Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mrs skeggs makes the front page

mrs skeggs makes the front page

Old Dec 9th 2003, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I think British spoken humour comes over badly on TV. I find that when chatting with Brits that I enjoy a mix of good and bad comment. I can think of some American aquaintances who I'll blether with and the whole conversation is upbeat. I don't prefer either style, but if selected a dozen fifteen second snippets of either conversation I bet I would find something worthy of being torn apart by the forum in the British one, but not with the American.

Both conversations would be with people who are good to know. One would make compelling TV, the other wouldn't.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

And there was me thinking we would have to wait until 9.01pm on Thursday to start this week's bloodsport.....and its only Tuesday.

Send for the hounds
Old Dec 9th 2003, 6:51 pm
WBB

Originally posted by sjn2003
And there was me thinking we would have to wait until 9.01pm on Thursday to start this week's bloodsport.....and its only Tuesday.

Send for the hounds

tuesday???

that is tonight?

Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:13 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CHnJ
I think British spoken humour comes over badly on TV. I find that when chatting with Brits that I enjoy a mix of good and bad comment. I can think of some American aquaintances who I'll blether with and the whole conversation is upbeat. I don't prefer either style, but if selected a dozen fifteen second snippets of either conversation I bet I would find something worthy of being torn apart by the forum in the British one, but not with the American.

Both conversations would be with people who are good to know. One would make compelling TV, the other wouldn't.
I think many of us who have migrated to Oz would have made 'negative comments' if I am standing out in the heat when temps are 30 or above, I moan that I feel too hot. I did the same in UK but obviously not as often. The birds are bl**dy noisy, the flies can be a nuisance, the beach is often not bearable because of the strength of the wind. You can't find your familiar items in the shops. etc etc

Also I have seen whales and dolphins here, I have seen the most spectacular archeaology, I live 20mins from the indian ocean. The view from Kings park over the Swan River will always remain with me. I like Tim Tams, people are friendly and helpful. The weather is much milder than in the UK with a predicatable summer...HOT

Those who haven't moaned at least once cast the first stone.....
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:21 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I think many of us who have migrated to Oz would have made 'negative comments' if I am standing out in the heat when temps are 30 or above, I moan that I feel too hot. I did the same in UK but obviously not as often. The birds are bl**dy noisy, the flies can be a nuisance, the beach is often not bearable because of the strength of the wind. You can't find your familiar items in the shops. etc etc

Also I have seen whales and dolphins here, I have seen the most spectacular archeaology, I live 20mins from the indian ocean. The view from Kings park over the Swan River will always remain with me. I like Tim Tams, people are friendly and helpful. The weather is much milder than in the UK with a predicatable summer...HOT

Those who haven't moaned at least once cast the first stone.....
I watched Mrs Skeggs moaning about the heat whilst looking at their plot of land and she sounded JUST LIKE ME!!!! I did chuckle when she got into the car with the air con on and went on about how cool it was in there!! Thats me all over that is!!!! I think she is funny and a lot of what she says is true!!

When we were in the UK we got a phone call from the TV company doing this programme and they spoke to hubby. We were going to participate in this Maybe if they had chosen us I would have abusive phone calls too!!!!!! They must have decided we were to normal, little did they know I could have given as good entertainment as Mrs Skeggs lol

Last edited by janeyray; Dec 10th 2003 at 12:26 am.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:44 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by janeyray
I watched Mrs Skeggs moaning about the heat whilst looking at their plot of land and she sounded JUST LIKE ME!!!! I did chuckle when she got into the car with the air con on and went on about how cool it was in there!! Thats me all over that is!!!! I think she is funny and a lot of what she says is true!!

When we were in the UK we got a phone call from the TV company doing this programme and they spoke to hubby. We were going to participate in this Maybe if they had chosen us I would have abusive phone calls too!!!!!! They must have decided we were to normal, little did they know I could have given as good entertainment as Mrs Skeggs lol
I thought a lot of her comments about the building of the house were realsitic, but I expect it will only be the one about her comparing its size to others in the road that will be highlighted.
New houses are built very close together making it very difficult to get any privacy. And you may have to make compromises about being situated near a noisy freeway.

And is the thing about knickers a brit thing? I have always thought you can only get good knicks at M&S. Do Ozzies have their own preference for shoppping for knicks or is it just not an issue for them?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:51 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

And is the thing about knickers a brit thing? I have always thought you can only get good knicks at M&S. Do Ozzies have their own preference for shoppping for knicks or is it just not an issue for them?
My mum is sending me some M&S Knickers for Christmas. I find that the knickers (pants!) here are cheap and nasty in places like Kmart and Target, your right, is there somewhere nice to buy you pants!!!???? DOES ANYONE KNOW!!!!!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:52 am
Just Joined

jodiiiiiiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
Me too but then again I wouldn't volunteer in the first place
Why would I want the world to see what is a very trying and difficult experience? The money? The publicity? Why would someone volunteer? When we get the answers we will be a long way down the road to understanding why we get what we do on such series - dysfunctional families, show offs, whingers etc. Sorry, they were edited out of context, yeah, right.

OzTennis
So you have already accepted that this is a very trying experience and yet you dont seem willing to give mandy and her family an inch! They have been filmed consistently for at least 6 months...lets take every negative thing youve said about australia (or anything else for that matter) in the last 6 months...edit it all together and see how you look.
yes Im her best friend, I am not mandy. I live in the US. I, too , just finished the whole immigration process and have had to deal with no end of hurdles...Im sure if you edited my comments in the last 6 months they wouldnt be too pretty and yet I LOVE IT here!! Its the day to day stresses...
Dysfunctional?? Showoffs??? How bout just honest and willing to show others an honest account of what the immigration process is like...unfortunately the program makers are just interested in ratings and not fact...which is proved by the fact that you are still watching it and making comments about what a whinging pom she is.
What you need to remember is that she isnt some celebrity...shes a normal person in an abnormal setting. and on top of all this stress...she gets threatening phone calls too..(now THATS dysfunctional...some people dont know when to switch off the telly I guess). I know mandy is having some real doubts about doing the show in the first place (it was her children who so desperately wanted to do the show) and thats really sad, because without these shows we wouldnt be able to see what the immigration process is really about and you wouldnt have anything to moan about

Jodi
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought a lot of her comments about the building of the house were realsitic, but I expect it will only be the one about her comparing its size to others in the road that will be highlighted.
New houses are built very close together making it very difficult to get any privacy. And you may have to make compromises about being situated near a noisy freeway.

Bonds Underwear is what skippy wears. It would be bloody un-australian not to.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:59 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by bondipom

Hey looking good, but they look 'tiny winy' for 'tiny winy' people, but I might just be able to squeeze into a pair, not sure how flattering they would look though. lolololol:scared:
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:02 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by jodiiiiiiii
So you have already accepted that this is a very trying experience and yet you dont seem willing to give mandy and her family an inch! They have been filmed consistently for at least 6 months...lets take every negative thing youve said about australia (or anything else for that matter) in the last 6 months...edit it all together and see how you look.
yes Im her best friend, I am not mandy. I live in the US. I, too , just finished the whole immigration process and have had to deal with no end of hurdles...Im sure if you edited my comments in the last 6 months they wouldnt be too pretty and yet I LOVE IT here!! Its the day to day stresses...
Dysfunctional?? Showoffs??? How bout just honest and willing to show others an honest account of what the immigration process is like...unfortunately the program makers are just interested in ratings and not fact...which is proved by the fact that you are still watching it and making comments about what a whinging pom she is.
What you need to remember is that she isnt some celebrity...shes a normal person in an abnormal setting. and on top of all this stress...she gets threatening phone calls too..(now THATS dysfunctional...some people dont know when to switch off the telly I guess). I know mandy is having some real doubts about doing the show in the first place (it was her children who so desperately wanted to do the show) and thats really sad, because without these shows we wouldnt be able to see what the immigration process is really about and you wouldnt have anything to moan about

Jodi
The poeple inthe Uk haven't met Mrs. Skeggs yet so they are unable at the moment to form their own opinion of her. Sadly there are people on this site who love to rip the participants on programmes like this to shreds, they will each have their own reasons for doing so.

But we are not all the same any some of us recognise the process Mrs. S has gone through. She is more vocal on the programme than her husband and she will be criticised for her outspokenness. Unfortunately some of her comments have made me cringe. Not because I haven't thought or even said some of them in the privacy of my own home, but I wouldn't want to be broadcast saying them, but I don't believe she was trying to be malicious.

If your friend could bear the storm of those on here who will criticise her (some irony in that don't you think), she could also gain a lot of support from those who understand the basis of most of the comments she was making.

She will probably also be useful to others who wish to settle in Perth and build their own homes.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:17 am
Just Joined

jodiiiiiiii is an unknown quantity at this point

The poeple inthe Uk haven't met Mrs. Skeggs yet so they are unable at the moment to form their own opinion of her. Sadly there are people on this site who love to rip the participants on programmes like this to shreds, they will each have their own reasons for doing so.

But we are not all the same any some of us recognise the process Mrs. S has gone through. She is more vocal on the programme than her husband and she will be criticised for her outspokenness. Unfortunately some of her comments have made me cringe. Not because I haven't thought or even said some of them in the privacy of my own home, but I wouldn't want to be broadcast saying them, but I don't believe she was trying to be malicious.

If your friend could bear the storm of those on here who will criticise her (some irony in that don't you think), she could also gain a lot of support from those who understand the basis of most of the comments she was making.

She will probably also be useful to others who wish to settle in Perth and build their own homes.
Hi,

First of all Donna, I would Like to thank you for at least being very open minded and giving her a chance!!! I've read some of your replies and I'm grateful that you have tried to see it from both sides.

Oh my gawd, if you only knew Mandy...I laughed my but off with the comment about her skinny friend....what you guys dont know is that mandy and I used to joke about skinny people and we would always tell whoever to "go away" if they were skinny... this was just a joke and was taken as a compliment!! Mandy has a crazy sense of humor....I just wish you guys could see that...She is a designer label freak too. and the knicker thing cracked me up!!!!

Mandy feels extremely bad that Mick gave up his established career and has had to start from scratch again.....you were right Donna...She was the one that was offered the Midwifery job in Oz and it was because of her career that they went. Its not that shes upset that Micks just a brickie its because she feels it her fault. She is very very supportive of her husband and just feels bad...that must've come across wrong.

PLEASE keep an open mind when you watch her... She's a lovely person REALLY!!!!!

jodi
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
I have no idea if they did a big knicks range or not but very little fashion advertising is done by big women.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:36 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by jodiiiiiiii

Jodi
I'am on Mandys side!! It doesn't matter what others think about her, I think she is funny and very honest. Is she and her family staying in Oz for good now?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Jane yep i would go for the bonds undies to and you dont whinge we have deep disscussions when we meet for coffee dont we
Joanne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.