Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney from SE England

Moving to Sydney from SE England

Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney from SE England

The Airport/City/Eastern beaches kind of form a triangle.

If you're working at the airport you could live somewhere like Kensington or Randwick which would be right in the middle of them all. Not quite as cool as Surry, Newtown, etc but reasonable bars and restaurants around and then you'd be equidistant from beach/city/work.

Personally I really rate the buses in Sydney. I live in the Northern Beaches and its awesome being on the express bus to the city laughing at all the schmoes stuck in their cars as we wiz down the bus lane. Plus they run all night unlike the trains.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Ouch... I learned that in the first week... I think the default fee is about $8. Though if you email them and say their stupid machine didn't work or such, they will normally refund you...

S
oo nice tip. There's probably $50
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Robcuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We moved out in 2006 and settled in Randwick where we spent five years. Initially we were only paying $360 for a two bed apartment with a courtyard but after annual rent increases of around 10% we moved to Lilyfield in 2011 which is in the inner west.

As we didn't have work initially or any history in Australia we paid 6 months rent in advance which helped secure us the first property we really liked. When we moved on we viewed several units and the difference in quality was amazing - some places were terrible inside.

You will be looking at around $600 plus I'd say but with no ties you have a huge choice of suburbs. Anywhere close to public transport you will be just fine but as someone from England and wanting to enjoy Sydney I would suggest no further west than Dulwich Hill. Most places within 20 mins of the city are similar in prices so it depends on your lifestyle. We moved away from the eastern suburbs as it was a little cheaper and we didn't goto the beach but I loved Randwick as it has everything - close to the city, the coast, park, restaurants, bus links, sport I could go on.

Balmain, Rozelle, Newtown are very popular but the first two are pricey, but they are great spots. On your salary you'll be fine. It will be tough at first finding somewhere but you'll work it out. Watch out for flight paths too as places like Petersham, Marrickville and Mascot do suffer.

Erskinville has a nice feel is close enough to nightlife without being too close.

Sorry about the waffling I'm just typing as I think of suburbs.

Manly is lovely but I couldn't live there as it would take too long to get to work and the traffic would get to me.

Plenty of suggestions from everyone - all the best
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:13 am
Just Joined

LeonV is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi shrimp42,

based on $140k salary and no kids your borrowing capacity is in the $650k to $700k range. Some key things to consider though are:

- Your credit card limits and other debts would reduce your borrowing capacity
- The type of visa you're on will affect which lender will consider you
- You should budget 5% of the purchase price to cover costs like stamp duty and legal fees.
- The minimum deposit most lenders will consider is 10%. 5% goes on costs and you get a loan for 95% of the purchase price
- so with your deposit of $75k, your max purchase price is probably around $700k

The cheapest rates in the market are around 4.65% variable and 4.59% 3 yr fixed.

Best of luck with your decision to move - all I can say is it is fantastic here!

cheers