Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:18 pm
Cobber

pab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Originally Posted by Mike 74
Lots of very positive and excited people on here and I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but...

Think very carefully why you want to move out here. Be honest with yourself. I know many people will say "you only live once... give it a try" but getting your 'old uk life' back can be hard.

It is easy to think (as I did), the beaches, the sunshine, the lifestyle, it will be great. You very quickly get used to it!
Think about what actually makes you happy living in the UK (sometimes its easy to forget)? Do you enjoy Saturday nights out with close friends? Regular trips to Europe? Knowing where 'home' is? Being able to pop round and see family anytime you want? Going to family events, birthdays etc? Once family members are gone you never get that time back and 'sunny days' are not an adequate trade.
Of course I thought about missing family/uk but it takes moving for it to actually feel real. If you are close to your family and/or have a good circle of friends think hard!

Every persons life has problems, sometimes you only need to change a few small things to improve it... not everything!

Good luck to those making the trip. Just leave an escape route!!!!

We received our visas 2 weeks ago........ however!!
I went for a job trial in Sydney, in April, at a big printing company, from which I was offered a job.
I stayed in a hotel in Parramatta which, I thought, was a s*** hole as was every other area I drove past to get to work every morning. Had a good look at houses at, and around, Glenhaven / Cherrybrook which was ok but, compared to here, a bit soul less.
Now the actual work part was a real eye opener. Apart from the accents there was no difference to being back home. Fellow workers moaning about the weather, the job, crime rates, inflation, in fact everything that everyone moans about in the UK. I could go on about my experience but to cut a long story short I imagined that there must be somewhere better to live than what we have here but made me realise that it is'nt a land of milk and honey in Australia and by emigrating I wouldnt necessarily be getting a better life, indeed, it could end up being worse.
If it was just me then it would definately be worth a gamble but when you have kids to consider and the family you would be taking them away from, well, i'm not quite sure.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pab1974
If it was just me then it would definately be worth a gamble but when you have kids to consider and the family you would be taking them away from, well, i'm not quite sure.
I think you were very lucky to get that trial period, during which you could dip a toe in the water. If you could see no other benefits to moving to Australia that would compensate for the fact that most aspects of daily life are identical - then don't come. Seriously.

Let's face it - nobody commutes to work on a kayak across the barrier reef in the company of a pod of talkative dolphins in Oz, any more than anyone commutes to work in a convertible e-type jag down totally empty roads to a London office with ringside views of the Thames and Tower Bridge in the UK.

Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:12 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Oh i think you might well qualify for CHIEF MOD
That'll please Polly..
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I have is with the negativity that some posters bring to the migration experience. Fact is, you've chosen to go and live in another country - that is a fantastic opportunity for people, and yes, it's great for kids to have the chance to live in, meet & go to school with people from other cultures. It has the potential to be such a positive thing - but you have people who's every post has to be from the 'gone to the dogs', 'sh!thole', 'get me out of here', 'I get stabbed every time I leave the house' school of thought. Why make it all about the negatives? I think a lot of these people will just find new things to moan about when they get here.

I may point out that in a lot of ways Aus is no different from the UK, I don't think that's patronising....and maybe it doesn't go along with the massive list of grumbles some people cite as their reason for leaving, but I still live here regardless of that.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:26 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The problem I have is with the negativity that some posters bring to the migration experience. Fact is, you've chosen to go and live in another country - that is a fantastic opportunity for people, and yes, it's great for kids to have the chance to live in, meet & go to school with people from other cultures. It has the potential to be such a positive thing - but you have people who's every post has to be from the 'gone to the dogs', 'sh!thole', 'get me out of here', 'I get stabbed every time I leave the house' school of thought. Why make it all about the negatives? I think a lot of these people will just find new things to moan about when they get here.

I may point out that in a lot of ways Aus is no different from the UK, I don't think that's patronising....and maybe it doesn't go along with the massive list of grumbles some people cite as their reason for leaving, but I still live here regardless of that.
I doubt there's anyone who gets stabbed every time they leave their house....Not even in Baghdad! Imagine the cost of new t-shirts alone? That's what would really get me down.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I doubt there's anyone who gets stabbed every time they leave their house
I'm sure someone will be along in a minute on their way back from the underfunded A&E department that went to the dogs after all the Poles arrived.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:28 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt there's anyone who gets stabbed every time they leave their house....Not even in Baghdad! Imagine the cost of new t-shirts alone? That's what would really get me down.
Why knife one person when you can take out the whole market place with your car, just add bomb
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

This is the police report from my town's local newspaper. It comes out monthly, so the report covers an entire month's worth of crime here.
I have been asked by a number of Shoalhaven Heads residents whether I caught my fish the day SV15, the Berry Police vehicle, was seen towing a boat around Shoalhaven Heads. Unfortunately I didn't even get the boat in the water due to it not having a motor or any steering gear!

The real story goes like this - a Heads resident was moving house so they parked their boat and trailer near the boat ramp on River Road. The trailer did not have a registration plate and the boat had no numbers either. Another well-meaning resident located the vessel and thought it was either stolen or dumped. I was informed and took charge of the vessel until I could locate the owner. I then towed the boat to Berry Police Station to hold it safely. Later that day I made enquiries with 'Glen' from the Heads Servo. As you know he is the guru on all things 'boats' in the Heads. After a couple of phone calls he located the owner and I then towed it around to their residence. At least I now know SV 15 tows boats really well.

That story illustrates an important point about found property. If you find something that is obviously of value, you are required to notify police. Police will attempt to locate the owner in the next two months. If unable to be located, the finder can claim the property and will be given a receipt as proof of ownership. If you keep the property and don't inform the police you could be charged with 'Steal by find or Goods in Custody.' I was pleased to hand a purse back to a Heads resident the other day that she had lost in Berry. The purse was complete with over $600 in cash and all the cards etc. I think it is great to hear there are still people who are so honest and decent.

I am pleased to report that the 'Fight night', at the Bowling Club, went off really well. The fighting was left to those who were wearing gloves and we had no serious incidents. Security, Club Staff and Management did a great job and I think all those who attended had a great night. With events like this one running so well, it opens the way for more entertainment in the Shoalhaven Heads area. Crime in the Shoalhaven Heads area has been at a very low level in the past month. It appears that people have heeded my warning and are not driving after having had a few drinks. That is very pleasing and makes the place safer for everyone.

I am sorry I have to finish with a whinge but it is something that I need to address. The intersection of Shoalhaven Heads and Jerry Bailey Roads was the scene of a serious accident earlier this year. Since that accident I keep an eye on the intersection when I am driving into the Heads. I have stopped and cautioned numerous persons for driving through the stop sign at that intersection. Most persons are locals who live in Jerry Bailey Road or nearby. To stop you need to stop so that if I was standing in front of your car you wouldn't mow me down. I have seen cars driving through that intersection from 5 to 15 km per hour. I have issued my last warning, don't be the first to get the $238 fine and 3 points.
Leading Senior Constable Paul Nancekivell

My point? If you choose to live in a built-up area, large town or city - then learn to accept the fact that crime, in whichever country you live - is a fact of life. I lived in a small town in the UK and experienced virtually no crime, I now live in a small town in Oz and have experienced virtually no crime. It isn't rocket science.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:31 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm sure someone will be along in a minute on their way back from the underfunded A&E department that went to the dogs after all the Poles arrived.
Sorry BC but i occasionally work A/E and i have never been to the dogs,nor could i be persueded to by someone from poland
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:35 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Hutch
This is the police report from my town's local newspaper. It comes out monthly, so the report covers an entire month's worth of crime here.
I have been asked by a number of Shoalhaven Heads residents whether I caught my fish the day SV15, the Berry Police vehicle, was seen towing a boat around Shoalhaven Heads. Unfortunately I didn't even get the boat in the water due to it not having a motor or any steering gear!

The real story goes like this - a Heads resident was moving house so they parked their boat and trailer near the boat ramp on River Road. The trailer did not have a registration plate and the boat had no numbers either. Another well-meaning resident located the vessel and thought it was either stolen or dumped. I was informed and took charge of the vessel until I could locate the owner. I then towed the boat to Berry Police Station to hold it safely. Later that day I made enquiries with 'Glen' from the Heads Servo. As you know he is the guru on all things 'boats' in the Heads. After a couple of phone calls he located the owner and I then towed it around to their residence. At least I now know SV 15 tows boats really well.

That story illustrates an important point about found property. If you find something that is obviously of value, you are required to notify police. Police will attempt to locate the owner in the next two months. If unable to be located, the finder can claim the property and will be given a receipt as proof of ownership. If you keep the property and don't inform the police you could be charged with 'Steal by find or Goods in Custody.' I was pleased to hand a purse back to a Heads resident the other day that she had lost in Berry. The purse was complete with over $600 in cash and all the cards etc. I think it is great to hear there are still people who are so honest and decent.

I am pleased to report that the 'Fight night', at the Bowling Club, went off really well. The fighting was left to those who were wearing gloves and we had no serious incidents. Security, Club Staff and Management did a great job and I think all those who attended had a great night. With events like this one running so well, it opens the way for more entertainment in the Shoalhaven Heads area. Crime in the Shoalhaven Heads area has been at a very low level in the past month. It appears that people have heeded my warning and are not driving after having had a few drinks. That is very pleasing and makes the place safer for everyone.

I am sorry I have to finish with a whinge but it is something that I need to address. The intersection of Shoalhaven Heads and Jerry Bailey Roads was the scene of a serious accident earlier this year. Since that accident I keep an eye on the intersection when I am driving into the Heads. I have stopped and cautioned numerous persons for driving through the stop sign at that intersection. Most persons are locals who live in Jerry Bailey Road or nearby. To stop you need to stop so that if I was standing in front of your car you wouldn't mow me down. I have seen cars driving through that intersection from 5 to 15 km per hour. I have issued my last warning, don't be the first to get the $238 fine and 3 points.
Leading Senior Constable Paul Nancekivell

My point? If you choose to live in a built-up area, large town or city - then learn to accept the fact that crime, in whichever country you live - is a fact of life. I lived in a small town in the UK and experienced virtually no crime, I now live in a small town in Oz and have experienced virtually no crime. It isn't rocket science.
So, the Police inflate their own crime figures, so as to look needed and busy, by stealing other people's boats? Nice....
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:45 am
Australia's Doorman

So, the Police inflate their own crime figures, so as to look needed and busy, by stealing other people's boats? Nice....
Pffft ...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:51 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Why knife one person when you can take out the whole market place with your car, just add bomb
I bet Baghdad insurers hate asking potential policy holders if their car has been modified in any way when preparing a quote?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:02 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch

Let's face it - nobody commutes to work on a kayak across the barrier reef in the company of a pod of talkative dolphins in Oz...

How good would that be though!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:02 am
FREE TIBET

I bet Baghdad insurers hate asking potential policy holders if their car has been modified in any way when preparing a quote?
Ha ha you have obviously never been to baggers,they dont know what car insurance is,and who is going to enforce it.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:20 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
Better than yob culture, knife wielding, binge drinking britain i would have thought ?
Oh for heavens sake...

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
completely accept what your saying and all advice is gratefully received, it's just sometimes I find that folks can be a touch patronizing and assume you've not considered the cons as well as the pros

Lindsay x
I didn't get that at all from the OP.

Originally Posted by pab1974
We received our visas 2 weeks ago........ however!!
I went for a job trial in Sydney, in April, at a big printing company, from which I was offered a job.
I stayed in a hotel in Parramatta which, I thought, was a s*** hole as was every other area I drove past to get to work every morning. Had a good look at houses at, and around, Glenhaven / Cherrybrook which was ok but, compared to here, a bit soul less.
Now the actual work part was a real eye opener. Apart from the accents there was no difference to being back home. Fellow workers moaning about the weather, the job, crime rates, inflation, in fact everything that everyone moans about in the UK. I could go on about my experience but to cut a long story short I imagined that there must be somewhere better to live than what we have here but made me realise that it is'nt a land of milk and honey in Australia and by emigrating I wouldnt necessarily be getting a better life, indeed, it could end up being worse.
You were very lucky to have got that experience. So, have you made a decision then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.