Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth but where to live?

Moving to Perth but where to live?

Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Sylvia18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Perth but where to live?

Hello everyone I am new to here and am in great need of some advice!
I've got the visa (which includes my partner) and I have got the job. Only problem is now where to live?

I shall be commuting north of Perth (about 16 miles) from October until January. Then I start work in South Perth. Ideally it would be wise to rent south Perth but where? (And how bad is the commute by car or train?)

My partner and I will require a one or two bed for at least 6 months. Once we settle I should think we'll look at buying. He has to find a job yet (an electrician so I hope it won't take too long) so we will be running on one salary for a while (approx 75 000 dollars basic rate).

How long does the whole rental process take. With money tight I don't want to stay in a hotel for too long and hotel rentals appear to be expensive.

Thank you all.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth but where to live?

I that South Perth the suburb? If it is, South Perth and Como are nice suburbs to live.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends exactly where in south perth you will be working - the train is good, but obviously limited to location.

The other factor is budget. How much rent do you want to pay?

When working out your budget, you need to factor in the fact your partner may not be working for some time. He will need to get licenced and this will involve a fairly long process of going back to college - search for threads on this on here.

Be aware that apartments may not be cheaper in some areas than houses. For example, where i live in Mandurah, a lot of apartments are new and flash, so you can be paying more than you would for a house.

The other thing is how long do you mind commuting?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Budget, and location, location, location.
budgeted for a car?
Reliant on public transport?
Time of day commuting?
Which burbs SPECIFICALLY are you commuting to?

Also factor in interests? You young clubbing night owls? (if so don't bother with perth )

Into shopping? (again don't bother with Perth)

You got ankle biters? that may impact on location....

How long it takes you to find a rental depends on... Budget... Luck... Dedication to finding one....

I met some one who was going home after 4 months of living in holiday accommodation...their problem was they couldn't afford the area they wanted, wouldn't compromise and had been to THREE rental home opens... All of which were above their budget, hoping to beat the agent down....Go figure.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. I won't know where I'll exactly be working south of the river until Jan. What I really need is accommodation for 6 months until I get to know the areas I may want to live long term. No children. Not too bothered about how posh the place is, would be happy with a studio flat with parking, dont need a garden. Just would prefer it to be a safe area. I will be buying a car ASAP and intend to commute by car. Is commuting bad across the city. Will need to be in Joondalup for about 8-8:30? I would like the option to go by train if there are traffic problems. I really am at a loss for areas to look tho. My priority will be a hassle free commute for first three months.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Katarina222 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, me and my partner are in a similar situation to you. We will be heading out in Jan, neither of us have a job yet, he is a spark (Australian born thou) and getting his A grade license is going to take a while although he can work as a Trade assistant in the meantime.
Ive been told its pretty hard to get rental until your actually in the country.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Budget is going to be key.

I would look at getting some short term accomodation at first for a few weeks. I would not recomend you look for anything longer term until you are here.

The mandurah train line goes all the way from the south up to Joondalup. So, i would be looking for rental with easy access to that.

On your income, i would say you are going to have to look at a budget of no more than $400 a week. That rules out most of Perth. I would have a look at Mandurah. It would mean a 1.5 hour commute while you are in Joondalup. But, then probably down to next to nothing when you are working in the south. What job do you do? Nurse by any chance? If so the new hospital is near Cockburn Station

Have a look at realestate.com.au and at the train system on transperth.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you verystormy some good advice there. I'm wondering if 1 1/2 hrs may just be too long to commute. I am starting work with WAPOL. I was wondering if it was better getting short term nearer Joondalup but the problem is I will never find any for three months. Does anyone recommend any short term listings (cheap holiday lets/caravans)? It's a difficult decision to make not knowing the area or distances.
Also can anyone recommend any car dealerships in Perth?
Sorry for all the questions! ;-)
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:58 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Holiday Rental site for WA, more expensive than renting.
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/western-australia/

Car sales site
http://www.carsales.com.au/car/weste...region/?ipad=1

Hope that helps and good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Fathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant future

Sylvia pm me I've got loads of info and where to look. I'm in the same boat as you!!!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

You will find it near on impossible to do from the UK. I would suggest you get somewhere near the airport for a week then scope out something when you are here. I stayed in some serviced apartments on Great Eastern Highway, (can't remember the name) it had a budget car hire next door (although budget is far from the cheapest) while we scoped the place out. We were pretty convinced that we wanted to be in secret harbour and went there eventually, but i still wanted to check it out before moving in somewhere.
My advice would be just to get somewhere near the main train line, further out from Perth the cheaper it is generally.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 1:26 am
Improving with age

cheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nicecheshire-cat is just really nice

Hi Sylvia, first of all congratulations on having taken the first step on what will be a fantastic adventure for you, I am sure.
Perth is a great place to live. its winter here now and will be 22 deg today and lovely blue skies.
Right some advice, we live in Joondalup within walking distance of the town centre, Joondalup is a great place for you to be if you are just starting up, its by far the most English part of perth, I know you aren't coming to oz to be in an English environment but it makes it easier initially if you can go to the pub and hear some accents from the north of england.
You can rent a one bed appartment in a complex in Joondalup with a swimming pool and Gymnasium for 400 dollars a week, I know because my daughter has an investment appartment there, (currently rented I'm afraid). But you have to be on the ball, she put it with the agency one day and it was gone the next.

There are some great pubs in Joondalup and top bands at the weekend. (google the bailey bar and bistro, woodvale tavern etc).
The station is in the middle of the town and is a 25 minute journey to perth, cost just over 4 dollars each way or 3 dollars if you get an easy rider.

Driving from Joondalup to Perth is straightforward just jump on the freeway but journey times vary from 20 mins at the quiet part of the day to an hour early morning
So if you are initially working in Joondalup then I would look at staying there and if your work takes you south of the river 6 months down the track, reassess the situation then.
There are some resorts near there, for the initial week that you arrrive, Joondalup golf course is one but expensive, there are some B and Bs and also a caravan park at Burns beach which is a bus ride from the town.
Hope I've given you some food for thought, if you want to know anything else, please ask.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheshire-cat
Hi Sylvia, first of all congratulations on having taken the first step on what will be a fantastic adventure for you, I am sure.
Perth is a great place to live. its winter here now and will be 22 deg today and lovely blue skies.
Right some advice, we live in Joondalup within walking distance of the town centre, Joondalup is a great place for you to be if you are just starting up, its by far the most English part of perth, I know you aren't coming to oz to be in an English environment but it makes it easier initially if you can go to the pub and hear some accents from the north of england.
You can rent a one bed appartment in a complex in Joondalup with a swimming pool and Gymnasium for 400 dollars a week, I know because my daughter has an investment appartment there, (currently rented I'm afraid). But you have to be on the ball, she put it with the agency one day and it was gone the next.

There are some great pubs in Joondalup and top bands at the weekend. (google the bailey bar and bistro, woodvale tavern etc).
The station is in the middle of the town and is a 25 minute journey to perth, cost just over 4 dollars each way or 3 dollars if you get an easy rider.

Driving from Joondalup to Perth is straightforward just jump on the freeway but journey times vary from 20 mins at the quiet part of the day to an hour early morning
So if you are initially working in Joondalup then I would look at staying there and if your work takes you south of the river 6 months down the track, reassess the situation then.
There are some resorts near there, for the initial week that you arrrive, Joondalup golf course is one but expensive, there are some B and Bs and also a caravan park at Burns beach which is a bus ride from the town.
Hope I've given you some food for thought, if you want to know anything else, please ask.
I would not recomend driving to Perth. At least not between 7-9am and 4-7pm. Nightmare. Far better to jump on the train
Old Jun 28th 2013, 6:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble with an ordinary rental is they're hardly ever furnished, unlike holiday/short term rentals. You could try to rent a room in Joondalup through airbnb.com. I advised someone a while ago, in the same situation as you, that I'd found a room with own bathroom in Joondalup for around your budget. If you're going to do this, don't be put off by the 'per night' price, people are happy to give a substantial discount for stays longer than a week. Good luck!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

I would try suburbs like Ellenbrook, Aveley, Caversham - 20 minutes drive to Joondalup and can still drive south if your job changes.

We are building in Aveley and chose the location because it is offers the flexibility of driving either north, south or city. Public transport may be an issue but I note you will be driving.

Nothing flash but you can get rental within your budget.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.