Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving out of rental

Moving out of rental

Old Oct 12th 2013, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Moving out of rental

Just wondering if anyone had any advise when moving out...

there is a clause saying we must have the carpets cleaned if they were cleaned prior to moving in which I am sure they were not, can I insist that unless an invoice is produced I am not doing it?

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2013, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving out of rental

Tricky one I think. In our experience, the rental agent/owners here try to get money from you in some way or other when you leave a property.

We rented a number of apartments in the UK and never had any issues with receiving back our full bond as the place was always spotless.

Here, it's been a different story - so so strict. The last owner came around with the agent and found fault with so many things, we had to go back to the property a couple of times to clean a bit here, pull out a weed there.... they actually ended up taking money from our bond as we refused to keep going back.

We are great tenants, always pay rent early and treat any property as if it's our own. Never come across such intense scrutiny in the past but that seems to be the way it is here with rentals.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3

there is a clause saying we must have the carpets cleaned if they were cleaned prior to moving in which I am sure they were not, can I insist that unless an invoice is produced I am not doing it?

Thanks
Its pretty much a standard cost incurred by all in Melbourne when leaving a property. Sort of last thing after the main cleaning is completed.

Plus signals to those driving up and down whats just about to come on to the market.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a bit late now, would have been something to check before moving into the property. Unless you really want to push it (the return of bond) to VCAT, get those carpets cleaned.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Ok, will look for a cheap deal...
Old Oct 13th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Ours were immaculate when we arrived and immaculate when we left. We didn't have to show a receipt to say we'd had them cleaned because they were in such good condition... They did catch us for a scratch on the kitchen bench and dents in the wood floor from the bar stools though.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

how much did they get from you?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

I think it was around $125 - we'd lost the will to argue by that point. Can't believe I'm having to join the rental market again - joy!
Old Oct 13th 2013, 6:28 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the rental agent which cleaning company they recommend and use them. Keep the receipt to show your rental agent if they have any issues with the exit clean.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:40 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I've always just got there cleaners to go in and I doubt you'd get out of cleaning the carpets. It's not very ethical but there's always the option to use up the bond money before hand ie: don't pay rent for a couple if weeks, I had to do it a number of yrs ago after one agent on inspection complained the roses had black spot! I knew from that moment she'd be a total cow about the bond.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I've always just got there cleaners to go in and I doubt you'd get out of cleaning the carpets. It's not very ethical but there's always the option to use up the bond money before hand ie: don't pay rent for a couple if weeks, I had to do it a number of yrs ago after one agent on inspection complained the roses had black spot! I knew from that moment she'd be a total cow about the bond.
Real Estate Agents generally are lazy and hate the idea of going to Vicat

Just keep to the legal requirements and ignore the BS and threats they use on retaining bond. Its not an entitlement to the landlord. Normal wear and tear is not cash in hand for them, but remember they are entitled to the property returned in clean and habitable state for next tenants.

The bond money is also not for rent
Old Oct 13th 2013, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved from rentals on many occasions and never had cleaners in and always got the full bond back, and that is with having a young child around making a mess.

Just get some hot water in some buckets, some cleaning products and a bit of elbow grease.

Put in a hard shift and you won't have any issues.

People that don't get the full bond back either get in rubbish cleaners or are just lazy and cut corners.

The last house we left was totally spotless, my wife is in charge of the packing and I do the lifting and final clean down. Never understood the idea of paying someone to clean my rental / property. But then I don't like paying money out for a job I know I can do just as well.

We hired a lorry and did the full move ourselves last time as well. Handy man companies / cleaners are making a *****ing fortune out of basic jobs people can do themselves. Or maybe it is us blokes are now lazy and jobs we used to do around the place we no longer do.

Last edited by Jon77; Oct 13th 2013 at 9:05 am.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon77
I have moved from rentals on many occasions and never had cleaners in and always got the bond back, and that is with having a young child around making a mess.

Just get some hot water in some buckets, some cleaning products and a bit of elbow grease.

Put in a hard shift and you won't have any issues.

People that don't get the full bond back either get in rubbish cleaners or are just lazy and cut corners.

The last house we left was totally spotless, my wife is in charge of the packing and I do the lifting and final clean down. Never understood the idea of paying someone to clean my rental / property. But then I don't like paying money out for a job I know I can do just as well.

We hired a lorry and did the full mover ourselves last time as well.
Good on you

The OP is referring to the specific area of cleaning the carpets, using steam cleaning equipment which not everyone would own. Its also not an expensive exercise when you know its a cost you incur at the end of each tenancy.

In Victoria it appears well known by both tenants and landlords and its been in all contracts I have seen.

But back to the beginning you are absolute in a bit of elbow grease and you should be getting back your full bond.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes my OH is a fabulous cleaner, he is very fastidious so from that aspect not worried, we are hoping that all the gushing from the agent( which I have on email and letter) about how well we have looked after the property will help.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:07 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving out of rental

Originally Posted by Kelli28
there's always the option to use up the bond money before hand ie: don't pay rent for a couple if weeks,
If you do this in Victoria you run the risk of being issued with a "notice to vacate", which will make renting in the future more difficult.

Do not do this - you will be breaking a legal contract.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.