Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz with children and dogs but... where ? Adelaide ?

Moving to Oz with children and dogs but... where ? Adelaide ?

Old Mar 15th 2015, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Paprika is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Oz with children and dogs but... where ? Adelaide ?

We are moving next spring (september/october).
My children are from 8 to 13 and are homeschooled.

We wanted to live in the north of the Northerne Beaches (Pittwater area) but really can't afford to.

We are looking for a sunny and pretty place, secure for the kids, close to the beach... Sydney is too expensive and choked with cars , my hubby does not like Melbourne and we think that Perth is too far from the East Coast ; the weather in Tasmania is too cold, Queensland seems to hot...

We were thinking to Adelaide. Does any have any advice/opinion/remark about Adelaide or does anybody have a new idea ?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 8:41 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz with children and dogs but... where ? Adelaide ?

Originally Posted by Paprika
We are moving next spring (september/october).
My children are from 8 to 13 and are homeschooled.

We wanted to live in the north of the Northerne Beaches (Pittwater area) but really can't afford to.

We are looking for a sunny and pretty place, secure for the kids, close to the beach... Sydney is too expensive and choked with cars , my hubby does not like Melbourne and we think that Perth is too far from the East Coast ; the weather in Tasmania is too cold, Queensland seems to hot...

We were thinking to Adelaide. Does any have any advice/opinion/remark about Adelaide or does anybody have a new idea ?
Adelaide is probably hotter than QLD in summer, but cooler in winter and not as humid (going on comments on here rather than experience of QLD)

We like Adelaide but some people think it's too quiet - each to their own
Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:52 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Much of QLD is humid, so can feel hotter, but Adelaide certainly experiences higher temps in summer. It can also feel quite cool in winter, especially in the Hills.

Do you have a job to come to as that will likely determine your location?

Life in Adelaide will be what you make of it, as it would be anywhere. Some people may think it quiet, but we have Womadelaide, the Fringe, Clipsal 500, loads of food and wine festivals. There is generally something going on somewhere, and being relatively small, you can easily get to some event that is going on.

Queensland may have a lot more going on, but for me, the deal breaker was the humidity. Give me dry heat anyday.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your answers.
My husband works by internet, he could be anywhere . We have plenty of choices, it's a chance, but also quite a burden...

Adelaide looks nice. We are also considering NewCastle, with a higher level of humidity.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your answers.
My husband works by internet, he could be anywhere . We have plenty of choices, it's a chance, but also quite a burden...

Adelaide looks nice. We are also considering NewCastle, with a higher level of humidity.
Do you have visas, or is it just temporary? One thing to consider when working from home would be the heat. You'll have high electricity costs if the air con is running all day.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Good Point .

My hubby has become Australian Citizen 20 years ago and the children are citizen by descent. We are lucky with that.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 10:54 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your answers.

I recommend you really research broadband capabilities. The NBN is being introduced here, but there is no rhyme or reason as to where it is being put. Some areas fairly close to the city don't have asdl and have to rely on wireless broadband. We are 30 mins out of the city, but our broadband is less than 2mb and quite often less than 1mb.

We won't be getting NBN for at least 2 years. Many exchanges are quite full and I know of some people who have had to wait months for availability. Granted this is in the 'burbs, so if you are planning on being nearer the city, availability should be better.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you rasen78, that's a good point. It's really important to us!
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 11:12 am
Just Joined

We decides to move to Sydney after my husband spent a couple of days in Adelaide.

We really love the excitment of this city and we'll just have to find a nice place to live... and schools for the children.

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We decides to move to Sydney after my husband spent a couple of days in Adelaide.

We really love the excitment of this city and we'll just have to find a nice place to live... and schools for the children.

Thanks for your help

Are you Rose or Paprika?
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:12 am
Just Joined

I am Paprika, why that ?
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am Paprika, why that ?
Because someone with the user name Rose has posted this on Where to Live, that's why that.

:*RosE*:
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Are you Rose or Paprika?
Rose is banned. It was a spammer using an old trick of taking half of someone else's post and reposting it as if it were their own.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:38 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Rose is banned. It was a spammer using an old trick of taking half of someone else's post and reposting it as if it were their own.
Oh! In that case, my sincere apologies Paprika - someone was pretending to be you
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

No worries, i understand.

It's really me, and i'm really looking for the perfect place for my family