Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz (moved from the Welcome Inn)

Moving to Oz (moved from the Welcome Inn)

Old Feb 4th 2015, 4:13 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz (moved from the Welcome Inn)

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Aussies are on the whole nice people, but lazy, arrogant, aggressive and bad tempered. And racist.

I learn something new about myself every day on BE. I take heart on this occasion though, because even though I'm lazy, arrogant, aggressive, bad tempered and racist, I'm still a nice person
I showed that comment Aussies are on the whole nice people, but lazy, arrogant, aggressive and bad tempered. And racist. to my work colleagues. And now they won't talk to me. Thanks BE.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 4:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
I showed that comment Aussies are on the whole nice people, but lazy, arrogant, aggressive and bad tempered. And racist. to my work colleagues. And now they won't talk to me. Thanks BE.
Don't blame BE, blame the poster that said it!
I have to agree it fits some Aussies I know - but there again it fits some Brits I know as well! And probably fits some people from other countries too

And I have some really lovely Aussie friends now who don't seem to fit that statement at all, maybe they are really citizens of somewhere else and just pretending to be Aussies
Old Feb 4th 2015, 5:13 am

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't blame BE, blame the poster that said it!
I have to agree it fits some Aussies I know - but there again it fits some Brits I know as well! And probably fits some people from other countries too

And I have some really lovely Aussie friends now who don't seem to fit that statement at all, maybe they are really citizens of somewhere else and just pretending to be Aussies
long time no speak Pol! I know right - there must be at least one aussie somewhere who isn't a complete write-off. Blame it on the boogie I say
Old Feb 4th 2015, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lissyqq
Thank you for all the advice guys. Some of the stuff people have commented on sort of relates to where I live in the uk! Arrogant, rude aggressive, so at least I will have a few home comforts ������������. I see most of the comments regarding renting is negative which is a bit of a worry as we will be renting to start. I understand there is going to be as many bad points as good but I guess that's the same if you were to go anywhere in the world. Our plan is 2 years and then see what happens anymore advice would be appreciated ������
The other thing to bear in mind is that you may struggle to find work as a dependent on a temporary visa - that's been the subject of threads on this and other boards. Unless you have a hugely in demand skill on offer, employers are more likely to look favourably on someone young and permanent. If you don't plan to work then all's good.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 10:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz

Originally Posted by lissyqq
We are looking to move to the Sunshine coast in Queensland
Quite opposing views you've received Lissy.

Opinions are based on such a variety of personal experiences and maybe more importantly on each individuals unique characteristics.

Consequently I could not fault either Paganlady58 or Joeyballantyne on the way they form their own opinions which are of course very, very valid to themselves.

However do I agree with them?
Hell no and on a scale of ten I would rate them Pagan 2 Joey 8.

I don't live in the same part of the SC as Joey but clearly I see most things in the same way as him.

In fact I am rather saddened that Pagan's views are so extremely different to ours. I have lived in 3 regions of QLD and based on their comments would say QLD is probably not for them and maybe not Australia.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 10:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Just to balance the books up a little on the question of renting.

I have rented 7 houses / apartments in 3 regions of QLD and have not had anything resembling a serious issue.

Not all landlords will be your best friend but if you are a reliable tennant the business looks after itself.

There are regulations protecting both the landlord and tennant in QLD.

I think landlords are tarnished with the same brush as eg estate agents. A few bad ones disproportionately ruin the reputation of the many.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Bix
Quite opposing views you've received Lissy.

Opinions are based on such a variety of personal experiences and maybe more importantly on each individuals unique characteristics.

Consequently I could not fault either Paganlady58 or Joeyballantyne on the way they form their own opinions which are of course very, very valid to themselves.

However do I agree with them?
Hell no and on a scale of ten I would rate them Pagan 2 Joey 8.

I don't live in the same part of the SC as Joey but clearly I see most things in the same way as him.

In fact I am rather saddened that Pagan's views are so extremely different to ours. I have lived in 3 regions of QLD and based on their comments would say QLD is probably not for them and maybe not Australia.
Bix - I hope those scores are out of 10 not 50? What did I lose 2 points for????
Old Feb 5th 2015, 5:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
Bix - I hope those scores are out of 10 not 50? What did I lose 2 points for????
Haha.....yes out of 10 Joey.
You lose for Coventry and Caloundra.

Now you've put me on the spot I have to be very honest and say I would have trouble disagreeing with anything you said but I thought it would seem too biased if I rated your comments a 9 or 10.

Perhaps the only thing we might not see eye to eye on would be the energy costs. We have managed to reduce our consumption year on year (no solar) but costs have still risen every single year. Those costs are of course purposely being inflated by successive governments in a similar way to fuel taxes.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Bix
Haha.....yes out of 10 Joey.
You lose for Coventry and Caloundra.

Now you've put me on the spot I have to be very honest and say I would have trouble disagreeing with anything you said but I thought it would seem too biased if I rated your comments a 9 or 10.

Perhaps the only thing we might not see eye to eye on would be the energy costs. We have managed to reduce our consumption year on year (no solar) but costs have still risen every single year. Those costs are of course purposely being inflated by successive governments in a similar way to fuel taxes.
ah I see - damn solar.... stewards enquiry!
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paganlady58
If you are over 45 you can forget about getting a job. I am a 40 years skilled NHS qualified manager and I cannot get a job here, I am too old. Australia does not want you if you are over the hill.

I'm 50 and recently started a new job. Like you I have good skills and have always been rewarded handsomely for them in Australia - and until recently earned much more than I could possibly get in the UK. The supply/demand equation for labour has changed somewhat recently and altered this situation but income is still good here

My overall COL is roughly the same as the UK

The last person to die from a spider bite in Australia was a child with underlying health problems back in the late '70s

Hope this helps

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 5th 2015 at 11:15 am.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 12:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm 50 and recently started a new job. Like you I have good skills and have always been rewarded handsomely for them in Australia - and until recently earned much more than I could possibly get in the UK. The supply/demand equation for labour has changed somewhat recently and altered this situation but income is still good here

My overall COL is roughly the same as the UK

The last person to die from a spider bite in Australia was a child with underlying health problems back in the late '70s

Hope this helps
Impressive
Old Feb 6th 2015, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

lissyqq is an unknown quantity at this point

All sounds good I guess like you say it's done to the individual and Australia may not be everyone's cup of tea. If the spiders keep away from me then I shall not bother them nor beat them� ���� we are hoping to go over sometime this year to take a look around and put feelers out for real estates/ rentals. I think my other main concern is not knowing anyone once over there but I love making new friends so I'm sure I will be fine (as long as I don't try and befriend the rude and arranging � ����� ����� ���� just keeping my fingers crossed we get the visa now � ����