Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

We are headed back to the UK, but we gave it a go and that's something we will never regret.

It has made me amazingly proud to be British, something I couldn't claim before we came to Oz.

Unfortunately, such as life, you can research all you like but it doesn't really tell you what everyday life will be like.

I'd say to anyone you only live once so give it a go, you may love it. Good friends will be there no matter what.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:16 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Indeed he does in fact only last week he told me i had 20/20 vision
You're a prize nutter you are....

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
We are headed back to the UK, but we gave it a go and that's something we will never regret.

It has made me amazingly proud to be British, something I couldn't claim before we came to Oz.

Unfortunately, such as life, you can research all you like but it doesn't really tell you what everyday life will be like.

I'd say to anyone you only live once so give it a go, you may love it. Good friends will be there no matter what.
Good luck Karen. When are you heading home?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
You're a prize nutter you are....

Good luck Karen. When are you heading home?
Hubby going back to UK beginning of Sept for several discussions and to visit his mum, so we'll take it from there. The only snag is that our UK house is rented out till April 2009, so it will be a right hassle if we head back any sooner. Cheers for asking.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Hubby going back to UK beginning of Sept for several discussions and to visit his mum, so we'll take it from there. The only snag is that our UK house is rented out till April 2009, so it will be a right hassle if we head back any sooner. Cheers for asking.
We are coming over in November and definately don't have rose tinted glasses. Although we have not been before we are doing it for the kids. We know that we will have to go to work every day and that we will miss our families but we have to give it a shot. We also realise that we may not like living in Australia but with the knife and gun crime in the UK as it is now what is it going to be like in 10 years when my oldest is 18.

I am with the people who would rather take the chance than regret not trying. Also my OH is 40 so for us it is now or never.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiknAid
We are coming over in November and definately don't have rose tinted glasses. Although we have not been before we are doing it for the kids. We know that we will have to go to work every day and that we will miss our families but we have to give it a shot. We also realise that we may not like living in Australia but with the knife and gun crime in the UK as it is now what is it going to be like in 10 years when my oldest is 18.

I am with the people who would rather take the chance than regret not trying. Also my OH is 40 so for us it is now or never.
If getting your kids away from crime is a major motivation then why not choose a country where crime rates are actually signifcantly lower? Australia ain't it I'm afraid. Headlines from the past week in SE Qld.

Violent youth gangs take control of streets
Man charged over adult store stabbing
Man stabbed, robbed at Miami bus stop on Gold Coast
Man stabbed to death after going to neighbour's aid
Eighth teenager charged over school meat cleaver attack

When I was in Melbourne a few weekends ago 6 people were stabbed in one night.

I think your glasses are a little rose tinted....what are you expecting?

Last edited by bcworld; Aug 10th 2008 at 8:01 am.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Sorry to hijack, But if it's not a hobby do mods get paid? If so I might apply! Watch out world.
Cripes! Where on earth have *you* been?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:13 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hope all goes well for OH and at least you have the security of still having a home to go home to. I envy you, I really do.

Originally Posted by bcworld
If getting your kids away from crime is a major motivation then why not choose a country where crime rates are actually signifcantly lower? Australia ain't it I'm afraid. Headlines from the past week in SE Qld.

Violent youth gangs take control of streets
Man charged over adult store stabbing
Man stabbed, robbed at Miami bus stop on Gold Coast
Man stabbed to death after going to neighbour's aid
Eighth teenager charged over school meat cleaver attack

When I was in Melbourne a few weekends ago 6 people were stabbed in one night.

I think your glasses are a little rose tinted....what are you expecting?
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just ignore the people who say they are "doing it for the kids," "crime rate is high," etc.etc. 'cos nothing we say is going to make any difference, but here's just a couple of the w/ends happenings in Perth I was reading about earlier.
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...9-2761,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...017004,00.html

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Aug 10th 2008 at 8:24 am.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Well I hope all goes well for OH and at least you have the security of still having a home to go home to. I envy you, I really do.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just ignore the people who say they are "doing it for the kids," "crime rate is high," etc.etc. 'cos nothing we say is going to make any difference, but here's just a couple of the w/ends happenings in Perth I was reading about earlier.
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...9-2761,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...017004,00.html
I am not saying there is no crime -obviously there is crime everywhere but it just seems that over here they are starting as young as 12 - 14 getting involved in gangs with guns and knives.

Every day you read in the newspaper that someone has been stabbed or shot and the age of the victims is getting younger. As it is such a small country there is nowhere to hide as such. We feel that there are more opportunities for children in Australia, maybe we are wrong but we will find out when we get there.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
Moving 12,500 miles south enables you to see who your close friends actually are. I've had a few surprises on that front with people I expect to remain close to dropping off the radar whilst others I did not expect to hear from remaining close.

But regarding the original post, I like a quote from Mark Twain... "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover".
Ah. Twain.

Lyrical. Romantic. Quite beautiful use of metaphor.

Alas, in the real world, utter bollocks!

Last edited by spartacus; Aug 10th 2008 at 8:43 am.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
Moving 12,500 miles south enables you to see who your close friends actually are. I've had a few surprises on that front with people I expect to remain close to dropping off the radar whilst others I did not expect to hear from remaining close.
Truer words have never been spoken. We left behind my 2 older sisters and my neice who I saw nearly every day. Since moving 2 years ago I've heard from my oldest sister 0 times and my neice a total of 1 time. That was a reply to an email I sent her. She said she was busy and would get back to me soon. That was November 2006 and I'm still waiting for her to be a little less busy so she can find some time to reply to me. My other sister emailed my last May to say our father had terminal cancer. That was the complete text of the email..."Dad has terminal cancer. Love, Di".

On the other hand, my former workmate Jenn emails me all the time. And I made a really good friend over east when we first moved to Australia who I speak to at least 3 times per week. Friends come and friends go. Life goes on either way. Some people find it difficult to deal with friendships ending and others don't.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiknAid
I am not saying there is no crime -obviously there is crime everywhere but it just seems that over here they are starting as young as 12 - 14 getting involved in gangs with guns and knives.

Every day you read in the newspaper that someone has been stabbed or shot and the age of the victims is getting younger. As it is such a small country there is nowhere to hide as such. We feel that there are more opportunities for children in Australia, maybe we are wrong but we will find out when we get there.
12-14 year olds are also getting involved in gangs here. Don't fool yourself that it's any different to any other western country. There is crime, gangs, drugs and all the other crap that goes along with living in any country. If you are truly looking to get your children away from crime and gangs you need to look at somewhere like Singapore or UAE.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 74
Just leave an escape route!!!!
Keep your voice down man! There's Jerry everywhere!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:10 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by spartacus
Ah. Twain.

Lyrical. Romantic. Quite beautiful use of metaphor.

Alas, in the real world, utter bollocks!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
12-14 year olds are also getting involved in gangs here. Don't fool yourself that it's any different to any other western country. There is crime, gangs, drugs and all the other crap that goes along with living in any country. If you are truly looking to get your children away from crime and gangs you need to look at somewhere like Singapore or UAE.
Absolutely. Do not come to Australia if you think you are not going to read about, hear about, be a victim of or encounter crime, it's as simple as that.

Keep your voice down man! There's Jerry everywhere!
Oh God, why did I get the voice of Blakey in my head when I read that.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

:

Oh God, why did I get the voice of Blakey in my head when I read that.
I'll get you Butler!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:28 am
'In limboland'

I'll get you Butler!
Those were the days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.