Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to West Sydney

Moving to West Sydney

Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

tommmmmee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to West Sydney

Hi I'm new to the site. Just been granted a 457 visa as a bricklayer and will be mostly working in West Sydney. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on a good place to live? I'm single and 34. I was thinking parramatta. Is parramatta good or are there better places out West that are better but not to far from the coast. Thanks tom
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to West Sydney

Originally Posted by tommmmmee
Hi I'm new to the site. Just been granted a 457 visa as a bricklayer and will be mostly working in West Sydney. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on a good place to live? I'm single and 34. I was thinking parramatta. Is parramatta good or are there better places out West that are better but not to far from the coast. Thanks tom
I can't imagine there's going to be a lot of positive responses to this question.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

i know its not the best out that way from what iv been reading but iv been living in leytonstone ,east london. so im used to a bit of crazyness. where would be good out west ? any where ha
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well where in Western Sydney are you going to be working? Its a big, desolate, ugly place.

34 and single - it be living nearer the city and commuting. It won't take that long.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

so best option u think is commuting . well whats the most west place thats nice and affordable? is the traffic bad around west sydney too. and il be moving site to site so most of it il be working
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

so best option u think is commuting . well whats the most west place thats nice and affordable? is the traffic bad around west sydney too. and il be moving site to site so most of it il be working
So regardless where you live you have a commute - site to site right.

Yes the traffic is Western Sydney is the pits. Bogans love cars.

Yes housing is cheaper in Western Sydney than Eastern Sydney because its the pits.

I won't paint it up with rose tinted glasses because I can't
Old Apr 1st 2015, 11:30 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Strathfield is about as far West as I would live.

Have to agree with Beoz here - Western Sydney is completely dire. Huge, endless housing estates with some giant malls dotted around. No sense of community, no local pub, no nothing really. I'd rather move back to the UK than even consider Western Sydney.

A moderately good place if you are married with 2.4 kids and you never go out any more, and the shopping mall is your only social outlet, but for a single guy in his 30s? Forget it.

Live nearer the city and bite the bullet with the commute. Actually, you could probably get away with Homebush Bay if really pushed.

An alternative approach would be the upper Mountains - Wentworth Falls, Leura or Katoomba. The mountains are very different to the city, but do have a pretty vibrant social scene and pub culture. I have often considered moving to Katoomba myself. Significantly very different to the West, and may be a better option - A much better place to be a single guy, and pretty swift road access to the West hubs like Penrith and Parramatta.

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Apr 1st 2015 at 11:34 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

i know its not the best out that way from what iv been reading but iv been living in leytonstone ,east london. so im used to a bit of crazyness. where would be good out west ? any where ha
I suggest you do not become too influenced by what some people say on here about western Sydney. Some parts are pretty rough but others are really nice. The posts show that they know very little about the places they are berating.
I do not know you so I would not presume to tell you where or where not to live. I suggest that you keep an open mind and visit various areas when you arrive so that you can decide where you would like to live.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

Live somewhere like Glebe, and commute by motorcycle to beat the traffic.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 2:11 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone in Western Sydney and I keep telling them to sell, sell, sell while they ride the property boom that has driven even those less desirable suburbs to levels where they could cash in and escape to the Gold Coast even.

Btw, what is St Mary's like nowadays compared to the West in general? Better than most, one of the worst places, average?
Old Apr 7th 2015, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by astera
I know someone in Western Sydney and I keep telling them to sell, sell, sell while they ride the property boom that has driven even those less desirable suburbs to levels where they could cash in and escape to the Gold Coast even.
Out of the frying pan into the fire .... Ho .. Ho ... Ho ... Ho
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera

Btw, what is St Mary's like nowadays compared to the West in general? Better than most, one of the worst places, average?
Doubt if St Mary's is much different than it ever was. Haven't been there in some considerable time but I have heard that when the second airport gets going that property prices will skyrocket. If you have spare cash it might be worth getting an investment property. Not sure but think 3/4 beds are about $450.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist
Live somewhere like Glebe, and commute by motorcycle to beat the traffic.
Have you ever tried to carry a chippy's tools on a motor bike?
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
Out of the frying pan into the fire .... Ho .. Ho ... Ho ... Ho
Can't believe you are as big a snob as your posts suggest.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:07 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Have you ever tried to carry a chippy's tools on a motor bike?

Didn't the OP say bricklayer though?

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.