Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Munich Germany to Melbourne

Moving from Munich Germany to Melbourne

Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Munich Germany to Melbourne

Originally Posted by musicalfever4
A good insulation not only keeps the cold out in winter but also the heat in summer!
This is BIG on BE...

I added insulation to my office - making it warmer in winter.
It is now too hot in summer.

I sometimes wonder if the locals know things about insulation that we don't know in the North....!!

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Of course, if the houses were built to make it warmer in winter this would have an effect on how the house is in summer. I can imagine what it would be like with thick walls, double/triple glazing and really thick insulation in the ceiling when it is hot.
EDIT - just a thought: it is that the insulation helps keeps the temp you SET the same....
the issue is that I don't want to run a cooling system in summer to get the temp I want to maintain with my insulation..

In the UK people tend to get too cold in general, not too hot. So they like insulation to keep their central heating effective.
In Australia, people want to ventilate in summer - so don't bother with insulation - it's just then they have to harden up in the short winter months..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 8th 2013 at 2:35 am.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:32 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
This is BIG on BE...

I added insulation to my office - making it warmer in winter.
It is now too hot in summer.

I sometimes wonder if the locals know things about insulation that we don't know in the North....!!
Aren't you in the south?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Aren't you in the south?
yes, Ma'am: when I said "We" I meant us Britisher folks having a Britisher attitude to things that we have got from living in Britisher places......
in the northern hemisphere...like...
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:44 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

yes, Ma'am: when I said "We" I meant us Britisher folks having a Britisher attitude to things that we have got from living in Britisher places......
in the northern hemisphere...like...
ahhh I geddit

Nope - some of us Britishers understand how insulation works and the same can be applied in Aus. It's just Aus don't want it - bit like Queensland thinks cows won't milk if we bring in daylight savings
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ahhh I geddit

Nope - some of us Britishers understand how insulation works and the same can be applied in Aus. It's just Aus don't want it - bit like Queensland thinks cows won't milk if we bring in daylight savings
Are we not being presumptious - my office is now too hot in summer with insulation. It was fine before..Please advise! I do not want to run Ac....

- it's better in the house, for us - we run a woodfire in winter - and have vertually no need for any cooling save for a couple of days a year.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:05 am

Are we not being presumptious - my office is now too hot in summer with insulation. It was fine before..Please advise! I do not want to run Ac....

- it's better in the house, for us - we run a woodfire in winter - and have vertually no need for any cooling save for a couple of days a year.
mate as you know there's been hundreds of threads regarding insulation in houses in Aus.

You know how to check out the threads
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mate as you know there's been hundreds of threads regarding insulation in houses in Aus.

You know how to check out the threads
I don't tend to read them as my house is fine in winter and summer as it is.

I have got insulation for my office now- and my office is too hot in summer.
Most of the advice and opinion is that we all need to GET insulation, not what to do once we have it.

Just sayin'. (I like providing original debate).
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:26 am

I don't tend to read them as my house is fine in winter and summer as it is.

I have got insulation for my office now- and my office is too hot in summer.
Most of the advice and opinion is that we all need to GET insulation, not what to do once we have it.

Just sayin'. (I like providing original debate).
That's because you need to get the right insulation.

Maybe if you'd done the reading and research you would have got it right
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's because you need to get the right insulation.

Maybe if you'd done the reading and research you would have got it right
Maybe. I'm not that bothered - just challenging the old group think.

Hey Munchen:

+relaxed attitude to public nudity

Melb
+ You can run an old Merc wagon, rust free-and get it serviced cheaply at an independent