Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My bloods not good enough!!!!!

My bloods not good enough!!!!!

Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: My bloods not good enough!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sandra
Just reread my whole ......boring bit above...

in summary....

If I went to a blood donor session here in Aus and did not tick the box that I spent time in the UK during those years...Can I dontate blood?

Do the Aus blood donation services test for HIV, Hep A, B, etc etc

Do Aus have private family blood banks services like the US?

Cheers Again...and again...?

Yes they test for Hep B and C and HIV.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Sad but true...

Along with my universal donor card in my wallet I still keep my UK blood donor card - if anyone doesn't have one in the UK you should start donating blood...? just because the plastic blue card states "I do something amazing. I give blood" - on bad days this card gives me a lift.

I cannot donate blood in Aus because of having lived in the UK between the 'infected' years. But I have not given up yet....I have been back to the UK since I have been here and will make trips back again...and I try and fit in a blood donation trip when there. Minor minor contribution I know....but if it came to it and me or any of my family needed life saving blood for what ever reason here in Aus....I at least made an effort.

On a similair topic - My family know my wishes...if I go before any of them....any bits of me that will help others are theirs to give away? At this point do the recipients care that I might be a mad cow? Possibly now in the age of litigation they will have to sign in triplicate that the donor was a mad cow from Ireland and the UK ....but for the recipient of my bits....to help them live a more normal life...or extend their life a little, I think the risk of contanimation of CJD is well worth the risk.

The only thing I find annoying......is work related donation drives, two years plus here and I am still explaining that they do not want my blood I am not avoiding or not being 'Aussstraaaiian' to work colleagues. Possibly this is the reason I still have my Uk card....to prove to the persistent here I do care and would give blood but cannnot?

...PS......what years ......up to 1996....bugger that rules out quite a few returning Aussies who spent a working year in the UK...?

Sorry for going on....but because I have never given blood in Aus ...can someone who does read this far answer the question....do you get asked about details when dontating the blood or is it like the UK and you have to tick the boxes before you do it.

Finally I have got to my point......if I was not honest....could I give blood in Aus?

Thanks for reading?!
I don't know what is exactly on the form as I haven't given blood here because of living in the UK.

All I can say is if you don't fill out the forms truthfully you could be jeopardising some poor donor's health which rather defeats the whole purpose.The rules are made for a reason.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:30 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

So,
If youve had sex with a man u only need to wait 12 months
but
if youve had sex with a mad cow u cant donate?
i better lay aff they mad cows !!!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I find annoying......is work related donation drives, two years plus here and I am still explaining that they do not want my blood I am not avoiding or not being 'Aussstraaaiian' to work colleagues. Possibly this is the reason I still have my Uk card....to prove to the persistent here I do care and would give blood but cannnot?
I can idnetify with that one Sandra, they were all running round donating blood at work this week, and - being friendly to the new girl - kept asking if they could show me the way etc. I ended up feeling really guilty just sitting there when the rest of them are "doing their duty".