Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:32 pm   #31
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,087
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
That's good to hear, you're right, WA is usually the dearest for most things!

Looks like my tariff on Merseyside is around the same, I switched from British Gas to Sainsbury Energy a few months ago, saving heaps. Love how you can compare and switch so easily here. Not sure about how my standing charge compares with Western Power's fixed charges.

Unit rate
13.19p per kWh
Standing charge
33.60p per day
The WA Government have just increased the supply charge from 1st July. It has increased from 48c per day to 86c per day.
__________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
northernbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th 2017, 11:24 pm   #32
Moreland Member
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,866
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

I'm not sure why Arkon is paying 57c per KWH as the small business prices for NSW are at least 60 pct cheaper than that through AGL. That's without things like 30 pct discounts.

https://www.agl.com.au/-/media/AGLDa...GL367040MS.pdf





Unless he is on a solar tariff of course, where the proof of the pudding is on how much electricity you produce yourself, or the bill at the end of the 3 months averaged out across 12 months. IE: you shouldn't be running on Solar unless you know you can produce at least 90pct of your own electricity needs.





As for supply charges, they are immaterial in all of this, in fact, if you are a large electricity user (say 25KWH) the first clue to very cheap electricity rates, are the highest supply charges. In other words, high supply charges really only affect those using less than 10kwh per day.
__________________
http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/h/3/p/y/7/image.gallery.galleryLandscape.620x414.gh3mu3.png/1431853071627.jpg
ozzieeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th 2017, 7:19 am   #33
Addicted to browsing BE
 
goldchoccycoin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 2,025
goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

I'm in Queensland and have been tracking my utility bills for a good few years and supply charges are the killer for me (use ~4kWh per day, single, full time worker so out of the house all day and no pool);

In 2009 I paid;
14.80c per kWh and it was 18c per day usage

Today;
26.61c per kWh and 106c per day usage (79.8% increase for Electricity and 489% increase in supply charge, nearly 10% and 61% per year).

No possible way to reduce your bills as the increase in supply charge completely negates any change in electricity use behaviour. Really feel for families on low income.
__________________
WHV (2001) - Tourist 676 (2002) - Student (2003) - PR 885 Onshore Skilled Ind. Student (2007) - Citizenship (2009) - long but brilliant journey!
goldchoccycoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:41 am   #34
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,890
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

The electricity price we are paying today is effectively another form of taxation - taxation that you have no choice to pay
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:43 pm   #35
Moreland Member
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,866
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin View Post
(use ~4kWh per day, single, full time worker so out of the house all day and no pool);

.
At that level of usage, you're better off of grid with a generator. Wouldn't even bother with Solar.

It's almost an option worth exploring for you.

I reckon I'd use more in my Caravan.
__________________
http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/h/3/p/y/7/image.gallery.galleryLandscape.620x414.gh3mu3.png/1431853071627.jpg
ozzieeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:43 pm   #36
Addicted to browsing BE
 
goldchoccycoin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 2,025
goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

I wish ozzieeagle - I'd love to live off-grid, but work is somewhat specialised and requires city living (unless I was prepared to do a 60 minute or more commute, which I'm not!). It would be great to share supply costs with my neighbours - all four units in one block pay the outrageous costs for supply when it's 'supplied' to one address!
__________________
WHV (2001) - Tourist 676 (2002) - Student (2003) - PR 885 Onshore Skilled Ind. Student (2007) - Citizenship (2009) - long but brilliant journey!
goldchoccycoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:08 am   #37
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,890
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

My plan over the coming years is to go totally off-grid and I want to do as much of the work as possible. I have a fairly large house with a 3-phase supply so this will be somewhat technically challenging on a tight budget

The price of Lion storage is coming down but ATM Tesla Powerwall is too expensive. There are new players coming into the market and the arrival of Amazon in Australia will open up the market even more

So it will be:
Lots of solar panels
Battery storage - I will need lots of it
A solar storage interface/inverter (I can adapt a 3-phase motor VSD starter to do this coupled with a PLC - all stuff I can get for next to nothing 2nd hand)
Back up diesel generator (that if I get this right would only be used on rare occasions)
Efficiency - LED lighting (my house is nearly all LED already), ground source heat-pump hot water, better insulation etc

An interesting project anyway
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:44 am   #38
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,791
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
My plan over the coming years is to go totally off-grid and I want to do as much of the work as possible. I have a fairly large house with a 3-phase supply so this will be somewhat technically challenging on a tight budget

The price of Lion storage is coming down but ATM Tesla Powerwall is too expensive. There are new players coming into the market and the arrival of Amazon in Australia will open up the market even more

So it will be:
Lots of solar panels
Battery storage - I will need lots of it
A solar storage interface/inverter (I can adapt a 3-phase motor VSD starter to do this coupled with a PLC - all stuff I can get for next to nothing 2nd hand)
Back up diesel generator (that if I get this right would only be used on rare occasions)
Efficiency - LED lighting (my house is nearly all LED already), ground source heat-pump hot water, better insulation etc

An interesting project anyway
Just curious

How long would it take you to see a ROI with an investment like that?
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:11 pm   #39
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,890
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Just curious

How long would it take you to see a ROI with an investment like that?
I'm not sure yet. I'm waiting to see how prices of solar and batteries pan out and how much of it I can do myself

I would imagine somewhere in the region of 5 years
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:11 pm   #40
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,791
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
I'm not sure yet. I'm waiting to see how prices of solar and batteries pan out and how much of it I can do myself

I would imagine somewhere in the region of 5 years
Would be interesting to see what the cost of everything would be, each component, to see its 5 year viability plan.

On current costs how long would the ROI take?
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th 2017, 3:37 pm   #41
arkon 
Ex BE ***** Addict
 
arkon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,765
arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
I'm not sure why Arkon is paying 57c per KWH as the small business prices for NSW are at least 60 pct cheaper than that through AGL. That's without things like 30 pct discounts.

https://www.agl.com.au/-/media/AGLDa...GL367040MS.pdf





Unless he is on a solar tariff of course, where the proof of the pudding is on how much electricity you produce yourself, or the bill at the end of the 3 months averaged out across 12 months. IE: you shouldn't be running on Solar unless you know you can produce at least 90pct of your own electricity needs.





As for supply charges, they are immaterial in all of this, in fact, if you are a large electricity user (say 25KWH) the first clue to very cheap electricity rates, are the highest supply charges. In other words, high supply charges really only affect those using less than 10kwh per day.
AGL do look a lot cheaper but if you check their endeavour area it doesn't cover most of the Sydney basin and definitely not my area. The only 2 companies I can use are Origin and energy Australia and they are both within a few cents of each other.

On the good news front I complained to my supplier and threatened to move and they just reduced my daily charge from $6.50 to $1.85 per day and removed the demand charge. The kWh rates still all went up nearly double though. Oh and guess what happened on Saturday? The whole of the town where my business is had a power cut for 90 minutes, I lost about a thousand dollars as a result.

The power out took out the phones and internet too and they aren't due for repair until Thursday afternoon!
__________________
Regards Arkon

Last edited by arkon; Aug 9th 2017 at 3:39 pm.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th 2017, 4:13 am   #42
Moreland Member
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,866
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
AGL do look a lot cheaper but if you check their endeavour area it doesn't cover most of the Sydney basin and definitely not my area. The only 2 companies I can use are Origin and energy Australia and they are both within a few cents of each other.

On the good news front I complained to my supplier and threatened to move and they just reduced my daily charge from $6.50 to $1.85 per day and removed the demand charge. The kWh rates still all went up nearly double though. Oh and guess what happened on Saturday? The whole of the town where my business is had a power cut for 90 minutes, I lost about a thousand dollars as a result.

The power out took out the phones and internet too and they aren't due for repair until Thursday afternoon!

In that case you should be paying around 36 cents per kwh then take off 24 pct discount, which is applicable to most business owners, through Energy Australia. There are small savings with the other specific plans, but this is the simplest. Ive used 2325 as the Post Code.... Cessnock.


https://secure.energyaustralia.com.a...NE390945SS.pdf


Unless you have Solar, then again thats down to your system on how much return you get from your configuration.
__________________
http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/h/3/p/y/7/image.gallery.galleryLandscape.620x414.gh3mu3.png/1431853071627.jpg

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 10th 2017 at 4:15 am.
ozzieeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:33 am   #43
arkon 
Ex BE ***** Addict
 
arkon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,765
arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
In that case you should be paying around 36 cents per kwh then take off 24 pct discount, which is applicable to most business owners, through Energy Australia. There are small savings with the other specific plans, but this is the simplest. Ive used 2325 as the Post Code.... Cessnock.


https://secure.energyaustralia.com.a...NE390945SS.pdf


Unless you have Solar, then again thats down to your system on how much return you get from your configuration.
Thanks ozzieeagle but that's not the quote I just got from them when I just called them. Where did you get that quote sheet from?
__________________
Regards Arkon
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th 2017, 6:02 am   #44
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,890
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Would be interesting to see what the cost of everything would be, each component, to see its 5 year viability plan.

On current costs how long would the ROI take?
I reckon it would take about 10 years to get ROI today

Ultimately, as long as I get an eventual ROI, I don't care how long it takes. I want to do this because I can
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:31 am   #45
Moreland Member
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,866
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My peak electricity is now $0.52 per KWH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Thanks ozzieeagle but that's not the quote I just got from them when I just called them. Where did you get that quote sheet from?
Online yesterday.... here.

https://secure.energyaustralia.com.a...actSheets.aspx


I can always do a little bit better than they quote in these as well. First month free, even week if all else fails. I call it "Del boy mode"


Try and fix it for more than 12 months as well.
__________________
http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/h/3/p/y/7/image.gallery.galleryLandscape.620x414.gh3mu3.png/1431853071627.jpg

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 11th 2017 at 8:34 am.
ozzieeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:20 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com