Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mrs skeggs makes the front page

mrs skeggs makes the front page

Old Dec 9th 2003, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough
Default mrs skeggs makes the front page

I see our good old mrs skeggs has made the front page of the west australian today " whinging pom " oh god what has she done for the rest of us !!!!!! She said she didnt moan , give me strength , she was portrayed wrong , ha what a laugh .
She now says she loves it here after getting very nasty phone calls from the public after seeing her on TV , ill never moan again after seeing her i promise
Joanne
Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Tonight was the first time I had seen A Place in the Sun. So she thinks she was 'portrayed wrongly' does she - what rubbish, no tv programme could make you sound like a whinger unless you made enough negative comments to give them the necessary footage, and she certainly gave them what they wanted. I found myself shouting at the tv 'go home and give someone else a chance'. On the plus side, Perth looked good didn't it? adelaidegirl

PS: Of course, I am now hooked on this programme, sad eh?
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
Tonight was the first time I had seen A Place in the Sun. So she thinks she was 'portrayed wrongly' does she - what rubbish, no tv programme could make you sound like a whinger unless you made enough negative comments to give them the necessary footage, and she certainly gave them what they wanted. I found myself shouting at the tv 'go home and give someone else a chance'. On the plus side, Perth looked good didn't it? adelaidegirl

PS: Of course, I am now hooked on this programme, sad eh?
Is it called A place in the sun in Australia? I'm confused, Channel 4 are calling it A new life down under and they have another series (about buying property in Spain, France etc) called A place in the sun.

I tend to agree - when someone says they were quoted out of context they must have said something for them to edit in - and it takes a certain kind of person to volunteer for a Channel 4 documentary. I remember they had a series on couples who got married at Gretna Green - there wasn't one 'normal' couple on it but we're told normal is not what people want to see. What was John Steinbeck's comment about holidays - the only aspect of them that other people want to see is the disasters!

OzTennis
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:14 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
Is it called A place in the sun in Australia? I'm confused, Channel 4 are calling it A new life down under and they have another series (about buying property in Spain, France etc) called A place in the sun.

I tend to agree - when someone says they were quoted out of context they must have said something for them to edit in - and it takes a certain kind of person to volunteer for a Channel 4 documentary. I remember they had a series on couples who got married at Gretna Green - there wasn't one 'normal' couple on it but we're told normal is not what people want to see. What was John Steinbeck's comment about holidays - the only aspect of them that other people want to see is the disasters!

OzTennis
In Oz its called 'a place down under'. Poor Mrs. Skeggs did some moaning but mainly she was quite critical of Perth and made generalising statements like 'australia has no class' and was cutting about a neighbour who worked at cash converters' there is more so viewers here and Uk have to wait. She's on TV again here tonight I think.

It was obvious she was going to have some difficulties here following some of the statements she made and I guess the rest of the family will have suffered too.

But in her defence there are many things she did say that will have been uttered by many of us, as we became accoustomed to the new aspects and differences of life in Oz. I can understand what she meant by the long wait at traffic lights, but it is something you get used to.

Given recent threads Mrs. Skegg will probably get ripped apart on this forum too once UK viewers get to meet her.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
In Oz its called 'a place down under'. Poor Mrs. Skeggs did some moaning but mainly she was quite critical of Perth and made generalising statements like 'australia has no class' and was cutting about a neighbour who worked at cash converters' there is more so viewers here and Uk have to wait. She's on TV again here tonight I think.

It was obvious she was going to have some difficulties here following some of the statements she made and I guess the rest of the family will have suffered too.

But in her defence there are many things she did say that will have been uttered by many of us, as we became accoustomed to the new aspects and differences of life in Oz. I can understand what she meant by the long wait at traffic lights, but it is something you get used to.

Given recent threads Mrs. Skegg will probably get ripped apart on this forum too once UK viewers get to meet her.
Yep, it is unfortunate how people can be wrongly portrayed or a balanced view not given. The nature of the thing is that they will be shown immediately after they arrive with all the attendant pressures, homesickness etc. The series should give 'follow up' at the end like a lot of documentaries do. They would get the opportunity to say how they have settled in, how they like the place, friends they have made etc. It's not in the nature of this series to give this balanced view though. Perhaps Mrs Skeggs needs to come onto the BE forum to defend herself?

OzTennis
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:30 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Mrs Skeggs needs to come onto the BE forum to defend herself?
OzTennis
she already has a friend doing just that
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by walaj
she already has a friend doing just that
Yep, said that in another thread. Friend might be Mrs Skeggs who knows?

OzTennis
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:16 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, said that in another thread. Friend might be Mrs Skeggs who knows?

OzTennis
She's not. Unless she gets up in the middle of the night, pretending to be.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by JaneandJim
She's not. Unless she gets up in the middle of the night, pretending to be.
No, I wasn't really being serious. But who knows what can go on with multiple identities, identity theft, anonymity and all that. (Someone used my identity to post their vitriol recently).

OzTennis
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And I suppose she will be charging to give her views now anyway having presumably received money to appear in the first place.

OzTennis
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:29 am
Badge

To be fair, being quoted out of context is all too possible, I could enthuse about Straya then say, "of couse, some would say that australia is backward in this regard [not that it bothers me]" ...yadda yadda yadda

the bastards would probably show all my "of course" statements which I only put in as a informative gesture for the viewer back home anyhows.

Of course I would say it positively: these punters on TV get caught out regardless because you can tell from the monotone and/or whine that they are pommy whingers anyhow.

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Dec 9th 2003 at 10:31 am.

Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:12 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
To be fair, being quoted out of context is all too possible, I could enthuse about Straya then say, "of couse, some would say that australia is backward in this regard [not that it bothers me]" ...yadda yadda yadda

the bastards would probably show all my "of course" statements which I only put in as a informative gesture for the viewer back home anyhows.

Of course I would say it positively: these punters on TV get caught out regardless because you can tell from the monotone and/or whine that they are pommy whingers anyhow.

Badge

I don't know how long any of these families are filmed for, and how often they may switch on the camera to 'chat' but it clearly has to be edited for the most impact. I suspect they get used to chatting to the camera and become less inhibited about what they say.

Do you remember when Jade from BB was very unpopular, until the producers changed what they were broadcasting because they were scared of the impact of the public reaction on her emotional state?

Producers appear to be a law unto themselves, anything for good TV.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:45 pm
Badge

If I was being filmed, I would watch myself like a hawk!! I wouldn't go out of my way to be negative - also these people must be negative - if they said 'we want a shot of you looking homesick on the couch' they should have replied, "I'm not homesick" bugger off.

Presumably the crew are not there ALL the time, which means you could have rests etc.

if you stuffed up, maybe you could make rude gestures, drop yyour trousers etc you could always swear so much that they couldn't edit out the swearing reasonably hence they would have to ditch the scene...

just thinking resourcefully

Badge

Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Me too but then again I wouldn't volunteer in the first place
Why would I want the world to see what is a very trying and difficult experience? The money? The publicity? Why would someone volunteer? When we get the answers we will be a long way down the road to understanding why we get what we do on such series - dysfunctional families, show offs, whingers etc. Sorry, they were edited out of context, yeah, right.

OzTennis
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:11 pm
Badge

I think you have it there.

At the end of the day you have to be a bit 'special' to volunteer for TV coverage, or, you're so blase you really don't care..

also for indoor-sitting-on-your-own-on-the-couch scenes, they won't film just anyhow, they will make sure they have enough light, they will probably want to reshoot if you are looking really selfaware or subconcious...they will try to get you in a good angle..etc so you know they are shooting..

BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.