even though I did a lot of the organizing, i.e. shipper, buying the flight tickets, it still didn’t seem real somehow. Maybe because it was never my life-long dream to ever move from England, I don’t know.

I was bought up in Reading, but had moved away from my family to Swindon about 18 years ago. There was never any family rift, it was just that we couldn’t afford to buy a house in Reading and it was cheaper in Swindon. I love all of my family and Kev gets on very well with everyone, although we were only 45 minutes down the motorway, my family rarely visited us. Which, at the end of the day, worked well, because there was never the opportunity of anyone just popping in for a coffee, so I can’t say that I miss it! Also Kev’s family have all lived abroad within the last ten years and he has not seen his parents for the last three years. In fact, we probably have more contact with family now that we are here than we ever did when we were in the UK.

So, we arrived here on 7 December and stayed at the same holiday apartment that we had in 2004. We had remained friends with the owners, so it was nice to go back and see people we knew. Before we arrived here we had been on British Expats and had been in contact with Hels who phoned us the first day we arrived! We met her and Paul a couple of days later and they have been a great help, thanks Hels & Paul! Zoe had also been in contact with an Ozzie girl and within the first couple of weeks they had met up. We stayed at the apartment for two weeks and in that time we had bought a car, a motorbike, enrolled both kids at school and sorted out a rented house.

There were times when I thought of all the stuff that we had to do and it was easy to get into a panic about it all. But you have to do everything in moderation, don’t try and do everything at once. We had to prioritise everything. Luckily for us, because Christmas was fast approaching there seemed little point in trying to get a job – also we wanted to get into the rental property before looking for work. The property was unfurnished, so that was another job, getting furniture and bits and pieces. Which takes a surprisingly long time.

When we were ready to look for work, Kev found one within a couple of weeks. He is a mechanic and just wandered around the garages and left them with a CV. Unfortunately all the places where he wanted to work didn’t have any vacancies, but he did get employment elsewhere and has been at this garage for four weeks. He’s settled in really well with his colleagues.

I, on the other hand, have found it quite difficult to get office work. I have applied for loads of jobs and been for a couple of interviews; but haven’t got any further than that. The agencies don’t work the same as in the UK, you have to keep reminding them that you are looking for work. I decided that maybe it would be easier to do temp work, but there doesn’t seem to be much about. However, I did have a call from one agency who said they had just taken on a temp job and I started working there the following day. I have now been there two weeks and I think they may want me to stay on a bit longer. At least if nothing comes of it, I will have a referee in Australia.

I didn’t come out here with rose-tinted glasses, I had my concerns about whether we were doing the right thing and my main worry was, what if Zoe doesn’t like it here and in a couple of years she wants to go back to the UK, how would I feel that our small family unit would be torn apart. Obviously, I don’t know if that will still happen, but for the time being I don’t think about it much.

I have yet to find out if the cost of living is more or less than the UK, not having a permanent job yet it is difficult to say. I think that we spend the same amount on everyday food items as in the UK, and we haven’t had many bills in yet to compare on that score.

There are some things that are difficult to swallow, like having to pay for school books; having to pay for doctor’s consultations. But we knew that before we came out here.

I know Zoe misses all her friends in the UK. She has made loads of friends here, (even nabbing herself a boyfriend within a couple of weeks of being here) but it is early days for these new friendships to blossom. Adam has settled in remarkably well.

So after three months of living here, I can honestly say that I don’t miss the UK, don’t get me wrong, I loved living there but I got to the point where I wanted to try something new. I also had this vision of our kids still living with us when they are in their thirties because they wouldn’t be able to afford a place of their own and I would much rather live together here than cramped into our little house in the UK.

I don’t miss family or friends as much as I thought I would (I know I should), but because we text, email and chat to each other regularly on Skype it seems enough for me. I don’t feel like a foreigner here, I like it when people pick up on my accent, because they are so interested in why you are here. For the first couple of months, everyone said ‘Welcome to Australia’ and really meant it. Everyone are so friendly here and helpful. People have time to talk to you and they are all really proud of being Australian.

The weather has been absolutely fantastic, I personally think it boosts your outlook on life. We have a lovely house which gives us all our own personal space, which we would never have been able to afford in the UK. I’m glad that we made the decision and took the plunge to come here.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope this might help any of you that have the usual doubts, as I did, about moving to Australia.

Hazel
Thanks for posting your experiences Hazel, it seems like you have settled nicely! Its a nice change to read about the positives living in Oz. Good luck with the adventure!!! Jox
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great post. Thank you for taking the time to write it.
You give those of us who are about to embark on this adventure real hope for the future.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

Having never traveled any further south than France and never managed to get to Scotland, it was quite a shock to everyone who knew me that I would want to move to Australia! I had only ever been on a plane once and that was only in the last few years. However, we felt that if we didn’t do it now, we would never have the chance in the future and our kids were both keen on going. We started the visa process in June 2004. Our daughter (Zoe) had been offered a free holiday with her friend to Arizona during the October half-term and we decided, with her permission, for myself, my husband (Kev) and our son (Adam) to visit Australia and do a reccie on Bendigo (Victoria). So at the end of October we did the long-haul flight to Melbourne and did a whistle-stop tour of Bendigo in 8 days! After such a long flight and the drive north to Bendigo, I must admit I did think, ‘I don’t like it, how am I going to get out of this one?’ But this was because I was so tired, and after a couple of days, I began to like Bendigo. We looked round new houses and just got a feel for the area, we liked the town, which was so clean, plenty of places to park and little traffic.

So our decision was made and we got our visas in April 2005, house got put on the market, sold and we flew out in December. All through the visa-waiting process, I did have times when I thought, ‘is it going to be worth it, leaving family and friends, leaving a lifetime of familiar places, just for more sun, a bigger house?’ I know that Kev was also worried because a lot of responsibility fell on him to get a job as a mechanic (because we are STNI). At times when I felt myself panicking, I would have a scan on BE and look for anyone who had posted their views on ‘the move’. I must say though, we were lucky in that friends and family were all behind us, there was only one person who poo-pooed our decision and could not understand why we would want to rip our family away from everything that they knew. I suppose that in a way it made us more determined to make a go of it.

We had the leaving party, and it was a great night, but I personally didn’t feel upset; maybe because the party was a couple of weeks before we left and that I went back to work on the Monday. Even though I did a lot of the organizing, i.e. shipper, buying the flight tickets, it still didn’t seem real somehow. Maybe because it was never my life-long dream to ever move from England, I don’t know.

I was bought up in Reading, but had moved away from my family to Swindon about 18 years ago. There was never any family rift, it was just that we couldn’t afford to buy a house in Reading and it was cheaper in Swindon. I love all of my family and Kev gets on very well with everyone, although we were only 45 minutes down the motorway, my family rarely visited us. Which, at the end of the day, worked well, because there was never the opportunity of anyone just popping in for a coffee, so I can’t say that I miss it! Also Kev’s family have all lived abroad within the last ten years and he has not seen his parents for the last three years. In fact, we probably have more contact with family now that we are here than we ever did when we were in the UK.

So, we arrived here on 7 December and stayed at the same holiday apartment that we had in 2004. We had remained friends with the owners, so it was nice to go back and see people we knew. Before we arrived here we had been on British Expats and had been in contact with Hels who phoned us the first day we arrived! We met her and Paul a couple of days later and they have been a great help, thanks Hels & Paul! Zoe had also been in contact with an Ozzie girl and within the first couple of weeks they had met up. We stayed at the apartment for two weeks and in that time we had bought a car, a motorbike, enrolled both kids at school and sorted out a rented house.

There were times when I thought of all the stuff that we had to do and it was easy to get into a panic about it all. But you have to do everything in moderation, don’t try and do everything at once. We had to prioritise everything. Luckily for us, because Christmas was fast approaching there seemed little point in trying to get a job – also we wanted to get into the rental property before looking for work. The property was unfurnished, so that was another job, getting furniture and bits and pieces. Which takes a surprisingly long time.

When we were ready to look for work, Kev found one within a couple of weeks. He is a mechanic and just wandered around the garages and left them with a CV. Unfortunately all the places where he wanted to work didn’t have any vacancies, but he did get employment elsewhere and has been at this garage for four weeks. He’s settled in really well with his colleagues.

I, on the other hand, have found it quite difficult to get office work. I have applied for loads of jobs and been for a couple of interviews; but haven’t got any further than that. The agencies don’t work the same as in the UK, you have to keep reminding them that you are looking for work. I decided that maybe it would be easier to do temp work, but there doesn’t seem to be much about. However, I did have a call from one agency who said they had just taken on a temp job and I started working there the following day. I have now been there two weeks and I think they may want me to stay on a bit longer. At least if nothing comes of it, I will have a referee in Australia.

I didn’t come out here with rose-tinted glasses, I had my concerns about whether we were doing the right thing and my main worry was, what if Zoe doesn’t like it here and in a couple of years she wants to go back to the UK, how would I feel that our small family unit would be torn apart. Obviously, I don’t know if that will still happen, but for the time being I don’t think about it much.

I have yet to find out if the cost of living is more or less than the UK, not having a permanent job yet it is difficult to say. I think that we spend the same amount on everyday food items as in the UK, and we haven’t had many bills in yet to compare on that score.

There are some things that are difficult to swallow, like having to pay for school books; having to pay for doctor’s consultations. But we knew that before we came out here.

I know Zoe misses all her friends in the UK. She has made loads of friends here, (even nabbing herself a boyfriend within a couple of weeks of being here) but it is early days for these new friendships to blossom. Adam has settled in remarkably well.

So after three months of living here, I can honestly say that I don’t miss the UK, don’t get me wrong, I loved living there but I got to the point where I wanted to try something new. I also had this vision of our kids still living with us when they are in their thirties because they wouldn’t be able to afford a place of their own and I would much rather live together here than cramped into our little house in the UK.

I don’t miss family or friends as much as I thought I would (I know I should), but because we text, email and chat to each other regularly on Skype it seems enough for me. I don’t feel like a foreigner here, I like it when people pick up on my accent, because they are so interested in why you are here. For the first couple of months, everyone said ‘Welcome to Australia’ and really meant it. Everyone are so friendly here and helpful. People have time to talk to you and they are all really proud of being Australian.

The weather has been absolutely fantastic, I personally think it boosts your outlook on life. We have a lovely house which gives us all our own personal space, which we would never have been able to afford in the UK. I’m glad that we made the decision and took the plunge to come here.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope this might help any of you that have the usual doubts, as I did, about moving to Australia.

Hazel

Great Post!Have sent you some k
Keep em coming
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:02 pm
Living the dream

kars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant future
Smile Re: My thoughts on our First Three Months in Oz

Thanks Hazel, we're hopefully setting off for Victoria in September if the house sells in time. Nice to hear from somone who has settle so well.

Originally Posted by MJELNC
Great Post!Have sent you some k
Keep em coming
Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:07 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Post
Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: My thoughts on our First Three Months in Oz

Hazel
Terrific post, sounds like you have a great attitude - realistic, but optimistic.

Congratulations on your new life; I hope it only gets better.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post and like many people before me have said "its good to hear something positive for a change" Hope you keep us all up to date with the adventure and carry on enjoying it.
Lynne
Old Mar 14th 2006, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Terrific post. I'm sure your life will be a success, whatever you do and wherever you are. You have such a great attitude towards your new situation. Best of luck to you and yours.
Tracey
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

Wow, what a great response! Thanks everyone for your comments.

I had been meaning to sit down and write for ages - should really have done it before I got myself this temporary full-time job!

Anyway, best of luck to all of you still in the UK waiting for your new life to begin.

Love Hazel
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Hazel
Great post
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future

what a fab post it has made me feel alot better about my move to oz on the 24th April I just can't wait now

enjoy the rest of your life in oz

Anitab
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:26 am
Account Closed

icequeen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Hazel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post! It really means a lot for me!
I must admit that I had teary eyes while I was reading it.
From time to time I'm also having one of those panic days and reading your post helps a lot!
I am very glad that you've settled well and wishing you and your family all the best.

Hubby and I are still on the beginning of the visa process and I guess there will be much more stressy and panic moments.
But we decided to go for it and won't give up no matter what!
Thank you again and good luck!

cheers,
Marina and Kees
The Netherlands