Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney but where????

Moving to Sydney but where????

Old Jul 31st 2011, 11:26 am
Just Joined

jay1664 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sydney but where????

Hi everyone

I'm after a bit of advise. My girlfriend and I are due to move to Sydney towards the end of the year and are starting to look for places to rent. Our work is over in Bella Vista so accessibility by car to there is a factor. We don't mind travelling up to 45 mins max as this is how long it currently takes us in London. We also want an area that is close to the centre of Sydney but not right in it. We like our open spaces but also love the cafe lifestyle with restaurants and bars close by. Friends of ours are saying North Sydney area and also Gordon, Pymble etc. They live in St Ives but have 2 kids where as we are in our mid 30s and no kids.
Thoughts, views?
Look forward to hearing your thoughts
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:18 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Sydney but where????

Originally Posted by jay1664
Hi everyone

I'm after a bit of advise. My girlfriend and I are due to move to Sydney towards the end of the year and are starting to look for places to rent. Our work is over in Bella Vista so accessibility by car to there is a factor. We don't mind travelling up to 45 mins max as this is how long it currently takes us in London. We also want an area that is close to the centre of Sydney but not right in it. We like our open spaces but also love the cafe lifestyle with restaurants and bars close by. Friends of ours are saying North Sydney area and also Gordon, Pymble etc. They live in St Ives but have 2 kids where as we are in our mid 30s and no kids.
Thoughts, views?
Ok having kids I prob wouldn't be looking at the same areas but I know when hubby was out there on his own he was quite impressed by Epping, Chatswood, and we have family with no kids who now live in Mosman and are very happy there.
I was going to say could be pricey but if you're used to London prices I don't think this will be too much of a shock to you.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 11:33 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

What's your budget? Sorry to be so blunt but where I'd recommend would depend on it.

We are late 30s and 40s, no children. When we first arrived and were renting we lived in McMahons Point - it's close to North Sydney station and facilities and has cafes and a few small shops. Similar to that, other side of the railway, is Kirribilli. Both are lovely but expensive areas. (North Sydney itself is essentially the city's 2nd CBD, devoid of a soul, and dead on a weekend.)

Mosman is nice but very yummy mummy, not my thing. Also quite isolated, not great for transport. As a childless couple I wouldn't want to live in any of the other areas you or Jen mentioned - sorry

You'd have to suss out the travelling times on Google Maps but I would say look at the Northern Beaches - Manly (not really my thing), Freshwater (love it), Dee Why (gets mixed reviews but I know young people very happy there), etc. Bermudashorts lives up there and commutes, albeit to the city but I'm sure she'll have some good advice.

Alternatively for a bit of soul, cafe life with a bit of indy/grunge, look at the Inner West - Newtown, Erskineville, etc. We live in Alexandria, within walking distance of these, and my husband commutes to North Ryde, no problem. We wouldn't live here if money were no object but we wanted more space for our money (we bought), we wanted good transport links (ten minutes to the city centre, less on the train), husband flies a lot so great for the airport, and we love the alternative vibe of Newtown and Erskineville. We're surprisingly happy here

Slightly more of a commute would be Bondi, Coogee, etc., if you want the Eastern Suburbs beach lifestyle. Remember you'll be sharing it with the backpackers though.

Have a look on www.cityhobo.com, IME it's pretty accurate.

edit: I always forget about Balmain, Leichardt, Glebe, that way out. Very nice, bit yummy mummy in Balmain but good cafe society.

Last edited by Kooky.; Jul 31st 2011 at 11:36 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Someone called. To throw my tuppence in..

We are a childless couple aged late 30's and early 40's. Initially we were thinking of Pymble, St Ives, Gordon etc and we even looked in the Hills too. But we are very glad we did not end up there, I think those places are more suited to the family market.

So I would agree with Seasider and recommend heading to the beaches for that cafe lifestyle you mention. We are in Collaroy, just north of Dee Why and it is about 50 minutes drive to Bella Vista, so you probably don't want to go much further up the coast. You would need to drive, there won't be any public transport options from here (unless you go via city which would take forever).

I get the bus to work every day and pass through Mosman and Neutral Bay and they look like interesting places, plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes. The drive to Bella Visa would be a bit easier and shorter from here too.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:14 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thoughts, views?
Bearing in mind your commute and the fact that you will generally be going against the main CBD bound traffic flow, check out Epping. Excellent links to City and Chatswood (life and shopping sorted!) by train so you can leave the car at home when you want to sample nightlife. Its a good sized suburb and would be a good starting point while you get used to your job, the commute and Sydney in general. Sydney is huge and even now after 3 1/2 years I have experience of only about 25% of it. As you are a couple with no kids I would suggest a 6 month lease (you can NOT get a lease in advance, you HAVE to view before you can apply) which then gives you flexibility to change/stay as you grasp more of the area.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:18 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Someone called. To throw my tuppence in..

We are a childless couple aged late 30's and early 40's. Initially we were thinking of Pymble, St Ives, Gordon etc and we even looked in the Hills too. But we are very glad we did not end up there, I think those places are more suited to the family market.

So I would agree with Seasider and recommend heading to the beaches for that cafe lifestyle you mention. We are in Collaroy, just north of Dee Why and it is about 50 minutes drive to Bella Vista, so you probably don't want to go much further up the coast. You would need to drive, there won't be any public transport options from here (unless you go via city which would take forever).

I get the bus to work every day and pass through Mosman and Neutral Bay and they look like interesting places, plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes. The drive to Bella Visa would be a bit easier and shorter from here too.
Good point about Neutral Bay, great place for bars and cafes and easy access by Ferry and Bus to the City, plus you can get direct onto the Cove Tunnel Toll Road onto the M2 to take you up to the Windsor Rd round to the back of Bella Vista or the Old Windsor Rd to get to it via the front. Regular commute will determine which road will be best.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Seasider
What's your budget? Sorry to be so blunt but where I'd recommend would depend on it.

We are late 30s and 40s, no children. When we first arrived and were renting we lived in McMahons Point - it's close to North Sydney station and facilities and has cafes and a few small shops. Similar to that, other side of the railway, is Kirribilli. Both are lovely but expensive areas. (North Sydney itself is essentially the city's 2nd CBD, devoid of a soul, and dead on a weekend.)

Mosman is nice but very yummy mummy, not my thing. Also quite isolated, not great for transport. As a childless couple I wouldn't want to live in any of the other areas you or Jen mentioned - sorry

You'd have to suss out the travelling times on Google Maps but I would say look at the Northern Beaches - Manly (not really my thing), Freshwater (love it), Dee Why (gets mixed reviews but I know young people very happy there), etc. Bermudashorts lives up there and commutes, albeit to the city but I'm sure she'll have some good advice.

Alternatively for a bit of soul, cafe life with a bit of indy/grunge, look at the Inner West - Newtown, Erskineville, etc. We live in Alexandria, within walking distance of these, and my husband commutes to North Ryde, no problem. We wouldn't live here if money were no object but we wanted more space for our money (we bought), we wanted good transport links (ten minutes to the city centre, less on the train), husband flies a lot so great for the airport, and we love the alternative vibe of Newtown and Erskineville. We're surprisingly happy here

Slightly more of a commute would be Bondi, Coogee, etc., if you want the Eastern Suburbs beach lifestyle. Remember you'll be sharing it with the backpackers though.

Have a look on www.cityhobo.com, IME it's pretty accurate.

edit: I always forget about Balmain, Leichardt, Glebe, that way out. Very nice, bit yummy mummy in Balmain but good cafe society.
Many thanks for this - in terms of budget I think we are looking at around A$900 a week. Does this sound feasible?
Will check out cityhobo and also have a look at Kirribilli and McMahon's Point.
Will let you know how we get on.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paddyo
Good point about Neutral Bay, great place for bars and cafes and easy access by Ferry and Bus to the City, plus you can get direct onto the Cove Tunnel Toll Road onto the M2 to take you up to the Windsor Rd round to the back of Bella Vista or the Old Windsor Rd to get to it via the front. Regular commute will determine which road will be best.
cool will have a look at neutral bay thanks
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:01 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

$900 pw is normally a good budget but you're talking des res areas It should get you a pretty good 2-bedder, maybe even with a view. A lot of the lovely older apartments in those areas (which those with views often are, unless you go highrise) will be compact and may only have one bathroom.

Let's see if this works, I just did a search on domain:

http://www.domain.com.au/Search/rent...bay&displmap=0
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:32 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Many thanks for this - in terms of budget I think we are looking at around A$900 a week. Does this sound feasible?
Will check out cityhobo and also have a look at Kirribilli and McMahon's Point.
Will let you know how we get on.
$900 is plenty for a decent place in most areas so you will have a good choice.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Hi Jay

At least you'll be going against the traffic working in Bella Vista, but there will still be traffic- make no mistake. Have you checked out Castle Hill at all? Lots of cafes, shops etc and a nice suburb, albeit a family one. However, lots of young people also in the area and nice and close to work

If you want closer to the city, also consider Lane Cove, Crows Nest (my favourite!) Greenwich and Chatswood. All good areas and not too far from the cbd. $900 will get you a decent place as well. Good luck!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:56 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Jacque
Hi Jay

At least you'll be going against the traffic working in Bella Vista, but there will still be traffic- make no mistake. Have you checked out Castle Hill at all? Lots of cafes, shops etc and a nice suburb, albeit a family one. However, lots of young people also in the area and nice and close to work

If you want closer to the city, also consider Lane Cove, Crows Nest (my favourite!) Greenwich and Chatswood. All good areas and not too far from the cbd. $900 will get you a decent place as well. Good luck!
I like Castle Hill as a family suburb, especially if you work near there. But I would NEVER suggest it to a young professional couple. They would be bored stupid at weekends, only so many school fairs and coffee mornings you can do!!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:05 am
Auntie Fa

Agreed - if you're going to move to Sydney, move to Sydney. Live the dream
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Third that.

Don't go anywhere with "Hill" in the name. The Hills are not for childfree professional couples.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Agreed - if you're going to move to Sydney, move to Sydney. Live the dream
i'd agree with that.

The western/northern/eastern/southern suburbs out of Sydney are very boring and dont really have any character.

Thats obvioulsy just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.