Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:00 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Suzuki don't admit to the existence of the XL-7 on their website, nor do Holden admit to the existence of the Zafira.

Buzzy
I think this is because when they brought out the new look vitara (around 6 months ago) they didn't bring out an XL7 version.

I havent looked at your spradsheet but have you got the new Hyundai Santa Fe in there, it looks great wish i could afford one!

Lynn
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We've just spent $84k on the top-of-the-range Chrysler Grand Voyager, and very nice it is too! We looked round at the others, and were originally thinking of going for the cheap and cheerful Kia Carnival, but were rather worried by its poor safety ratings and engine blow-outs after about 40,000 kilometres. We tossed up between buying two Carnivals between now and when the kids all leave home, or forking out the money now and buying something much superior that will last. The electric self-shutting doors turns a few heads at school, that's for sure. The interior dashboard has so many lights at night it looks like an aircraft cockpit. The kids love the DVD system and there is plenty of boot space, even with all seats up. The leather seats are very comfy, and the front seats are heated. The cooling-heating system is automatic, you choose your temperature and the car adjusts it itself.

We had a Citroen Synergie people carrier in the UK and our biggest gripe was heavy to remove seats and then not having them in the car if someone needed a lift. That was a diesel, good for fuel economy, but not the case here as diesel is more expensive.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

OK I have updated the spreadsheet to include the Ford Territory.

Suzuki don't admit to the existence of the XL-7 on their website, nor do Holden admit to the existence of the Zafira.

The Kia carnival and Grand carnival seem to be counted as 1 model on Kia's site.

Here is the new spreadsheet in jpg form -

Cheers

Buzzy
Maybe they have stopped making the Zafira now as it was 12 months old when we bought it. I like it a lot as it as I felt some of the other people carriers were too large for me. However it definitely exists, and my Zafira was originally registered as one of Holden's company cars.

Last edited by kt.2006; Jun 2nd 2006 at 12:54 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 3:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqui
That was a diesel, good for fuel economy, but not the case here as diesel is more expensive.
The new Bio-diesel being sold by Gull petrol stations in WA costs only slightly more than unleaded & in parts of Perth is the same price.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Any new thoughts on this thread?

We have number 3 child arriving early next year so the Mazda 6 simply won't suffice

So far we have test driven:

Mitsubuishi Pajero - liked it
Landrover Discovery 3 - loved it - very smooth and genuine 7 seater in that the 2 rear seats have actual foot wells. But, very expensive on servicing and parts here in WA. I think it also has anchorage points on the rear seats for child seats
Toyota Prado - very sluggish but it was a diesel
Jeep Commander - felt like an armoured vehicle, lovely and safe

Not sure whether or not to try any of the people carriers?? Any advice on these? We will need at least 3 anchorage points for car seats - do the PC's have these on rear seats?

Have not heard anything good safety wise on Kias, Fords, Holdens.........and my husband won't even look at them anyway
Old Nov 16th 2006, 1:17 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

I am going to test drive the Nissan Pathfinder, Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia 7 Grand Carnival while I am in Oz.

My 2 cents.

Buzzy
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:48 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Maybe they have stopped making the Zafira now as it was 12 months old when we bought it. I like it a lot as it as I felt some of the other people carriers were too large for me. However it definitely exists, and my Zafira was originally registered as one of Holden's company cars.
I love our Zafira in the UK. I was hoping to get one in Oz. Only billy no-mates until the UK summer hols start! My hubby wanted to ship ours out, but as we may only be over for 2 years, I didn't think it was worth it -
Was your Zafira hard to find, and dare I ask how expensive it was???
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:56 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, brilliant thanks for the info!!

We love the Toyota Prado, and think that is what we will go for, but having just lost £4000 on our Toyota Rav 4 in 2 years we are going for one a couple of years old!!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:15 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

May I share with everyone some research I have been doing comparing 7 seater vehicles available in Australia?

We will be looking to buy a 7 seater when we get to Oz, we are already finding here in the UK that the Jag won't cope when Grandad wants to come with us and he has to follow us in his car - so it seems 7 seats is the way to go.

There are several options, both in 4x4 and people mover types, so I've put together a wee spreadsheet of my research. Apologies if there are any inaccuracies.

For the techies - this was a .xls but I had to upload it as a .jpg due to BE file extension restrictions.

Hopefully someone will find this useful.

Cheers

Buzzy
I think I love you

We've got a people carrier now (3 kids all heading for well over 6foot).. and I was concerned at the price we were going to have to pay for something appropriate. That's really reassured me - thank you

Lynne
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:17 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
You missed out the Kia Grand Carnival - a much larger version of the Kia Carnival - heaps of boot space even with all the seats up!

That was the one which caught our eye after checking on the Kia website - how do you find it runs?

Lynne
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear 4x4, it was brilliant. 4 wheel drive 2.8L turbo diesel engine (same as Pajero).
The rear seats went up if you did not need them, I had the super exceed with crystalite roof and 2 middle seats that turned round to face the rear (if you wanted) which was ideal for parking up and having a chat and a brew.
Good off road as well, but we only really used it on the beach.

Here's a picture of it if you don't know what one is !

Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:13 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I think this is because when they brought out the new look vitara (around 6 months ago) they didn't bring out an XL7 version.

I havent looked at your spradsheet but have you got the new Hyundai Santa Fe in there, it looks great wish i could afford one!

Lynn
The new diesel Sant Fe is ok (if you like Hyundai that is) but you can't get the leather spec hi-line in 7 seats
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:14 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Any new thoughts on this thread?

We have number 3 child arriving early next year so the Mazda 6 simply won't suffice

So far we have test driven:

Mitsubuishi Pajero - liked it
Landrover Discovery 3 - loved it - very smooth and genuine 7 seater in that the 2 rear seats have actual foot wells. But, very expensive on servicing and parts here in WA. I think it also has anchorage points on the rear seats for child seats
Toyota Prado - very sluggish but it was a diesel
Jeep Commander - felt like an armoured vehicle, lovely and safe

Not sure whether or not to try any of the people carriers?? Any advice on these? We will need at least 3 anchorage points for car seats - do the PC's have these on rear seats?

Have not heard anything good safety wise on Kias, Fords, Holdens.........and my husband won't even look at them anyway
We spent weeks test driving loads of 4 x 4 7/8 seaters. It was a close call between the Ford territory Ghia and the Prado in the end we went for the Prado VX (8 seater) and we absolutely love it. Ours is a petrol so it is not sluggish at all. The only problem is the cream interior, with two boys aged 3 and 10 I am like a Prado Nazi every time we get in the car.

Last edited by ACE; Nov 16th 2006 at 10:18 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:02 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I have to ask about leather seats in Australia. Wouldn't they get awfully hot in the sun?

I would love leather seats as we have two small kids, but I just worry it would be scorching hot everytime we got in the car.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
That was the one which caught our eye after checking on the Kia website - how do you find it runs?

Lynne
We bought a Kia Carnival when we came 2 years ago.
And we are thinking of upgrading to Kia Grande.
Its a beautiful car, runs well, has never let us down. And very spacious.
One of our best buys over here. 10/10
Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.