Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

Originally Posted by elmtree
Bloody hell, that's cheap ! What's that about £15K ? About the same as a Terracan.

One of my colleagues bought one in the summer to tow the caravan. Can't remember how much they paid but it was a lot more than that. In fact, the Sorrento was voted best tower by the caravan club or something like that.
The guy who owns ARB (4wd accessory shop) in Perth drives one. He uses it for serious offroading & says it's awesome on the dirt & he knows what he's talking about. He's fitted a lot of 3rd party kit to it but shows you the pedigree is good.

I rate it & the diesel is going to be better.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:10 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Do they do the Hyundai Terracan in a 7-seater, then ??
They are on run-out. Last ones in Aus now so you might get a good deal on one now. The diesel ones (and one of the petrol, can't remember off-hand if it's manual or auto) don't meet the new emmissions standard for Jan 07 so all diesels are now complianced '06. Use that to get a deal as well. Of course, this is only if you have absolutely no pride and don't mind driving one of them. I'll stick with my Pathfinder. The diesel outperforms teh Prado Diesel hands down. Had 3 Terrano in the UK and had absolutely no problems with them, and so far I can say the same about the Pathfinder. I'd have liked a Series 3 Disco, but at $40k more than the Nissan it was just a step too far
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
They are on run-out. Last ones in Aus now so you might get a good deal on one now. The diesel ones (and one of the petrol, can't remember off-hand if it's manual or auto) don't meet the new emmissions standard for Jan 07 so all diesels are now complianced '06. Use that to get a deal as well. Of course, this is only if you have absolutely no pride and don't mind driving one of them. I'll stick with my Pathfinder. The diesel outperforms teh Prado Diesel hands down. Had 3 Terrano in the UK and had absolutely no problems with them, and so far I can say the same about the Pathfinder. I'd have liked a Series 3 Disco, but at $40k more than the Nissan it was just a step too far

The Discos are supposed to be great, but Land Rovers haven't had a great reputation for reliability of late, have they ?

I fancy a Pathfinder, too. What model have you got ?
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

The Discos are supposed to be great, but Land Rovers haven't had a great reputation for reliability of late, have they ?

Just seen an interior shot of the Pathfinder Ti and it's got decent luggage space even with the seven seats up:

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news_.../nissan/1.html
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:26 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

The Aussies complain a lot about Discos, but I think a lot of it is just because they are brainwashed into thinking Patrols and Landcruisers are the best things ever. I went mid-range on the Pathfinder ST-L. The Ti had some more toys but only came in leather and auto box. No way I ever fancy leather in a Qld summer Problem with a lot of the the 'soft-roaders' is that they don't have a true low range 'box. They just lock the 4wd system in 4wd. If you want to go off-road properly, I'd avoid these.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Aussies complain a lot about Discos, but I think a lot of it is just because they are brainwashed into thinking Patrols and Landcruisers are the best things ever. I went mid-range on the Pathfinder ST-L. The Ti had some more toys but only came in leather and auto box. No way I ever fancy leather in a Qld summer Problem with a lot of the the 'soft-roaders' is that they don't have a true low range 'box. They just lock the 4wd system in 4wd. If you want to go off-road properly, I'd avoid these.

Is the Ti a soft-roader then ?

Must admit, I don't fancy an auto for some reason.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:38 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Most embarrassingly for LR they've had 2 high profile failures with test vehicles for the press... One when it was in a 4x4 of the year test going up the Cape... Both ECU failures I believe...

Personally I really like them, but my LandCruiser is just a much safer bet...
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rodders39
Most embarrassingly for LR they've had 2 high profile failures with test vehicles for the press... One when it was in a 4x4 of the year test going up the Cape... Both ECU failures I believe...

Personally I really like them, but my LandCruiser is just a much safer bet...

Rodders,

Your previous recommendation of the Landcruiser is still fresh in my mind.

I definitely want a 7-seater, whatever I get. I've even looked the Galaxy, S-Max, Grand Voyager, etc, but think a 4x4 would be more practical as we'll most certainly be going off-road and probably towing.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:55 pm
Banned

Is the Ti a soft-roader then ?
No - it's the top spec Pathfinder
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

No - it's the top spec Pathfinder

Thought so.

Bet they're thirsty, eh ?
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:49 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Rodders,

I definitely want a 7-seater, whatever I get. I've even looked the Galaxy, S-Max, Grand Voyager, etc, but think a 4x4 would be more practical as we'll most certainly be going off-road and probably towing.
We are the same and we are looking at the Pajero and the Prado.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird

Have you test-driven either ?

Much of a price difference ?
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:02 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Rodders,

If you're going to do either a good amount of towing or planning on seeing some of the more remote parts of the country then don't go for a petrol, got to be diesel...

If not then the petrol's are definitely worth considering, the juice is much less and the ARB guy that services my 'Cruiser says its cheaper to maintain the petrols...
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:10 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by northernbird
Pajero is newly released model with significant improvements in engine and transmission including I believe a rear diff lock for the first time...

Prado diesel engine is not very good and well behind competitors at the moment. Due to be replaced by the diesel engine in the Hilux next year... According to the Saturday Herald about 3/4 weeks ago you can get almost $10k off a top of the range Prado Grande 4.0 at the moment... Even a quick look at Discount New Cars gets you $6k off to start with...
Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a Chrysler Grand Voyager in the end and I LOVE it. If baby number 3 wasn't on its way then we would have gone for a 4x4. But, there's no way I could have 3 children on one back seat! Then of course I will need plenty of boot space.

All 5 rear seats have anchor points, there's a reverse sensor, DVD with 5 infrared headphones (a gimmick by my goodness worth it!) and all five seats go into the floor making it totally flat.

It's thirsty but then it would be!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.